My theory on why Kes wasn't a more beloved character. Also opinion on Lien. post-"Voyager."

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Jayson1, May 22, 2017.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It actually is, at least according to the American Psychiatric Association. Emotional regulation and all that.

2. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I have never understood that devotion to "canon" as I see on this forum. What is regarded as "canon" are guidelines for the series, not some law which constntly has to be obeyed in each and every situation.

I see "canon" as a way to sort out contradictions andwriters mistakes. If I read one of those Voyager books and a certain storyline contradicts what has been stated in the serries, I simply sort it out. Like when Janeway's dog is caalled "Bear" instead of Molly Malone, or when her fiancee Mark Johnson is called "Mark Mason" or when Kes and Nelix share the same quarter which they didn't do in the series or when the story how Chakotay and Torrres first met contradicts later information.

But that total slavery to "canon" seems downright silly to me. I mean, according to that "canon", Voyager and its crewmembers ceased to exist after "Endgame" since the books aren't regarded as "canon".

And I see nothing wrong in coming up with a solution to save a character from destruction as long as it's not interfering in the long run with the ongoing story which my suggestions for a solution for the Kes case don't do.

As for the Ocampa and your question: "Why would the Ocampa even want to expand their lives to human length?" Why not?

It's obvious that they had a technology for doing that. Maybe they became inspired by what they discovered about the Voyager crew members lifespans, who knows? There's nothing to say that they didn't want to do it.

No, I didn't copy+paste it. I had that comment already in my head.

And the description "I'm tough but I'm fair" actually describes me well! :techman:

You're right in what you state about Hartman. He was sadistic, bone-headed and probably insane. But I'd rather have Hartman as my boss than people like Berman and his co-workers. Because I would knew where I had Hartman. He would possibly insult me and drive me crazy but I don't think he would smile at me and then stab me in the back.

3. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Most people can benefit from some anger management. There are many techniques many people can benefit from. I often meditate to help my own issues. Kes certainly needed some anger management in Fury :lol:

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Truth in title strikes again ;)

Also, I think most people can benefit from mental health counseling. At least, I certainly could :techman:

5. Sophie74656

It seems you only dislike canon when it goes against your ideal version of Kes

lazarus+ and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  6. Sophie74656

I agree. I think most people can. It certainly has helped me several times in my life.

7. Lynx

And when did you become my personal shrink?
    You don't even know me.
    And honestly, to spend a lot of time constantly needle-pecking on a Star Trek character and the actress who played that character can't be healthy either.
    I know about a guy who hates a certain guitar player and often tell the world about his dislike. But he doesn't do it all the time.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  8. Sophie74656

Relax. Wanting to throw a tv out of a window over a tv show is an over reaction...to any tv show. I use a lot of meditative techniques every day please feel free to send me a private message and i would gladly give you some tips :)

I'm posting about a character on a tv show on a board about that tv show in a thread specifically about that character. Maybe you think that's all i post about because you usually only post in threads that are about Kes.

Just chill...it's only a tv show:techman:

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  9. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, actually.

'Canon' is a grouping works together, based on how well they fit certain established (usually by some sort of originating or officiating body) 'rules.' It's not the rules themselves.

Which sounds like simple pedantry, but it ties into why no one gives a shit about your fanfic. Ya see- this forum is for discussing Voyagers official tv canon. If we wanted to bicker discuss fanfic or book canon, we'd be in those forums.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Mad Jack Wolfe and Sophie74656 like this.
  10. Lynx

No, I post in a lot of other threads which aren't about Kes and I do post in other forums as well, like the TNG forum and the DS9 forum.

Recently, I looked at the thread about Maquis members and saw that 20 Maquis crewmembers are named in the series plus 11 in the books which would make it 31 members. But I'm not certain if there are more of them mentioned in the books published during sesons 4-7 since I don't have all of them. But I'm investiagating that for an update of the Voyager Crew List later on.

Not to mention my fantastic skill when it comes to explaining certain odd things and contradictions in the series! :techman:
    Not entirely.
    It mostly happens when someone slap me in the face with it when I try to come up with something constructive.

11. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Derailing conversations to talk about your fanfic and everlasting hatred for total strangers who apparently have never hurt anyone in their lives, is decidedly not constructive.

12. Sophie74656

There are some ok fanfic out there that manages to stick to canon. For me personally even if a fanfic is well written I'm not a huge fan if it contradicts canon because i end up thinking "that's not what happened" or how that seemed out of character

13. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Can we talk about the topic and not particular posters? Please? Asking nicely.

I never realized that in both of Kes' alt realities, B'Elanna dies. However, I thought that in Fury, time was reset? That alt reality no longer existed. I don't know why I got that impression, just did for some reason.

14. Sophie74656

You're obviously biased when it comes to your own fanfic. Of course you think it's good since you wrote it LOL

15. Sophie74656

That's interesting. Actually one of my favorite things in Fury is very subtle and happens very quickly....but the look on Tom's face when Seven says that B'Elanna is dead.

B'Elanna (and many other crew members) died multiple times in all the different timelines. Her Klingon half died in Faces, her copy died in Deadlock, she died in Timeless, in Relativity...and a few others

16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

In "Fury" Torres only dies once. Janeways a HoloKes are able to talk angry Kes from going back in time. Unless you buy into my theory that Kes made that loop several times over and over which means their could be thousands of dead Torres universes were she died from the events of that episode. There might have even other variations take place such as Seven Dying instead or nobody dying and Kes pretends to be friendly to get to the Warp Core.

Jason

17. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Before & After, it seems like it's Kes who actually caused the accident to happen where B'elanna and Janeway die. She shows up on the Bridge to talk to Janeway, and they both walk over by her.

18. Sophie74656

Hmmmm...so if they didn't approach her they wouldn't have been caught in that blast.

19. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They all exist. They live in Fantastica with all the other fictional characters.
    Yeah, Kes changed history by leaving the ship before they came into contact with the Krenim.

20. Sophie74656

That also explains why in Year of Hell they didn't know about the Krenim since the timeline had been altered