New 2017 titles and blurbs - DTI, McCormack DS9, and more!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Oct 18, 2016.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

A bunch of new titles have shown up at Amazon, filling out the summer 2017 releases!

The previously-announced Hearts and Minds from Dayton Ward gets a June release (street date May 30th):
    June 19 sees the release of another DTI eBook from CLB, Shield of the Gods, featuring the Aegis:
    And, last but no means least, a new Una McCormack DS9 novel, Enigma Tales, is the July release (out June 28), and yes, it's a Garak story... :)
    Interestingly, that leaves a gap in the schedule at the moment - no May book (end of April street date) is currently listed. Could it be a space for David Mack's Discovery novel (although it might be released later in the month than normal, depending on the series airdates...)? Alternatively, the schedule may not yet have caught up with the delay to Kirsten's Architects of Infinity.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for posting this book news. They all sound like great books. Una's Novel sounds really exciting. I'm so glad we'll be getting 2 new ds9 books next year yay!:biggrin::bolian:

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great news as always!

Markonian likes this.
  4. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I'm looking forward to all of these, though I am currently not sure how I'll deal with Hearts and Minds, as I love Dayton's 20th century stuff, but I am currently not catched up on all the TNG stuff. Cross Cult will release Aramgeddon's Arrow in June 2017 so I might have to scratch all my plans to catch up with post-Nemesis Trek, so that I can read it as soon as possible.

5. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Awesome news!

6. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Really looking forward to the DS9 novel after reading that blurb.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of those sound great.
    Hopefully if I'm lucky I'll be caught up with the TNG and 20th Century stuff by June.
    Hmm, so I wonder if this means DTI e-books will be a regular thing now.
    I can't not be excited for a Una McCormack Cardassia/Garak story, and I'm really excited to see her bring Natima Lang back. When was the last time we saw Natima?

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, I basically approached it (at least the last two parts) as a trilogy. The three e-novellas together add up to the length of a novel, and I've structured them so that they could sort of work as a novel-length story in three parts, with each installment growing out of the events of the previous one. (Although I don't know if there's any realistic prospect of them ever being collected that way, so don't get your hopes up. Would be nice, though.)

Part of the basic idea behind the DTI, after all, is that they aren't swashbuckling action heroes like Starfleet personnel, and thus they shouldn't really be having adventures on a regular basis. I can't rule out the possibility of doing more in the future -- after all, they keep asking me for more -- but doing it too regularly would strain the premise, I think.

9. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shame, that. That could change, right?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize the e-books were connected like that. Thanks for the explanation.

11. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

That's part of the charm of the series, though; that our heroes aren't adventurers, they're bureaucrats.

12. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I shouldn't wish my life away, but I'd gladly skip a few months to read all of these!

13. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess that's what the guest characters are for. But you'd think they'd have a division for that.

14. Plaristes

Plaristes Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't think that a good DTI story would have to be an adventure. It could just involve figuring out a temporal mystery of some sort, right?

15. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Oh huh. Lije Dulmer and R. Daneel Lucsly? :D

16. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

That Una novel sounds amazing!!!!! I love that it is about academia and politics. Most excellent.

Markonian and Jinn like this.
  17. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks fascinating. I've not read anything from the 2016 releases though they're collecting dust in my kindle. Now that I'm taking medical leave to fight this cancer of mine I just might get caught up.

Leto_II and GaryH like this.
  18. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Wow, Dayton Ward goes from the 1960s to the 1980s to the 2030s. I hope we get to see lots of the fictitious pre-World War III state of Earth.

Aegis! Oh yes.

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have done a long overdue update to the upcoming books list on a another forum, and while I think I have everything covered I figured I could ask here if I have missed anything? Maybe it even is helpful for someone here.

Star Trek

January 2017: The Face of the Unknown * Christopher L. Bennett

The Next Generation

February 2017: Headlong Flight * Dayton Ward
    June 2017: Hearts and Minds * Dayton Ward

Deep Space Nine

March 2017: The Long Mirage * David R. George III
    July 2017: Enigma Tales * Una McCormack

Voyager

October 2017: Architects of Infinity * Kirsten Beyer
    tba: To Lose the Earth * Kirsten Beyer

Enterprise

No books announced at the moment

New Frontier

U.S.S. Titan

2018: Fortune of War * David Mack

Seekers

MISC

October 2016: Prey, Book One: Hell's Heart * John Jackson Miller
    October 2016: Strange New Worlds 2016 * various
    November 2016: Prey, Book Two: The Jackal's Trick * John Jackson Miller
    December 2016: Prey, Book Three: The Hall of Heroes * John Jackson Miller
    December 2016: Prometheus, Book One: Fire against Fire * Christian Humberg & Bernd Perplies (Published by Cross Cult; eBook only; translation of the German trilogy)
    January 2017: Prometheus, Book Two: The Source Of All Fury * Christian Humberg & Bernd Perplies (Published by Cross Cult; eBook only; translation of the German trilogy)
    February 2017: Prometheus, Book Three: Into The Heart Of Chaos * Christian Humberg & Bernd Perplies (Published by Cross Cult; eBook only; translation of the German trilogy)
    April 2017: Section 31: Control * David Mack
    May (?) 2017: Discovery tie in novel #1 * David Mack (/w Kirsten Beyer)
    June 2017: DTI: Shield of the Gods * Christopher L. Bennett (eBook only)

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear that, @CaptainDonovin. Good luck.

Markonian and CaptainDonovin like this.