moving files from one pc to another

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by splodenode, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I don't see any hardware limitations, only software ones.

How about this, a bluetooth wireless USB stick on both computers for transfering files with no cables!

2. Alaedhros

Alaedhros Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Brent is correct, there is no reason this can't be done. But don't think you'll get rich doing it--it has already been done. You can get the cables for about $20. Or you could use my perennial favorite, scp.

3. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Ooooh, I want a set-up like that! just imagine the files you could steal without people knowing or the havoc you could play - - - mwuahahaha!!!

Damnit I hate having to include this: just kiddin' I am way to benign a person to use tech for destructive purposes!

4. Deleted 2

Deleted 2 Vice Admiral

Those aren't ordinary USB cables, though. TremblingBluStar is right that there are hardware reasons why those can't be used.

5. GMac

GMac Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mainly because using a conventional USB cable would short out the USB port(s) on one of the two PCs involved in the link. USB transfer cables avoid that particular headache (and there's no file sharing or IP addresses to set up), but they're not exactly fast compared to a standard ethernet setup.

GM

6. Alaedhros

Alaedhros Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Correct; I was talking about these. As GMac noted, however, ethernet is faster (and, IMHO, easier).

7. redfives

redfives Lieutenant Red Shirt

While browsing the Wal-Mart electronics section the other day, I noticed that they now sell a "file transfer kit" that includes the software (CD-ROM) and a crossover cable. It was packaged as a simple way to transfer your files from XP to Vista, but I'm sure it would work from XP to XP.