Poll Nature of the First Federation?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Annorax849, Oct 14, 2017.

?

What do you think it is?

1. Large political power, more advanced than the Federation and others

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Something on par with the other major AQ powers

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Small regional power, embellished by Balok

25 vote(s)
    43.1%
  4. Government of Balok's species, also exaggerated by Balok

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Creation of Balok as part of his test

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's smaller on the inside.

nightwind1, Markonian and Spot261 like this.
  2. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

So people say

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Or maybe he was by himself because nobody else could stand him. Or they were sick of tranya. Boy is Bailey in for a shock.

4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And nobody ever heard anything from Abner's boy ever again!! :ack:
    JB

5. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Q?

6. Spot261

Errrr, close....think of a famous sci fi hero Q was partially inspired by who isn't Trelane

7. Nerys Myk

Who?

8. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dr. Who?

9. Nerys Myk

I still say he's a wandering Ferengi merchant. Probably got a good price for ol' Dave.

10. Spot261

exactly

11. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

If Balok represented nobody, where was he towing the Enterprise to, so aggressively? Why be off on a huge ship on your own? I just look at what's in front of me... He goes through the whole routine, big scary ship, threats etc, to protect his society. If you don't have enough firepower, deceptively huge ships could compensate and scare people away. I assume they're all vaguely like Balok, since there's no indication that they're not. Just another alien society.

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that a good idea, though, when we learn the guy's a big liar and did at least some of that stuff purely for show?

If here was real intent or need behind the towing, then it would not make sense to use the towing as the test, with deliberate faking of trouble and all. And if that bit is fake, then basically all of it is. Including seemingly having the glassware for parties with multiple participants.

Timo Saloniemi

13. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What was he going to do with the Enterprise?

14. johnnybear

Basically he was testing them to see if they were friendly, reliable and humanoid! Imagine if he'd appeared as himself and confronted a Klingon ship? They'd have beamed aboard and taken over his ship and liberated his technology before probably killing him!
    JB

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The first two, yes, but why would he care about the third? He didn't strike me as a racist.

16. johnnybear

Racist? Hah! How can there be such a concept in outer space? Once alien races have got to know each others ways perhaps but not on first contact surely?
    JB

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we accept the 24th-century spinoffs, then apparently the First Federation begins to participate in the galactic economy at some point, as Tranya is available on space station Deep Space Nine.

Incidentally, this is in my Trek head canon:

Kor

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hey, you were the one who claimed that Balok was "testing" whether they were humanoid, implying that he would reject nonhumanoids. That's the very essence of racism, judging people by what they are instead of who they are.

And you're getting it backward. Racism is pre-emptive rejection based on ignorance. Learning about others cures racism; it doesn't create it.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I've always assumed it was more powerful than the Federation. Balok had to come from some context, after all, and that's a huge and powerful ship designed to do...what, exactly?

I also have assumed that when the writers were casting around some weeks later for something to call the government that Kirk reported to, they sort of vaguely remembered this use of "Federation" and decided that it sounded good.

20. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I went with the first choice because it's always bugged me that Trek, especially the 24th century shows, never seemed to show us an equally powerful culture that wasn't too dissimilar from the Federation. Think of France, UK or Canada to the US. Everyone seemed to be adversarial, and running some sort of Empire with conquered worlds. I like the idea of another Federation like galactic power, and in this case, they're called "Federation" as well.