New Classic Who Blu-Ray Sets (2021 edition)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Nightowl1701, Nov 25, 2020.

1. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just wish they'd simultaneously release the collection Blu-Rays in both limited and standard packaging. I doubt it would have much impact on sales of the former. They're a third of the way through already, and the overwhelming majority of people who are getting the limited sets aren't going to switch over to the standards.

Tomalak likes this.
  2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't believe they're being allowed to put "A Fix With Sontarans" on the set. They're going to get slaughtered by the press and quite frankly will deserve it.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s bizarre. They went to the trouble of stripping it off the DVDs, which was the right call, so I was not expecting it to make the Blu-ray.

5. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It could be re-edited to remove Savile. Interesting that they've got Baker, Fielding and Gareth Jenkins back for a commentary.

Great behind the sofa groups. Though I can't see Davison, Fielding or Padbury being kind. Padbury reacting to The Two Doctor's should be fun.

diankra likes this.
  6. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure it will be severed of Savile, and rightly so. I didn't think it would feature at all so I'm sure they have managed to edit around him.

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^Yeah they will have edited Savile out of this from the beginning of his Jim'll fix it introduction right up until the bit before he appears on the screen, and all 9 mins between both are thankfully Savile free, and they might even have filmed a small intro from say Baker or Fielding telling you about the kid appearing it minus anything Savile related. which would seem to be the best solution to this.

Tomalak likes this.
  8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With current tech, pretty easy to take him off the screen. Doctor reacts to something we don't see.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like they've recut it into a mini-episode. It would be easy enough to replace him with a Sontaran on the screen.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  10. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 2 is the next to be announced with a lovely trailer featuring Maureen O'Brien

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-f...ext-instalment-in-the-collection-bluray-range

No animation for the missing episodes of The Crusade as expected, recons instead. William Russell and Maureen O'Brien In Conversation. Big documentary on David Whittaker and Behind The Sofa with O'Brien, Carole Anne Ford, Peter Purves; Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Wendy Padbury; Bonnie Langford and Sophie Aldred.

Great to see a B&W season released and the logical first one given it is only missing two episodes.

11. Haggis and tatties

^^^OMG!, that trailer was awesome, they gave Vicki a final wee update and even had Purves doing the trailer voice over. :-)

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a fan of reconstructions, so that's a disappointment.

Qonundrum likes this.
  13. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whilst its good news that they're releasing this (apart from only reconning the missing Crusade episodes instead of animating them), I want to know whats happened to the standard packaging editions. I've been expecting season 8 for a while now and nothing :(.

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far, the shortest window between limited and standard release was 22 months. So you'll probably still be waiting until January 2023, if not later.

15. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it. VERY nice editing they did, and even feels like a proper WHO story. Loved the Hartnell-esque cliffhanger ending they made for it too.

16. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

A shame, though considering how many extras and interviews are put in, the re-restoration work done, and the estimated customer base... Even I must concede that having the actual people share recollections is going to be a bigger draw... Yet it's only 2 episodes, is an acclaimed story, more obscure stories were given full animation treatment (for later season set blu-ray release I suspect since Macra Terror and Faceless Ones and the rest of season 4, save for one story, got full treatment despite more than half the stories not existing in the archives. Which reminds, will Highlanders also get a full animation? It's far more obscure than most of season 4, and was the last historical made for decades because - despite the awesomeness of rightfully fan-favorite companion Jamie - wasn't the most popular story put out in 1966. Then again, nothing survives in visual form and for all we know it'd be as good as "The Enemy of the World" if enough episodes were recovered, since audio alone doesn't always sell a story. Indeed, Enemy of the World and Underwater Menace both seemed to stink until adjacent episodes were found - then re-viewed, Enemy is an all-time great and Menace was actually very compelling, with its third part being filler - made a little more passable due to the weight of 2's build-up and plotting. I hope TUM also gets animated; given a choice between a Hartnell season and Troughton, as much as I adore the historicals, I'd rather see season 4 get fully animated because it's the best season since season 1. IMHO... of course, how they deal with Marco Polo...)

Mr Awe likes this.
  17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, there won't be any more DW animations, at least for a while. The animations were a collaboration between BBC Studios and BBC America, and BBCA has pulled their funding. It's a real shame as we were closing in on having some of the early seasons completed.

Hopefully, they'll find funding elsewhere and resume!

Doctor Animations Cancelled

18. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

So now that the dust has had a chance to settle from the end of Chibnall/RTD returning/Disney entering the picture... whither this series? We've heard nothing about their plans post Season 2, except that the Whittaker logo is staying on the packaging going forward.

19. Haggis and tatties

Maybe with all the money Disney is pouring into the show some might find its way into making more animations of those missing episodes still to be done.

Mr Awe likes this.
  20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's normal. Season 2 was only announced 3 months ago. For a series only releasing 2-3 sets a year, there are gaps without knowing what's next.