Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

15.2%
  2. A

37.9%
  3. A-

13.6%
  4. B+

6.1%
  5. B

15.2%
  6. B-

4.5%
  7. C+

1.5%
  8. C

4.5%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, in the first movie he said "I never wanted the Throne! I only wanted to be your equal!"

It was more him just wanting to be treated with equal respect to Thor, and that envy and resentment led to his "Let the Frost Giants screw up his coronation" prank and THAT caused things to spiral out of control and by accident landed him the Throne.

He didn't care too much about the Throne of Asgard until Dark World, and that was more out of spite to his family than purely for power.

2. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

You're confusing actions with motivation.
    Loki didn't want to rule Asgard anymore than he wanted to rule Earth, he wanted respect and recognition. We even see that in Ragnarok where once he has Odin out of the way, all he's done with that power is build statues to himself and commission plays about how great and heroic he was/is. With the power of Asgard at his command, had he desired conquest he could have taken all of the nine realms for himself and more besides.

Also, honestly I think most of the time even Loki never really knows what he wants.

Anwar likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, I'm saying that the same motivation can underlie different actions. We agree that Loki's fundamental need is for respect and affirmation; that's why he pursues power. The difference in Loki's actions between the films is due to a change in circumstances and opportunities, rather than a change in his underlying goals and drives. When he had the opportunity to pursue rule of Asgard through deception, that's what he did. When Thanos instead gave him the opportunity (or rather, made a bargain with him) to pursue rule of Earth through forcible conquest, then he did that. But his underlying reason for doing both was the same. His actions were different in The Avengers because the opportunities and means he had available were different (and because he was cooperating with Thanos's agenda rather than strictly pursuing his own), not because his personality was different.

Indeed, isn't that pretty standard for comic-book villains? Every time they come back, it's with a different scheme, a different variation on their trademark schtick, but always driven by the same underlying desire or need. The villain's actions are supposed to be different each time, since it'd be boring if they always did the same thing. But the personality and priorities underneath their actions are consistent (depending on the writer).

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Kevin Feige at the Golden Globe Awards...

He talks briefly about Marvel getting into the Golden Globes, Captain Marvel, Endgame marketing strategies, Aquaman, and his excitement over obtaining Fox properties.

Gavin70 likes this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw an article the other day saying they could get full access to the former Fox properties in six months. If they start the initial development process in July, what would be the earliest we'd get a FF or X-Men movie/characters in theaters? 2021? 2022?

6. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

Without knowing too much about the development process, it seems to me that there's about a 3-4 year period generally between initial pitch and the movie premier. So I'd be expecting late 2022 to 2023 before we see a full movie based on one of the Fox characters. But there's no reason that one or more characters couldn't get an introduction (or even a cameo) in one of the planned films between now and then. It's definitely easier to add a character into an existing film as opposed to creating a whole new movie. As an example, Spiderman in Civil War was added to the cast relatively late in the development period.

7. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Does Fox actually own the FF or is it Konstantine or whatever that company is called?

I'm not too interested in the X-Men being in the MCU but FF and all of their characters, like Doctor Doom!, and Deadpool would be great.

8. Turtletrekker

Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know yet if these are meant to be multi-season ongoing series or one off miniseries?

10. Turtletrekker

We do not.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sweet! Glad to see it's actually happening and that it's both Scarlett Witch and Vision. Still hoping for that domestic comedy Elisabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany joked about awhile back. :D

Marsden likes this.
  12. Turtletrekker

13. Christopher

How I Met Your Mjolnir?

Gavin70, CorporalClegg and Anwar like this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is a little disappointing we might not get Hiddleston as Loki on a regular basis, but it could still be a lot of fun.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Well...now I'm considerably less interested in that series. Eh.

16. YLu

YLu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I consider the Kid Loki mega-arc in Journey Into Mystery one of the greatest Marvel stories ever, so this news actually has me more intrigued.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Kid Loki arc in the comics was great, but I'm worried a Disney+ series would be more like a kid based sitcom (think Young Sheldon in the MCU), but probably aimed at a younger audience. So, more like Goonies or Monster Squad style hi jinks but for an even younger crowd as opposed to an epic story.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I actually laughed out loud at this.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  19. Christopher

The Wonder Years would probably have been a better fit, but I couldn't think of a pun for it.

20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marvel at the Wonder years ????