MLB 17-18 Offseason: The Giants are preparing for EYBS' return

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

They should have hired George Costanza instead

BillJ likes this.
  2. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

As a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, I am too deeply sunk in self-pity to feel bad for fans of other teams....

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Wade Davis to the Rockies for 3 / 52, the highest per-year salary for a reliever in history.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Damn, the one guy I really hoped the Cubs would keep.

5. Timby

Yeah, 2018 is shaping up to be something of a transition year, because the pitching is going to be rough. If the season opened today, the rotation would be Lester / Hendricks / Quintana / Butler / Chatwood (holy shit), and the bullpen would be Edwards / Grimm / Wilson / Cishek / Montgomery / Alvarez / Mazzoni, with Strop as setup and Morrow closing (holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit).

6. Ar-Pharazon

I suppose there's still a chance they sign Cobb, or get Archer and (name here) from the Rays as rumored.

That doesn't help the bullpen so much.

7. Timby

I'm sure they'd love to grab Archer, but the price will be high--and given that the farm system is completely barren now (they don't have a single prospect in the Top 100), they'd have to give up talent from the major league roster--which would mean some permutation of Happ / Almora / Contreras / Reed / Baez (no GM in their right mind is taking Schwarber in exchange for good talent).

8. Ar-Pharazon

Is Beane still making deals?

9. Timby

All I know is that if Davis got that kind of money (and good for you, man), then Andrew Miller is gonna get paid when he hits the market.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The A’s have a surplus of 1B/OF/DH types.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  11. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It sure beats the lunatic idea of expansion. Florida baseball has has 2 teams since 1998. They are repeatedly at the bottom of the market. So clearly, Florida isn't interested in baseball. I'd have no problem with teams moving. Maybe Vegas and Montreal.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

They also need to rebuild their farm system. When Beane made all those trades a few years back (World Series or bust!) he wiped it OUT.

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Did Boras misread the JDM market, or is something else going on? Looks like kinda just the Red Sox as suitors at the moment, and not jumping at the price, so nothing's moving. How many places does he even fit right now (at any sort of real money)? Not sure I'm thrilled about him, but seems kinda inevitable. Just hoping it's for normal money and not superstar money, because I can't see how he could perform enough to earn it...

14. Herbert

I think Boras intentionally misreads the market for every one of his clients because he always seems to ask for nosebleed money, many years, or both. Of course, that's his job as an agent.
    I'm glad the Sox are not just giving him what he wants. This might be a case of who blinks first

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

well, agree that he always asks for the moon upfront, but usually there at least a couple teams competing for the player, and it's a fight. In this case, it looks like the Sox or nobody right now (until the Mystery Team comes into play, per the Boras playbook), so not sure where the price is being driven up.

On a 1 year pillow contract, he'd get lots of business, but I don't think JDM can take that one when so many BIG names are in play next year, so he's better off taking a smaller deal for more years rather than a big 1-year deal.

Glad the Sox haven't blinked yet, no idea where they are at numbers-wise. Just not seeing how this works out, when the other big market teams don't really have a spot for him, or are trying to get under the tax and can't swing it. What's the deal that lets him save face, but gets it done? Still a little time in FA, sure, but Boras may have to blink this time. and the 7/$200+ thing isn't even a pipe dream at this point. 6/$150 is starting to sound high...

16. Timby

It's because the union literally agreed to a soft salary cap in the form of the new luxury tax in the new CBA, and now teams are terrified of going over that tax limit because of the repeat offender clauses.

17. Timby

40 days until pitchers and catchers report, nine position players have signed contracts, and 136 free agents remain unsigned. (Is anyone going to tell me that no one wants Yu Darvish?)

Either we've got Ueberroth-level collusion going on again, or the CBA is working exactly as Manfred and the owners intended: An unofficial cap.

God, fuck Tony Clark. Marvin Miller or Don Fehr would have taken the league to war by now.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  18. Timby

19. Herbert

20. Ar-Pharazon

The Astros have acquired Gerrit Cole from Pittsburgh for 4 players.

Story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.