Spoilers Ms Marvel on Disney+

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The first episode drops in a few hours so we need to make way for a spoiler discussion. I've read very few comics with Kamala Khan in them, so I wasn't sure how excited I was going to be for this show. However, all of the trailers and previews have just been delightful. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the character.

I couldn't find the full blown red carpet event on YouTube. Apparently they don't make as big a deal for the Disney plus product as they do for the cinematic product. However, I did find a "Best moments" video.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm in the same boat except I haven't read any of her comics. I hadn't even heard of the character until a few years thanks to the mobile game Marvel Contest of Champions. But, as you said, the trailers and various press items have been wonderful and that's more than enough to make interested in this series.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

4. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does? Crap. I knew it was coming up soon, but I didn't realize that it was this soon.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It was okay. A bit too kiddy for me. The parents remind me of those BBC sitcoms about Indian/Pakistani families. That joke about food has been done to death. :)

The only thing I don’t buy is her being a Carol fan. She’s didn’t come off as a very likeable person. Also Thanos knocked her out. Not the other way round. She is getting erroneous facts.
    The public also seem to know a lot about certain heroes. I don’t see how they they would know about the Guardians.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lots of people like Carol. It's just the people that don't who obsessively feel the need to imagine everyone agrees with them.

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked her in the 90’s as Warbird. Not so much now. Her character has gone really down hill since then.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Grendelsbayne

That doesn't mean your opinion has anything to do with how everyone else feels about her.

That's based on less than 150 votes. And 50% voted it 10 out of 10. It's low because 36% voted 1 out of 10. So a pretty clear case of review bombing. It will even out as more votes come in.

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It was ok for me, I am explicitly not the target group, beyond a general Marvel fan.
    The episode was full of stuff a teenager can identify with, though, and showing a muslim character/family/community in an unapologetic positive way is way overdue.

I suspect Kamala‘s mum‘s attitude is rooted in whatever backstory the bracelet has.
    While she doesn’t explicitly know about it‘s powers, I assume whoever the former owner and user of it was/did has informed her backstory quite a bit. (I didn’t catch who they said it belonged to).

I was surprised we got a post credit scene already in the first episode already.

Solid. Will keep watching.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude, you posted some "look at this, someone on the internet doesn't like!" crap in the Obi-Wan thread. Just because some racist, sexist losers online don't like something doesn't mean everyone does. Ms Marvel has been out for 4 hours right now. Four... hours... Most people won't have even watched it yet. Where (and who) do you think all those negative reviews come from? :rolleyes: Making a statement like "looks like the MCU has its first major flop" is so ridiculous at this point. I find it bizarre you'd even think that.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Had the same level of fun and positive energy the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies had, which is just what I hoped and wanted :techman:

Shaka Zulu, TheAlmanac, Campe and 8 others like this.
  12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Is it odd that my favourite part was how innovative the use on onscreen texting was? Not just a simple overlay as is usually the case; they made the messages and emojis appear as part of the scenery! Don't get me wrong, the whole show has some serious creative flair, but for some reason that little touch struck me as especially clever.

I'm liking it so far. Not massively familiar with the character, but I think I read most of her first arc before getting distracted by other things. This feels broadly faithful the the character. I'm honestly glad they altered her powers a little as I always found "stretchy guy" type powers to be weirdly off-putting. If anything I feel like they upped her fangirling (fangirliness? fangirlitude?) by at least two orders of magnitude, but then the cosplay scene alone has increased in popularity at a commensurate rate since the comics were written, so that tracks.

I'm sure the usual crowd will be up in arms for obvious reasons, but I'd rather not give them any attention, which is exactly as much attention as they deserve.

Side note: who wants to feel ancient? Because assuming this show takes place in 2025 (after the events of the previous shows and roughly concurrent with Multiverse of Madness) and assuming Kamala didn't blip, then her being 16 means that she would have been born *after* the events of 'Iron Man'. That's right, the MCU is older than this kid. I think I need a drink . . .

13. Grendelsbayne

Where did anyone say MoM takes place in 2025?

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I want a Scott Lang "Big Little Me" podcast!

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although, an oddity I noticed when trying to place the timing of this show, during the end credits, the shot we see of the Statue of Liberty does not include the modifications we saw it with in No Way Home, which were also mentioned in Hawkeye. Likely just a mistake though, and not an intentional clue as to when this show takes place.
    No Way Home is stated to take place during the 2024-2025 school year, and Multiverse of Madness takes place after No Way Home.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  16. Timelord Victorious

SoL might just have been cleaned up and any improvement plans got scrapped, so they returned it to the original state.
    The statue never seemed to be altered, just added on.
    Completely reversible.

17. The Wormhole

But it clearly wasn't scrapped. We see the work nearly done in No Way Home, and in Hawkeye there's talking of "checking out the new Statue of Liberty."

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's after No Way Home and is not winter. So it's the following year. QED.

19. Timelord Victorious

And then Spider-Men and „villains“ trashed the place and practically every add-on was ripped off the statue.
    I don’t find it unbelievable that, instead of rebuilding everything again, authorities simply sad, screw this, not worth the effort, when the original decision was most likely controversial in the first place.

20. The Wormhole

Then how do explain the reference to the "new Statue" in Hawkeye?