New 2017 titles and blurbs - DTI, McCormack DS9, and more!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm aware.

The whole thing actually is a result of @8of5 's absence. In the past I used his Schedule pages for looking up things if I wasn't sure about something. But since those are out of date now, I started to have my own upcoming stuff excel sheet, and since I also had a dormant blog, I figured why the hell not use it to store information online and have something to link to when questions are asked here for example.

Kind of good timing that @Star Of Bethlehem was asking now, since I just finished the basic set-up for the blog over the last few days. It's still WIP, I will add entries for all upcoming books for example and plan to post news entries, but I don't plan to expand beyond what 8of5 had under the prose filter on his schedule pages.

There's were my decision making re: Travel Guide comes into play, as I disagree to a degree with 8of5 here. For lack of a better term the travel guide is fictional non-fiction in my opinion, so there is a point to be made to include it on my blog, on the other hand it doesn't have a real narrative.

Leto_II, Idran and ryan123450 like this.
  2. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that's a tough one. I'm starting to treat things like the travel guides, the Klingon Art of War, the Federation history, etc as fiction when I'm figuring things out.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tend to think of that kind of stuff as in universe non-fiction.

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anybody know what's going to happen post-Boldly Go? The series stops at 6 issues.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was the new ongoing series? Are you sure that isn't just the end of the current arc?

6. Laura Cynthia Chambers

MA may be mistaken....

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see anything about the series ending at #6, that's just the latest issue that we know about.

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Of course they are, well, in the sense that MA is a Wiki and they are made possible by what the users know and can add in their spare time so because nothing is known beyond issue six doesn't mean that only six issues will exist.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  9. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Well, the seventh has been announced.

No word on upcoming TOS novels yet?

10. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

They changed their schedule, so that now TOS novels are only released in anniversary years.
    Now we'll have to start a campaign and call it "Save Greg Cox from starvation"

:p

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Typically they'll make some kind of announcement if an ongoing series like Boldly Go is coming to an end. They also usually only announce issues a few months in advance.

12. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Well, technically, it's the fifty first anniversary now...:hugegrin:

13. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Not until September if you want to get really technical. :p

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, yet, but know that Discovery has been delayed again, I'm asuming the novel set for May also will be. Anything new about what will be released instead of that?

15. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

David Mack answered this in the DSC Tie in thread:
    Dayton Ward answered this in the DSC Tie in thread:

Markonian and Mage like this.
  16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Wait, does that mean the Discovery TPB wasn't taking the place of a MMPB in the schedule? Wouldn't that imply we have a hole for an April/May book, between "Control" and "Hearts and Minds"? As well as a July/August novel, between Enigma Tales and Patterns of Interference, though that's further enough down the line that it's not too weird that it remains unannounced/undated.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, originally next Voyager novel was supposed to be released at the end of April, but that got postponed because of Kirsten Beyer's work on Discovery and her supervisory role with the Discovery novel. I guess the slot was left empty with the thinking being we'd have the Discovery novel a few weeks later as compensation. I guess now we'll just have the Discovery novel clustered among regular releases in the fall.

18. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And we're still left wondering if anything with fill that hole. It's odd to me (though I'm not complaining) that there aren't any TOS novels on the schedule as far as the eye can see. I think it's time for Margaret to appear on one of the Treklit podcasts.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if the lack of TOS novels this year is related to Discovery being set in the 23rd century and so Pocket is holding off on 23rd century novels until they get some idea on if or how the show will impact the dynamic of that century, as there aren't any Seekers novels planned this year either. Pocket did something similar in 2008, when their schedule was done up they believed Trek XI would be released that year and so they stayed away from TOS and Vanguard until they were able to see how the movie would impact the 23rd century.

Or I could just be overthinking things and there could be a much simpler explanation of Pocket wanting to push TNG novels because of this year being its 30th anniversary.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe they'll publish some of the never released in paperback e-books in a collection, that was what happened last time there was a hole in the schedule. But we might be too close to the release month for a whole new project like that to be started.

Avro Arrow likes this.