Message in a Bottle

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by BillJ, Feb 18, 2011.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just watched this for the first time in years and was wondering where do I go to get those 48 minutes of my life back?

God that was terrible.

2. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? You hated it? I love that episode. I think the two EMHs are hilarious together! But, like my mother always says, "That's what makes horse racing!."

3. BillJ

The script makes no sense and Andy Dick does nothing but play Andy Dick.

Then you have the Prometheus take a pounding from a Nebula class starship yet one hit from a Romulan torpedo knocks the shields down to 20%. :lol:

4. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really love that episode, but the EMH Mark 2 is a little gay-ish... I hope my ship never gets one... (If I had a ship...)

5. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    I think Shatnertage would agree with you on this episode. :lol:

I like it, but I pretty much like it in spite of the accursed Andy Dick.

How did that guy get so popular anyway? If I met him, I wouldn't ask for an autograph, I'd boot him in the shins.

6. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the ep. I think it's hilarious the Doctor ends up with another EMH even more precious than he is. It's like everything about the Doctor evolved and became more so even his self absorption!

9. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I love it when Mom walks away, and the "Big sister" gives Seven respect. :klingon:

"Mild shock. Not bad."

:rommie:

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the episode. Part of me wishes the first visit to the alpha quadrant wasn't a comedy episode, I wish the Romulans weren't so hapless (these people stole Starfleet's deadliest weapon?), and the idea that only six people knew how to fly the Prometheus is a joke (how many people would have been involved in it's design and construction?), but I enjoyed it for what it was.

11. BillJ

I did enjoy the other three episodes on the disc (season 4, disc 4) Waking Moment, Hunters and Prey.

12. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I absolutely loved that episode! It's a great Doctor episode (as they usually are), and Andy Dick had a pretty good dynamic with him (and I'm not an Andy Dick fan).
    It was a great light-hearted comedy episode, and is still an important episode for the Voyager crew. And despite all of the fun, I found the ending quite touching. I think I got a little emotional when Janeway said "60,000 light years seems a little closer today".

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd call it a guilty pleasure. Not a really good episode, but some fun moments and nice special effect. Some really over the top cheesy moments too. Janeway's face in the last 5 seconds of the episode......

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Ensign Red Shirt

I really liked this 1. 1 of the main reasons was the music. I could listen to the score during the Prometheous first sepporation all day.

15. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I love this episode, one of the highlights of one of my favourite seasons of Trek.

16. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When it comes to this ep, I find myself torn.

It had a fun, adventurous feel to it, and a lot of great moments (some of which have been mentioned in this thread). The sequence with Harry and Tom trying to program a replacement doc is fantastic, and in particular, the part where he starts reciting Gray's Anatomy, word for word from the very beginning, is hilarious. I'm not generally a fan of Andy Dick, but I found EMH2 to just... work. I'm not sure why, but somehow, I found him more funny than annoying (for the most part, anyway). And, this ep also has one of my favorite battle moments: near the end, when those three other Starfleet ships (with two of my favorite classes!) just swoop in, guns blazing... that was spectacularly cool. None of the usual Trek preamble or diplomatic overtures or hailing frequencies or warning shots; just "Those Romulan petaQ's are stealing our ship! Get em!" Fuck yeah, Starfleet.

On the other hand...

The basic premise is pretty dodgy, it shines a bright spotlight (AGAIN) on the nonsensical "does the Doc have a backup, or is his program contained entirely IN the hologram, or what?" issue, it has some great lines but also some real groaners, and of course, there's the inane stupidity of the U.S.S. "And I'll form the head!" Prometheus.

So... yeah. I guess all of that would make it even out to a 5 out of 10? :rommie:

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I just watched this episode.
    The battle scenes were great.
    The Prometheus ship looked like many of the pointy triangular 24th century ships we've seen on VOY. The bridge was amazing. I loved all the white/light grey on that walls, ceiling skylight, decor, and captain's chair. What set did they repurpose for it?
    oh i just checked memory alpha:
    and
    I thought they looks pretty badass in the battle scenes.

I enjoyed the EMH Mk.IIs conversations with the EMH and the humor and it got me thinking to the next Trek TV series and if there will be another EMH?
    Of course it would have to be a show set after 2375 because the EMH was
    according to memory alpha.
    I started a thread a couple of years ago (that is a dead thread) about it.
    Emergency Medical Hologram in future Trek ?

18. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

It's an okay episode, but nothing special. I wish that the first big Alpha Quadrant episode hadn't been a ridiculous comedy. They really should have used this opportunity to do a DS9 Dominion War/Voyager crossover. Now THAT would have been much more interesting.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But didn't this episode continue the theme of not having a backup for the EMH. So it would be in line with continuty, it wasn't until a later episode "Living Witness"(if memory serves) that after x years, they remembered ah yes he does have a backup module after all.

As for the episode it's self basing as it compares to VOY episodes I would give it a 7/10.

20. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

I really liked this episode, perhaps arguably the best VOY story, as somewhat silly as it is. I like how it overlaped with DS9 without too much baggage.