MLB 17-18 Offseason: The Giants are preparing for EYBS' return

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Matt Kemp to the Dodgers, Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson and cash going to Atlanta.

The Braves have already DFA'd Gonzalez, so he'll be a free agent. Rosenthal says Kemp is a strong candidate to be traded or released.

Seems like this was a payroll-balancing move for both teams (particularly to get the Dodgers under the luxury cap). Feels like a strategic move for the Dodgers to make room for the Kershaw opt-out and the Harper bidding next year.

Edit: In any event, I'm so glad AA is running a team again. I missed his chaos trades for AAAA pitchers.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wait...the Dodgers just traded for just Kemp. Why would they release him?

3. Timby

Because they have no place for him in the outfield (at least one of hips has been grinding to dust for like three or four years). The guys they traded all have a year remaining on their deals, but Kemp has two. By acquiring him and being able to spread the money across multiple years, their salary commitment gets under the $197 million luxury tax threshold (which is more of a soft salary cap, because the MLBPA is fucking worthless).

Edit: It's a cash-neutral trade. The money they owed to the guys sent to Atlanta is roughly equal to what is still owed to Kemp, it's just that the commitment to Kemp is across two years.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn were similar. I remember Boggs saying that he decided to make a small adjustment to his swing in 1987 because he was tired of people complaining about him not hitting for power. He went on to hit 24 home runs.

5. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

And still managed to hit .363
    What an amazing hitter.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Ain't that the truth. Most guys get in this mode,

Clarkson Power 1a.jpg

then forget how to hit the ball any other way.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Reportedly, the Rays have traded Evan Longoria to the Giants. Neither team has confirmed.

8. Timby

Yep, Longo to the Giants for Span and some other dudes. Because, you know, any time you have the opportunity to add a rapidly aging slugger to a team long past its contention window, you have to do it.

In other news, the Orioles say that if they don't get an offer meeting their demands for Machado (two young, controlled starting pitchers) today or tomorrow, he's off the market.

In other Orioles news, Zach Britton has ruptured his Achilles tendon and will be out for at least six months. Should have traded him when you had the chance, Duquette, you goddamn idiot.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

^The Giants badly need to tear down and rebuild. As much as I’d love to see Posey play his entire career there, he deserves to play on a competitive team, and the rest of the core is aging/oft-injured,

10. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

You got to feel bad for Rays fans (if there are any). This team is constantly rebuilding and plays in a horrible stadium. At least if you are a Marlins fan, you have some championships to fondly remember.

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Florida baseball is a joke. One of those teams should be moved to Montreal to finally replace the Expos.

12. Timby

There's a huge stadium issue with Montreal, though.

13. Timby

Machado is off the market for now; the Cubs came closest with an offer of Mike Montgomery and one of Addison Russell or Albert Almora, Jr., but Baltimore stuck to its demand of two young, controllable starting pitchers, because ... even though Machado is really, really good, Dan Duquette is a goddamn moron and doesn't realize that nobody is giving up two extremely valuable assets for a one-year rental who is determined to hit free agency.

14. Ar-Pharazon

I'm glad they didn't take the Cubs' offer. They don't need to be giving up more position players anyway, at least not defensive guys like those two.

15. Timby

Machado for Russell would be a pretty sweet deal, and they have a glut of outfielders still, but losing Montgomery would be rough considering their rotation right now projects as Lester / Hendricks / Quintana / Portillo's leftovers / salami.

16. Ar-Pharazon

If only Portillo's was better than the hype, that wouldn't be a bad rotation. Montgomery was squawking about "start me or trade me" a while back, I hope they weren't caving in to that nonsense. He wasn't lights out as a starter, but he's flexible.

17. Timby

Supposedly Montgomery is still wanting to start, which is why the Cubs are dangling him. I figure they've decided to pass on Arrieta and his 7 / 200 starting price, hence why Epstein and Hoyer met with Darvish earlier this week. Hendricks / Darvish / Lester / Quintana / Portillo's leftovers wouldn't be a murderer's row of a rotation, but it wouldn't suck out loud.

Bullpen would still be a dumpster fire, though, but to be fair "Theo Epstein" and "good bullpens" don't generally go in the same sentence.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least he's a better third baseman than Pablo Sandoval. I kinda like the trade. I'm hoping they can pick up an outfielder and not have to pay a ridiculous amount of money for it.

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

In LolMets news, the Mets brought back Omar Minaya as a special assistant to Sandy Alderson.

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Dear gawd...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.