Model Kit Building

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by shapeshifter, Dec 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here are images of how the decals included in the model depict what is going on behind these windows.

So the Tuvok scenes from The Gift are "Canon", and works for interpreting what is seen in one of the windows below, but others depict combinations of open spaces reaching all the way to the other side of the ship and lobbys or lounges?

One more thing, I was supposed to paint out the area surrounding the rectangles of the windows but I made the decision not to do that because I wanted to preserve all of the visible detail I am now sharing with you.

[​IMG]

Corridor. (dark rectangles in distance are starboard side windows)
    [​IMG]

Top window, below bridge. Ok so this one doesn't stretch across ship unobstructed. Ideas for what it may be of are welcome. Turbolift lobby? Random nonsensical?
    [​IMG]

Some combination of corridor and turobolift lobby? Starboard side windows visible?
    [​IMG]

Here is the forward, port engineering hull window. Not sure what it depicts?

[​IMG]

The aft engineering hull window decals are very weird. They were too small to fill the space, or I screwed up placement, (everything else fit) but whatever the case I am deciding what to do about them.... I can say they depict another large corridor stretching to the other side.

nicholasm and Captain pl1ngpl0ng like this.
  2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I was going to post these in the COOL SHIT thread but they're really working models and not just cool shit. So here you go. I made another robot arm controlled by two joysticks and a Porsche Boxer engine that works.

IMG_20220311_112836_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220311_112952_HDR~2.jpg

The robot uses cams and levers to choose how it moves when you use the joysticks. The insides ae very similar to the Armatron from the 80s though a little less elegant and much more noisy even with lubricating all the gears. Only a single motor for each model.

Professor Moriarty likes this.
  3. shapeshifter

I've been wanting to build a visible V engine for years, never have the time, thanks, as usual, to Trek. :adore:

I've never seen a visible VW engine before. I know someone who might like that. Thanks for sharing!

4. Gingerbread Demon

Not a VW but Porsche engine

5. shapeshifter

Next round!

Notice this box has two ships. More on that later...
    [​IMG]

And something unusual happened here, more on what later...
    [​IMG]

The two ships in one box displayed...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This model was started in the 90's, finished during the pandemic. Its box was somehow lost over the decades but it survived.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both of those two ships were involved in an incident. During recent touch ups and finishing work they went into the oven, which has pilot light. It stays just warm enough in there to speed up drying of paint and glue. Well I forgot and lit the oven for a meal.

I remembered 5 mins later, and got them out but some damage had been done. It was tough but I got them into the much better condition seen above. (wish I imaged the damage)

Scars remain though so I made up a story of encountering a space anomaly that brought them together and damaged their skins. But they survived.

I recently wrote of making a separate box for the Kronos 1, leading to the following. The new box:
    [​IMG]
    And inside:
    [​IMG]

But I am abandoning the new box and keeping them together, along with a written short story of their adventures apart and together spanning 30 years. Their stories are forever linked so they should stay in one box.
    [​IMG]

Next oddity in this trio:
    [​IMG]
    So somehow the green pigment of the paint I applied to it mysteriously disappeared. Granted I was doing my own thing with the kit, choosing silver wings for it, but the primary body was painted green. I guess it decided it wanted to be this shade instead. Since the decals had already been applied, and I wasn't going to rip them all off to repaint, so she is what she is. Best pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Gingerbread Demon

The TNG Romulan ships always amused me for the huge amount of windows they have, why so many windows on a warship?

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I saw a very interesting “Magic Metal Kinetic Sculpture” —essentially a windmill that turns itself inside out at “acsthper”

That may work as an Eyemorg ship…maybe a successor to the Jellyfish.

shapeshifter likes this.
  8. shapeshifter

I don't know, but yeah, it's a hella lot of windows. I wonder if creative license was granted or is canon?

That is cool looking and a good idea. Thank you,

https://luckypick.cc/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/1629788342420.jpg

publiusr likes this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

That's really neat. I have a small one of the solar system that is powered by 2 AA cells and it's been running for over 3 weeks non stop. This is the one I bought but got it locally.

10. shapeshifter

Given all the SNW excitement I am moving up the Discoprise spotlight. Hope you enjoy it.

This one is very close to canon as it appeared in DISC, with maybe only minor variations made because canon was boring imo. Also it isn't 100% finished. The deflector dish antenna is delicate and unnecessary to me for viewing.

I got some close up shots of the pylon/nacelle connectors to show how sturdy this design is, no nacelle slump going on here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The main body pretty much holds itself together by itself. Adding saucer pinches gaps.
    [​IMG]
    Needs some touch-up around docking port...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saucer is not glued yet in case I want to do future projects inside...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you would like to get a closer look at anything, or have any questions, please just ask.

11. Gingerbread Demon

In TOS wasn't there one or two windows in the pylons or was that in the animated series?

12. shapeshifter

13. Gingerbread Demon

Just I noticed those on your model haha...... Sorry to ask but windows questions on the Enterprise seem a common thing. Just trying to work out why you'd have them on the pylons unless you want a room with a view haha. Not that there would be much room but hey who knows maybe they go there for nookies, and nookies gotta nookie.

14. shapeshifter

Pylon workers are lucky. You know those guys in Star Wars that stand in the tube the DS fires its beam though, they wish they had windows.

15. Gingerbread Demon

LOL no they wish they had better health insurance haha that whole design is impractical. What's the point of stationing people inside what's basically a gun barrel?

16. shapeshifter

Intrepid!

I am reversing the presentation order from box to display to display to box. Liberties taken obviously but that is one of the joys of doing it myself. This is the shapeshifter universe version. Sorry for no images of the bottom, I forgot. Will try to remember to take some next time I set it up. Hope you enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you! Questions or comments welcome!

Next up, Original 1701 and Refit showcase with out of this world special effects!

17. Gingerbread Demon

Yeah what's the dip on the top front of the saucer? is that windows or cargo?

18. shapeshifter

Not a window!

Some sort of hatch. Here is a close up. I don't remember it ever being mentioned or used on the show.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  19. Gingerbread Demon

Yeah I thought it might be for cargo loading or unloading.

Ah.... Just looked it up, the whole area is auxiliary sensors

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  20. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

It's the same design as the two side docking ports, ergo, it's a docking port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.