NBA 2014-2015 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Oct 28, 2014.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Every team that has been tanking has plans that go beyond just tanking. And so far, Hinkie hasn't managed to do much more than horde future picks and potential picks by trading away the team's pre-tank young talent. This IS the same guy who placed the future hopes of the franchise on Andrew Bynum's blown out knees. So I wonder what it is that Hinkie is doing that is so smart.

This may very well be his smartest move; kick up a bunch of dust in order to prolong the period before people begin to wonder when his plan will yield results in the won/lost column. You guys have the No 1 pick from last season's draft, the No. 3 pick this year, and don't the Sixers also have Nerlens Noel, yet another lottery pick? That is an extremely talented core.

I'd be calling for Hinkie's head if the Sixers don't show major improvement in 2 seasons. If they aren't a serious contender to make the Finals in 3 seasons, Hinkie would have to go. But, I'm a Lakers fan and am probably more impatient than most NBA fans. :)

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Hinkie was hired a year after the Bynum trade. I think he was critical of it and told them they screwed up.

The 76ers literally traded Kyle Korver for nothing when you add everything up, so Hinkie was a clear step in the right direction because he at least pays attention to these things. Everything is about calculated risks and playing the odds. But his philosophy is a calculated risk that doesn't pan out is OK as long as the calculation was correct (and you do 20 or 30 of these and they'll work more often than not).

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Harden chokes! At least hoist the 3 or drive the lane with 5 seconds left, jeez!

Great game though... be interesting to see if the Rockets can hold serve.

I'm thinking LeBron's Cavs will take the Hawks in 5, unfortunately, unless Bud-ball can be executed to perfection.

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Don't think he really choked, I have a feeling that the pass might have been because Harden thought the trailing player was Brewer or Ariza and not Harden. Things happen kind of fast there. Harden played a ridiculous game. Timeout should have been called as soon as Harden passed to Howard though.

It's been a really strong series so far and the question of whether or not Curry can maintain his level of play in the post season has been answered.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The Rockets are playing like they'd rather be on the golf course than competing for a championship. They're gong to get blown out if they're not careful.

--Sran

6. Borgminister

Shameful, Rockets. Just shameful.

7. Captain Clark Terrell

^You said it. They looked like they didn't even want to be out there. The image I'll remember from this game was Stephen Curry out-jumping and out-muscling Dwight Howard--yes, you read that correctly--to grab an offensive rebound. Stephen Curry isn't that much bigger than the average human being, yet he's throwing himself in there with the big boys because it's what his team needs him to do. It's too bad the Rockets are apparently already thinking about summer vacation; this had the potential to be a great series.

--Sran

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Steph hasn't reached superstar status yet, I think this playoffs he will. That was a hell of a performance last night, and the Rockets look dead in the water. I was very surprised to because I thought Game 3 was the game the Warriors were going to lose, being on the road, first game of the Conference finals in Houston. It seemed like the only guy who showed up last night was Houston was Howard but the Warriors just smothered them all night long. I still think Houston will get a game, but Warriors are not losing two games at Oracle, no matter what people might say about how Houston came back from 3-1 to beat the clippers.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

^He's definitely the most watchable player in the league from an entertainment standpoint. Every game, he seems to do something he's never done before. I hope youngsters are watching Curry and realizing that his ascent into basketball's elite happened because he mastered the basics of the game and built on the foundation his father taught him when he was a boy, not because he makes highlight-reel players (though he does that, too).

--Sran

10. gblews

This series is telling us more about the Clippers than it's telling us about the Rockets. Pretty obvious the Rox are pretty much a one man show offensively and even with Ariza and Howard, are only slightly above average on defense. Rox should never should made it out of the second round. Were it not for the Clip's lack of heart (and coaching) they would'nt have. Although I believe the Dubs will eventually be the NBA champs this season, I don't think the WCF would be sitting at 3-0 if the Clips...weren't the Clippers.

The LeBrons had better finish off pathetic ATL, which had little chance even if healthy, as soon as possible. They're going to need as much recovery time as they can get.

11. Borgminister

Dubs had better finish the Rockets too--Curry might be a bit banged up still and rest always helps.

12. Borgminister

Now we'll find out if the Cavs are really that good. Get ready for some cramping!

13. gblews

They play in the east so how "good" can they really be? :) But, they could theoretically, pull off the upset although in the NBA, upsets rarely occur in the Finals.

It has been noted that this is LeBron's 5th straight Finals. That's great although it would not have happened if he played in the west.

Also, how come no one mentions that LeBron has been in the Finals a total of 5 times and has one only twice? He's 2-3 which to me spells, well maybe not LOSER, but certainly something short of "winner". If this were Kobe's record in the Finals, the criticism would be 10 times louder than it is. But LeBron skates along with everyone saying how much better he makes his teams, with his losing record in the Finals, while his teammates and coaches take all of the blame.

If things go per script, he will be 2-4 after the '15 Finals. I just wonder when it will become apparent that a lot of LeBron's success getting to the Finals has to do with competition that is inferior to the competition in the western conference.

14. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

The Cavs were one of the worst teams in the league last year. In comes free agent LeBron and they're in the Finals.

It's a team game. He can be the best player in the Finals and still lose. It doesn't make much sense to me to denigrate him for that.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

^Nor does it make sense to marginalize his getting to the Finals with different teams.

Everyone likes to point out the East's inferiority but neglects to also mention that only LeBron seems to be able to get to the championship round each season. Since 2006-07, when LeBron played in his first finals, he has reached either the Eastern Conference Finals or the NBA Finals in every season except the 2009-10 season, his last during his first tenure in Cleveland. If what he's done is that easy, why is he the only person who keeps doing it?

--Sran

16. gblews

^Because he plays in the east. LeBron's a great player don't get me wrong, I'm not denigrating him, but there is no way he gets to 6 Finals if he played in the west.

His Cavs Finals' teams (including, and especially, the current one) would likely have been knocked out of the west playoffs in the first or second rounds of their respective playoffs. His second Miami Finals team might have made it to the Finals in the west but that is a solid "maybe".

17. Borgminister

Crazy thing is, I think LeBron's experience and his supporting cast give the Cavs a shot, if only because of his experience playing in the finals on multiple occasions.

As good as the Dubs are, they are there for the first time, tend to turn the ball over in stretches, and could be ueber-amped and nervous.

You can bet LeBron is going to do everything he can to get that first win and place even more pressure on GS to perform well.

And both Curry and Klay better keep an eye out for Dellavediver. :p

18. gblews

Oh, the Cavs definitely have a shot, especially if Kyrie Irving can play close to 100%. I think he might be the key to the series for the Cavs because he can negate some of the damage Curry does.

Can the Cavs get a win in the Dub's home where they are like 40 (something) and 3 and then sweep in Cle? That's almost what they have to do in order to get a ring, I think. Cavs can't afford to lose one at home because I don't think they'll be able to win 2 on the road ( especially a game 6 or 7). I expect the Dubs to get the ring, but an upset isn't out of the question.

Keep in mind, first game of a 7 game series is the least important.

I was on another site and found something interesting about LeBron's playoff history. Among players (in LeBron's era) who have beaten the most 50 win teams in the playoffs, Kobe is the leader with 24, Tim Duncan has 18 -- LeBron has only 7! LeBron has 6 Finals appearances so he has played in a lot of series, but has beaten only 7, 50 win teams.

This has to be because of the weakness of the eastern conference. Thus, my original point; that the biggest reason LeBron has so many Finals appearances is because the east has been so weak during his time in the league.

Here is the link to the list: (includes this post season, too)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGDWG1ZUEAA1xk0.jpg:large

19. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that and the fact that he's the most dominant player in the game.

20. gblews

Getting to the Finals is a lot less difficult if you're the most dominant AND are playing against inferior playoff competition.

When Le Bron has gotten to the Finals he's had to face Western Conference teams, thus his 2-3 Finals record. Do you see my point?