Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBrew, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I have to go."

2. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Baba approves. Found program to program to change affinity of cpu game uses runs like a charm. Running game maxed out graphics at 1400 by 900. on a good nvida 9500 gs.

3. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Aaaarg! I want to see how some of the romances play out but I just don't think I can make it as manShep. Mark Meer isn't just inferior to Jennifer Hale, he's inferior to every other voice actor on the damn cast. How the heck did he get cast as the flagship character in the series? Does Meer have incriminating photos of the Bioware execs or something?

I think we need a "replace all manShep's dialog with someone who can actually emote" mod. :lol:

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't mind Mark Meer's performance, though I do find it a little odd that BioWare went with a big name (in voice acting, at least) like Jennifer Hale for the female Shepard, but didn't find a big name for the male Shepard. I guess they liked Meer's audition or something.

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are no alien females - with the exception of the Quarians - because they probably have no idea how to design them. Same with Quarian faces. :p
    I suppose you could just slap a pair of breasts on the male models and call it a day though.

Mark Meer is a "BioWare player", like most of the non-celebrity cast, so I assume they brought him back because they were used to him and liked his earlier work. I'm sure he's fine in the other games - I don't remember him at all - but it's just unfortunate that they paired him against arguably the best female voice actor in the industry.

But hey, at least EA didn't make them recast Shepard with Nolan North. :lol:

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Bit of advice needed.

I have the option to do the Reaper IFF mission.

I have recruited everyone except Samara and Legion.

I have done everyone that I've recruited's loyalty missions except Grunt and Mordin. I managed to keep both Miranda and Jack loyal by using the Renegade conversation options.

I don't want anyone to do die in the suicide mission. If I do Grunt and Mordin's loyalty missions now (my last save was on Tuchanka ready to start one of them) and then recruit Samara BEFORE I go an do the Reaper IFF mission, will I be screwing myself up ? Will I have time to do the Samara and Legion's loyalty missions before the crew gets captured ?

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Do everything you want to do before the IFF mission. After the IFF you only have enough time to do Legion's loyalty misson. Otherwise the crew dies.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Okay, so I'll:

- Recruit Samara
    - Do the Mordin and Grunt loyalty missions
    - Do Samara's loyalty mission
    - Go do Reaper IFF
    - Do Legion's loyalty mission
    - Go rescue the crew

The only issue is the time it takes to make a loyalty mission unlock. Normally I have to talk to someone two or three times after missions before it becomes available. Is this going to be a problem ?

9. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well they did have the female Krogans, though they pretty much looked and sounded just like the male ones :lol:

About the voice acting, chalk me up as another one having a hard time playing as a male-shep because of it. Its just so much worse than the female-shep. On top of that my male-shep is a good guy which is even worse since the bad guy options are so much more fun

10. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't say as I've got a particular problem with the VA. Didn't really notice MaleShepherd being that bad. Granted, I haven't played through the game with FemaleShepherd yet.

Personally, I'd rather they stick with existing VA rather than recasting between games.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no problem with Meer's performance, in the first game I went from playing as a paragon to a renegade around the Virmire mission and the transition was seamless, and it also worked well as I balanced between paragon and renegade in ME2. Hale is clearly the better voice actor, but unfortunately that threw me out of the game on a couple of occasions. My femShep was almost a pure renegade, and when you select the renegade dialogue she sounds bitter and filled with repressed rage, which is fantastic, but when she is forced to say certain things to move the conversation along she often sounded too nice and it didn't fit with the character I had created. Another example of this is whenever she talks to Jacob and asks about his personal history she says "I just feeling like talking for a bit" in a way that sounds flirty even though my femShep had no interest in him.

So Hale is the better voice actress and she's better at emoting with her voice, but Meer's more neutral responses rarely made him seem out of character.

That wont be a problem, just activate him after the IFF mission, talk to him, and when that conversation is over talk to him again and that will trigger his loyalty mission.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Excellent thanks, but...

...does that apply to Samara as well ?

I would prefer to do her loyalty mission before going to do the Reaper IFF as I've read that you only really have time to do one mission, which should be Legion's loyalty mission.

13. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Maybe a charity drive where we all chip in to get Meer acting lessons? It's a deserving cause.

It helps when your delivery is flatter than Kansas. :p

I definitely agree with you on that one.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think with Samara you need to talk to her after recruiting her, then do another mission, then talk to her once again to activate the loyalty mission. Legion is the only character whose loyalty mission can be activated directly after recruiting him, because if they didn't do that there'd be no way of rescuing your crew from the Collectors with a completely loyal team.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Okay, I'll leave where I am and head straight back to recruit her then. Thanks.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

My femShep was a paragon, with a mean streak, so I noticed that slight incongruity too. Not much way around it though, unless you have enough spare memory to allow her to record the same lines twice, each with a different tone, though at this point I can't imagine that being practical.

At the risk of sounding sexist; having a woman do rapid emotional 180s mid-conversation is hardly what I'd call unprecedented. Add to that a case of post traumatic stress from extended periods of combat, to say nothing of being reduced to meat, tubes and bones, plus maybe a twitchy biotic implant and I think we have a working excuse for her being a trigger happy bipolar nut-job. ;)

If you can't get Samara to activate her loyalty mission, then the simplest thing to do is go find some N7's and that should give you more opportunity to further her conversation line.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I have to agree. Sometimes FemShep also sounds a little too quiet and soft-spoken to me. I dunno, I acknowledge that Jennifer Hale is obviously the superior voice actor, but I just prefer Mark Meer's Shepard over hers.

Then again, the female iteration of BioWare's main characters being the more popular with fans is a tradition going all the way back to Knights of the Old Republic. :lol:

The strangely flirtatious tone with Jacob was definitely weird, too. Maybe if they'd had Hale go in that direction after the first conversation (depending on how it went), it would have been better, but having her be all, "I'm more interested in just...talking for a bit," with that little smirk on her face right off the bat was a little jarring. It works nicely for my Renegade FemShep, but it won't work so well for my Paragon FemShep.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Anyone know how to take screencaps in game? I think we should all be showing off just how bad we all are at building faces. :D
    I think I noticed a folder for screen grabs but can't track down a key binding and I'd rather not have to download a separate program like fraps if I can possibly avoid it.

19. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Not gonna lie, my fem-Shep is a green eyed, red haired hotty. My male-shep is, well, pretty gross looking.

20. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

I imported my Shepard from ME1.
    His hair was improved upon, though I gotta say that Bioware could have done a bit better.

I don't like the fact Bioware never put in the option for a gay romance into this game.
    Asari not withstanding (because of their obvious feminine features and whatnot).
    They managed to pull it off with Jade Empire and Dragon Age: Origins.
    In ME though ...

I don't buy into the explanation they didn't have the time and whatnot.
    The actually recorded the voices and created scenes for male/male option in ME1 but never included it because of 'time constraints'.
    Someone made a mod that unlocked this option though, but during the animation sequence, the male Shepard turned into a woman (they obviously hadn't had the time to finish that one).
    The DLC content could have remedied that easily enough though.

So, my Shepard is single intentionally.
    Besides, all those females jumping right out in front of you ... it's a bit ... pathetic.
    So you do the loyalty missions, and suddenly you become their prime sex interest?
    What, the notion of a 'friend' is not in existence when it comes to male/female relations?

Oh, and the Asari not being 'female' is just a cop out.
    They could have made the race to not physically resemble females at all (or either genders for that matter) if they wanted to fortify the notion of 'gender is meaningless' and that you are having sex with an alien (tried out the sequence one time in ME1 ... wasn't impressed really because Ashley and Liara just came out on one occasion out of the blue and mentioned a romantic aspect ... so it seemed forced).
    Add to the fact you have Asari strippers in both games, which everyone treat as females ... it doesn't really help the fact.

I just don't get their issue with Mass Effect when it comes to gay romances.

Relationship aspect aside, the story itself is superb.
    The game-play was changed a bit from the first part and was more action oriented.
    The inventory is a bit realistic because you are no longer hauling 500 different rifles at the same time ... but, the inventory as such no longer exists ... which I think takes something out of the game and the RPG aspect as a whole.

Graphics are amazing, and am definitely enjoying the choices and their effects on the game.
    The ending was epic with the 'Reaper' fleet coming towards the Milky Way Galaxy followed by an appropriate music.

Btw ... I do have a little beef with how aliens generally behave.
    They seem much too Human in their behavioural patterns and hardly alien ... aside from the physical appearance.