Spoilers Ms Marvel on Disney+

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

That was before No Way Home, or at least before the final battle, mirroring the real world release.
    I haven’t seen any information that NWH takes place before Hawkeye.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hawkeye also had a shot of the Metlife Building as it appears IRL and not being the base of Stark/Avenger Tower. So

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, I guess that's the smoking gun, it's not canon and takes place in the Marvel Television Universe, with the Netflix shows.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just saying, these things happen.

5. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

Just saw the first episode.
    • Liked the (primary) characters and dynamics. Also such family-constructs/characters are common in real life - was reminded of a couple of friends parents/families and had to chuckle.
    • It was a bit too goofy/campy at times for me, but it fit the character(s) and I'm not the main target demo (next generation of MCU fans) anyway. Still enjoyed it.
    • the "power origin" story (so far) was disappointing however (expected more based on the trailer.)
    • LOVED the bubble text/comic bookey stuff in the background or as an overlay/to switch scenes and all.
    • Kamala's Dr. Gadget buddy seems to be a genius and as Tony Stark isn't around anymore...
    Looking forward to learn more about the characters and stories.
    Kamala and the Star-Portal hoping teenager from Dr. Strange2 are a very welcome addition the MCU characters IMO

Commander Troi and Turtletrekker like this.
  6. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

I found it a bit slow and boring in parts. Probably as others have mentioned I am not the target audience. I enjoyed it enough to keep watching and considering that she is part of The Marvels I am afraid I might miss a thread that will be important in that movie if I don't continue to watch.

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still a very low 6.3 on IMDB now with 3.7k reviews. The bad reviews mostly say this is more of a Disney Channel show than an MCU premium show - exactly what I feared upon seeing the trailer. I guess it's ok for the kiddies to get a show they can safely watch, but will that show still work for me? Remains to be seen.

8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s certainly as colourful as a Disney Channel show

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I wanna see a team up of Kamala Khan, Kate Bishop, America Chavez and Spider-Man. The energy levels would be through the roof :D

Commander Troi and danellis like this.
  10. thribs

I imagine the Young Avengers are coming. Peter is a bit old for that now

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

OK, I'm a middle aged white Englishman - I don't think I'm the demographic they're shooting for. However, I'm a (very recently) ex-comic shop employee so maybe I'm not quite completely out of contention.

I've read some Ms Marvel and it's O.K., but I'm not a huge fan of the character. And I don't particularly like her powers or the costume which reminds me of the playing cards from Alice In Wonderland. But that's the comics.

Well, I've watched the first half hour of the show. It's dark, noisy and kind of hard to follow the dialogue. I am, however, already past the actress not really looking like the comic character and the real novelty of at last seeing such familiar Pakistani/Indian culture in the USA. And I've laughed out loud.

I like it so far. I'm off to watch the rest of episode one now...

Commander Troi likes this.
  12. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Tom Holland's only six months older than Hailee Steinfeld tbf. And in-universe he's still 18/19 as of the end of NWH

13. thribs

But I imagine he will be play an older spider man in the later movies. Someone in his early to mid 20’s

14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I love that knowledge of what happened during Endgame is known to the public because Scott Lang did a podcast.

15. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it or to be more exact I liked the characters. It was like a CW show but a good CW show with a better budget.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That was absolutely terrific. It felt like the right balance of an awkward teenager trying to find herself in the world and a classic superhero origin of stumbling upon powers by accident, but with the refreshing twist of being set on the backdrop of Pakistani culture. I admittedly don't know much about Pakistani culture but it felt authentic with the Khan family life and complicated dynamics of raising a young Muslim woman in a Western world. I'll be very curious to see how Pakistani audiences.

I love Kamala's wandering mind and her wide-eyed optimistic view of the world, especially contrast to how everyone (aside from Bruno) are trying to make her see the world. I love the animated flourishes that demonstrate her colorful imagination and I hope they remain throughout the series (and maybe even The Marvels, too?). I especially love her friendship with Bruno and how they support each other's needs and dreams. I hope their friendship continues to remain strong as she discovers how to properly utilize her powers.

As for the post-credits scene, we already knew the Damage Control agent from No Way Home was going to show up, but I didn't know the wonderful Alysia Reiner was going to show up, too. I love forward to seeing how that dynamic plays out in this show.

Yup, same here! With just one very believable line, everyone's complaints about how people shouldn't know what happened in that battle are immediately brushed aside. :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

On a similar note; of all the Avengers, Scott is the only one that I fully expect to have a Patreon.

18. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Thought it was really good, possibly the best first episode of these Disney+ MCU shows. Iman Vellani was great and the rest of the cast were good. Felt authentic (though I didn't grow up in that culture so what do I know.) Really liked the comic book-style visual flourishes. They should do that more often in the shows and movies.

Why are you trying to use the fact that it was review bombed by racists to make some kind of point about the show being bad?

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I don't doubt that the show's low score is partially caused by "the racists", its becoming a crutch for studios that release bad products. Remember when we were told that the bad reviews for TLJ are due to racists that hate on Boyega and Tram? Now we learned that it's indisputably the most hated Star Wars movie by the general population.

20. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like they're doing the QR code give-aways again. There's one at 10.14. I have all the early Ms. Marvel comics so didn't bother scanning it.