Marvel films, it's time for a Black female lead

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Infern0, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Gambit is and always was a terrible character. Normally, I don't care, but, I'm thrilled that movie is stuck in development hell. It's exactly where it belongs.

The Nth Doctor and Nerys Myk like this.
  2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a soft spot for Gambit as his first appearance was my entry point back into comics after childhood and too many long boxes later. Of course, who was with him in #266? Storm.

jaime likes this.
  3. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Lobo from Dell Comics would be an unique choice. The first black comic book character to have his own comic.

[​IMG]

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It would be “Congratulations Sug.”.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

House of X has been interesting so far, it could be the basis for an interesting movie. It could even manage to hint at the Fox films due to the power of one character.

YLu and Turtletrekker like this.
  6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Not that I'm one to defend RandyS, but you attributed that quote to the wrong person. Guy Gardener said that quote about Lauren Ridloff.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't trying to be negative, it's just the right word for what happened, other wise it's a movie starring 15 white dudes and Angela.

Other characters, for the on coming movie have been race switched and gender switched, but it wasn't relevant for this thread.

Gilgamesh, an authentic hero from Greek mythology, who just by coincidence is also an eternal, in the mcu, is being played by a guy from South Korea.

Sprite, a million year old teenage boy, who I think claimed to have been the inspiration for a midsummer nights dream, is now a young white girl.

It's the fricking Eternals, they do not matter to anyone enough to grab a pitch fork, if any blighter doesn't respect their roots hard enough.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    jaime likes this.
  8. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Based on the comics, I think Storm is a better Solo lead than any other X-Man. Though in fairness, that could in part be because she didn't have endless mediocre to bad solo series driving the character into the ground.

9. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nah the guy in eternals

10. Guy Gardener

Have you actually looked at Makkari?

[​IMG]

That looks like a Samurai.

Million year old white guy with Ginger hair, thinks that he is Japanese?

If the Eternals are all a million years old, then they should be black.

Google says that whites first started turning up 165 thousand years ago in Russia.

Meh.

Science-shmiece.

11. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Has had plenty of solo titles over the years, several team ups... (gambit and punisher, gambit and rogue, gambit and wolverine I think....) his named AoA title (Gambit and the Xternals) and was key in a big anniversary issue (UXM 350) as well as popping up in crossovers (X-Men/Wildcats Silver Age I think had a cool prison scene.) and tons of advertising tie in ps in the nineties. granted I have been out of the comics loop a while since I stopped my thirty quid a month habit. But I read up now and then.
    He wasn’t really in the mainline films, just a side in Wolverine Origins, but they never handled certain characters right in them to be fair.
    He was in the forefront of the old 90s cartoon though.
    So...

Yeah. Gambit is extremely well known, and for a certain generation of comics readers, probably more than even cyclops.

*shrug* I can’t help it if folks are old.

To my knowledge Storm has only had a couple of limited solo series, some Black Panther crossover stuff, and that Manara X-Ladies thing a few years back.

I am of course, ready to stand corrected.
    And I like storm plenty....she introduced gambit xD

12. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they are a million years old they should be amoebas or something

13. Grendelsbayne

Storm has an ongoing solo series right now. And her whole powerless arc back in the 70s (or early 80s) was basically a long solo series that just happened to be published in UXM instead of being published separately. It was, incidentally, a much better solo series than anything Gambit ever had (his stories are wildly cliched and repetitive).

Also, Storm is probably the longest running member of the X-Men in general (or at the very least tied with Cyclops), having been a featured character in the main X-men books from Giant-Size n. 1 all the way to the present with, iirc, the sole exception of the period from X-Treme X-men to Astonishing X-men. That's only about 7 years off since she first appeared, and even that's only if you think X-Treme X-men doesn't count as a main X-men book, otherwise it would be a much smaller period between the end of X-Treme and Storm's return in AXM.

14. Guy Gardener

Jack Kirby invented these chacters in 1976, so maybe it's little off tilt from what science said was "real" in 1976, because he's writing for children, and Jack is not spending hours in traffic making his way to the library to re-confirm every thing he learnt on the Flintstones.

However...

Homo Habilis was dominant from 2.1 million to 1.5 million years bc, which Wikipedia says is real, and a Marvel database says is the version of man that the Celestials took a screwdriver to and leveled up to something less apelike, and Eternal, and Deviants.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_habilis

DrCorby and Turtletrekker like this.
  15. jaime

So...while we may disagree on how much we like given characters, what I said was basically correct? The only difference being storm started the job earlier? I mean we might as well go with Avengers card carrying Beast, since he started in issue 1, but I don’t think anyone is saying he is more popular/known? Or iceman, where many of us would have seen him first in the old Spider-Man cartoons and were probably shocked to find out he was an x-man.

Like I said, I am very fond of Storm, which is why I brought her up...for the longest time, in the context of this discussion, she was far and away the most famous African Marvel Hero, and for a given period I would give second place to Bishop (African American) till Blade stole the crown due to the movies.

Plenty of marvels merry mutants have their fan bases, but I would suggest that Gambits, particularly in the Gambit/Rogue pairing, is probably a bit higher profile. (That’s why they are still working that angle in the recentish miniseries I couldn’t resist on comiXology. They sell comics.)
    I mean personally I think Storm would have been better off marrying Forge, but Black Panther needed a bump from his more famous Mrs.

As I say...it’s been a while since I was reading everything with an X in (like...decades. It was like giving up smoking.) and I know Marvel hammered the line in favour of its MCU heroes, but even generation X is having a rebirth in recent years precisely because that nineties era is so fondly remembered...and nineties x-men Is Gambit and Rogue. (And jubilee, but I accept I am in a minority group with my mall rat love.)

I wouldn’t say Gambits stories are repetitive...there’s a world of difference between Belladonna thieves guild stuff and the later revelation with Mr.Sinister. You can argue there’s the never ending will-they-won’t-they with Rogue, but that always seems to actually work...
    But hey, I preferred Emma to Jean anyway, so my colours are staked to a mast of twenty years ago, and I never liked cyclops (I would put Storm above him in the popularity stakes, largely because for a long time he was just kind of there...then things got all character assassination on him.)

16. jaime

I have that issue in a longbox at my dads XD

Storms like his best bud. Who wouldn’t watch a nineties set movie with just Storm, Rogue and Gambit?

17. jaime

I actually don’t like any of the solo series, especially as ongoing. They are always trying to recapture the wolverine lightning in a bottle, and it almost never (basically never) works for long.

18. Grendelsbayne

I would disagree that 90s X-Men is synonymous with Gambit. That it was Gambit's most popular era doesn't mean he was ever the most popular character on the team. And Storm was a big part of the 90s x-men, too (I've been reading straight through the 90s X-men stuff for the last few months, except what isn't available on Marvel Unlimited). For the record, I also love Jubilee (and was saddened to find so much of Gen. X missing from MU). Also, in terms of time on the book (the comics equivalent of screentime), Beast has been away from the X-men a LOT. Not really comparable to Storm.

I would suggest the return to Gambit/Rogue in recent times has far less to do with Gambit being popular and far more to do with Gambit never really being popular outside of his relationship with Rogue, which as a relationship is one of the more popular relationships to choose from. I think it would make far, FAR more sense to make a Gambit and Rogue movie than it would ever to make a Gambit solo movie.

And Gambit's solo stories all feel the same to me. The Sinister backstory is somewhat more interesting, but did not come from his solo stories and would be hard to translate to film anyway. Even if Marvel wanted to do it on film, it would be nonsense to do a whole Mutant Massacre X-men movie and then do a Gambit/Sinister plotline in a completely separate film. They would all be done together for maximum impact.

When it comes to solo movie potential, I feel pretty much 100% confident that a Storm origin story or Storm fighting the Shadow King or Storm leading/fighting the Morlocks or Storm questing to get her powers back would all be highly popular movies.

A Gambit origin story? Gambit fighting the thieves guild or assassins guild? Gambit against Candra? That weird shit with the fallen angel? I don't see any of that succeeding very well on screen. It's all utterly generic. Other than Rogue/Gambit, the only Gambit centered movie I could see succeeding very well would be something like Gambit and the X-Ternals, where you make him the central character of his own team and just don't worry too much about where he came from. But that wouldn't really have anything to draw on from the comics, since X-ternals was an alternate universe miniseries and I doubt Marvel Studios will do an entire series of films set in the age of apocalypse.

Gambit is, imo, a perfect example of a kind of character that writers kept trying to force into the spotlight because he was supposed to be cool, but none of his solo stuff ever worked, imo. He shines in relation to a team/partner, not apart from them. Storm shines in every context and has way more truly workable solo material despite having fewer 'solo' runs.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  19. Grendelsbayne

I think Wolverine is probably one of the worst solo series, especially since it just goes on forever and most of it consists of bad action movie homages filled with totally generic sidekicks/victims. The character would've been better served by excising all the stuff about his past and putting that into some mini-series and letting the rest be.

Cable was a surprisingly good one for me and made me like the character a lot more than if I'd just read X-Force, but eventually the Askani'son Chosen One angle starts to wear.

20. jaime

Yeah, like I said...none of the solo series for any X-Man worked for me. Including X-Man.

As as result of this convo I went and signed up for unlimited just now, three issues into Mr and Mrs X. It kind of proves both our arguments really (I didn’t even start with suggesting Gambit alone was more popular than Storm...Gambit *and* Rogue.) and is enjoyable, even if it’s full of the off-world stuff I wasn’t into with the Uncanny X Friends.

Also..gambit and rogue are married now...I am out of the loop a little while and everyone starts getting delusions of grandeur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.