MGagen’s New TOS-E Project

The ST V shuttle bay wasn’t too different as I recall.

With the Refit nacelle roots farther forward—perhaps a TMP theme version of the bigger TOS shuttlebay could be had?

Very nice work! :techman: Love your new observation booth. Very clean and simple; I never thought to just open it up. <I always assumed it to be a control booth, and to keep those interfering gawkers out of the way, I put one of those red sliding fences across the passage similar to the one at the end of the passage that Kirk and Lenore walk around.>

Another update.

One of the hurdles to get over when figuring out how everything fits is figuring how to get personnel into the control booths. I long ago gave up on the idea that the little thingee over the axis of the doors is a room. It is simply too small and it would also be all but inaccessible. There are many lighted areas on the Enterprise that might appear to be windows, but are actually instrument emplacements. I have decided to consider that feature a long range aft sensor.

In the case of the control booths, there is no doubt that they must be manned. But there is precious little room "behind the scenes" to gain access to them.

Working it 3D, I was able to find a way. It involved making the threshold arch at the end of the bay a little broader than the studio model. I can justify this since we never saw it except in a foreshortened view. Who's to say how wide the flat inner area of the arch really is. I have expanded it just enough to form an interior trough that can give space for a curving ladder and handrails that allows crewmembers to climb into both booths from below. These ladders are accessed from the aft alcoves. A pressure door opens into a compartment with the ladder. Here's the port side:
8qp0S5F.jpg

With the pressure door open:
FsHo1nH.jpg

Here's the view looking back into the alcove from the port compartment:
HcW4Prw.jpg

But what happens if you need access to the control booth, but the hangar is in vaccuum? Or, say you're in the booth and something damages the clamshell doors and they are un-sealable? The good engineer must consider these things. In either case, the booth is reachable from the lower storage and maintenance deck as well, through this emergency hatch located in the floor. It is designed that when open, you can climb, uninterrupted, up both decks of the ladder:
LzGsDDk.jpg

Here is a view up the ladder, into the booth:
9yGvjnK.jpg

And here's the view as you emerge into the booth:
FTlrNVp.jpg

To enter the booth, you climb the ladder and step to the side once you reach the top. The guardrail at the top is provided to keep crewmembers on duty at the console from accidentally tipping backwards and falling down the hole on those frequent occasions when the ship is being shaken about.

Space OSHA regulations require this.

Finally, here's a look into the booth from the exterior:
CggVSGX.jpg

That's all for now. I hope you've enjoyed this little tour of areas of the Enterprise we never got to see.

M.

Time for another update.

I have pretty well finished with the Flight Deck. The last piece was the forward gallery, which is now finished. Here are a last few renders before moving on. I think it's time to get back to the exterior of the ship.

Another pre-flight inspection image:
zQioG1h.jpg

The forward end of the flight deck, looking to port. The main personnel door is visible, along with the Port Cargo Door:
T85imTR.jpg

A unique view of a Shuttlecraft returning:
7pNs9DN.jpg

A final view of the completed flight deck, looking forward:
BdaHSNj.jpg

That's all for now. Next is either the exterior of the ship; or I might indulge myself by texturing and lighting the Transporter Room I have already modeled.

Stay tuned.

M.

Time for another update.

The transporter room is finished. The layout of the entryway and "business end" of the room is based on the studio set blueprint. The elevation was worked out using the perforated strips as convenient rulers. The back end of the room tended to change with nearly every episode. No other room changed shape, or gained and lost convenient features as often. I settled on a representation of the Third Seaseon configuration with the wall geometries regularized. This also accounts for the lavender color scheme.

The button colors were worked out from screen shots, although some imagination was required.

Interesting points: I modeled the main console from some good earlier season screen caps. When I got around to colorizing the buttons and lights, I ran into a panel that didn't match the model. Sure enough, one of the "marble panels" on the right side was rotated 180 degrees sometime in the Third Season. Probably they removed it to replace a light bulb and installed it back upside down. Scotty doesn't seem to have noticed. I have restored it to the configuration it had throughout most of the show. Also, the targeting readout on the right side of the console is the same graphic that appears on the navigation side of the Helm. It is just colored with different gels here. The diagonal type was not readable, so I have inferred them as "Sinestral" and "Dextral" since they seem to indicate a leftward and rightward rotation. YMMV.

Here are the pics. Comments and critiques are welcome.

SvMXSLD.jpeg

ynihiyo.jpeg

eKMPfFc.jpeg

U1GOppD.jpeg

nwX8YdQ.jpeg

Last edited:
Time for another update.

The transporter room is finished. The layout of the entryway and "business end" of the room is based on the studio set blueprint. The elevation was worked out using the perforated strips as convenient rulers. The back end of the room tended to change with nearly every episode. No other room changed shape, or gained and lost convenient features as often. I settled on a representation of the Third Seaseon configuration with the wall geometries regularized. This also accounts for the lavender color scheme.

The button colors were worked out from screen shots, although some imagination was required.

Interesting points: I modeled the main console from some good earlier season screen caps. When I got around to colorizing the buttons and lights, I ran into a panel that didn't match the model. Sure enough, one of the "marble panels" on the right side was rotated 180 degrees sometime in the Third Season. Probably they removed it to replace a light bulb and installed it back upside down. Scotty doesn't seem to have noticed. I have restored it to the configuration it had throughout most of the show. Also, the targeting readout on the right side of the console is the same graphic that appears on the navigation side of the Helm. It is just colored with different gels here. The diagonal type was not readable, so I have inferred them as "Sinestral" and "Dextral" since they seem to indicate a leftward and rightward rotation. YMMV.

Here are the pics. Comments and critiques are welcome.

SvMXSLD.jpeg

ynihiyo.jpeg

eKMPfFc.jpeg

U1GOppD.jpeg

nwX8YdQ.jpeg
It ain't the same without that patch on the floor :devil:

But seriously, this is all very nicely done. Season 3 added a lovely splash of colour to the room, so it was a good choice.

Head canon, here. Supposedly the Enterprise has more than one transporter room (although in the show we never heard of them referenced as #1, #2, #3, etc.), but one might assume the way we saw it dressed differently over time we might have been seeing the different rooms.

Here are a couple of views featuring the "Wall Monitor" for lack of a better term. Who knows what it is or what it does? I'm assuming it is some kind of security monitor; you know, the sort of thing that should have warned everyone when, a few minutes later, Kirk's evil half beamed in unlooked for...

It appears to be the head of one of the Pilot era Gooseneck monitors, with the screen painted in black. That's how I've handled it.

Here's a close up first:

ou8CCfz.jpeg

And here's a view with it in its proper place:

KcNjmna.jpeg

Back