Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

T'Challa could have been easily introduced into the movie if Loki's scepter heist took place in Wakanda. Black Panther would have been introduced during the capture of Loki and perhaps would not have been too happy that the Avengers were taking Loki and the scepter away from his jurisdiction. He would never have had to officially join the Avengers and could have made an appearance in AoS just as easily.

That would definitely work. Perhaps a shadow agency that feels she has knowledge about something they want. I can see something very much along the lines and pacing of a spy action/thriller with very little in the way of actual super-heroics. It might also be something that could introduce Daredevil or Mockingbird to the cinematic stories.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

"Mommy, what's a 'mewling quim'?"

Grendelsbayne, Set Harth and Mr Light like this.
  3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did anyone know what the hell that meant without being told? Is that something commonly known in the UK?

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'd never heard of it, I just assumed a derogatory term for a woman.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

6. HarryCanyon1982

HarryCanyon1982 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No Marvel makes their characters like human beings.

Your just upset as no one can smoke anymore in Marvel, does it make you adult and mature to smoke?

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's close, given that many derogatory terms for women are also slang terms for their genitals.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's a bit of an archaic one, not something you hear people actually say (unlike "c*nt", which is practically used as punctuation up north), but I've seen it crop up in literature here and there.

9. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is honestly probably irrelevant to any discussion here, but I just found this on youtube and found it too hilarious not to share, so just consider it an example of what Marvel superheroes look like when they're actually being dumbed down. (And yet, somehow, they still thought it was a good idea to call Namor 'erotic' on a children's cartoon show...)

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Ka-Blam! OK, my belts on.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The 2018 Avengers movie has officially been titled Avengers: Infinity War while the May 2019 film is no longer "Part II." I'm not sure if this means if they'll still form a two-part climax to the Infinity Stone saga or if the 2019 movie will be something different. Given the MCU's tendency to move forward in real time, the second movie will likely be set approximately one year later, with Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel in-between, so it makes sense to make them separate movies instead of one big story split into two. But it's difficult to imagine Marvel wrapping all of this up in just one movie...

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Whatever title they choose for it, I'm sure it'll still effectively be "Infinity War Part 2".

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised. I figured it would be 1: Infinity Gauntlet. 2: Infinity War.

Maybe it'll be 1: Infinity War. 2: Infinity Crusade.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Those would be logical choices, though they also might just filch a cool sounding title from some only vaguely related crossover title or memorable one-off. I can certainly see the marketing people worrying that the titles sound too similar.
    Depending on how things play out "Secret War" or "Secret Invasion" could work or perhaps even "Dark Reign".

Actually, having a look through a list of such things there really aren't that many good sounding titles. At least not in the context of a movie. Most seem either too generic, too specific, too silly sounding or tied to properties they don't have the movie rights to.

15. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the Divergent series flaming out and how they treat the TV division I doubt if think current fears they don't want a title to suggest that you had to have seen 1 when it comes time to market for 2.

16. Christopher

Didn't Warner Bros. do the same thing with their Justice League movies? First announcing them as "Part 1" and "Part 2," then announcing they'd be retitled separately? As I said then, I figure that's because they were initially approaching them from a logistical standpoint rather than a creative standpoint -- regardless of story, they're 2-movie series that entail hiring the same actors and crew, budgeting set and vehicle and costume and VFX creations across two films, possibly scheduling back-to-back filming for the two movies, etc. So it makes sense for the studio bean counters and organizers to treat them as a single 2-part production regardless of whether they tell a 2-part story or not. The fact that it's now been done by two separate studios is consistent with my hypothesis.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure the production people did talk about the two "Infinity War" movies as a two part story.

18. Christopher

Yes, but my point is that from a production standpoint, it would look that way regardless of whether it's one plot or two plots. The production people aren't interested in the narrative content, they're interested in the nuts and bolts of making the films. And those are essentially the same whether it's a single 2-part plot or two consecutive plots using the same cast, crew, sets, costumes, etc.

And really, the narrative difference is kind of blurred these days anyway. Captain America: Civil War could just as easily have been considered The Winter Soldier: Part 2 or Age of Ultron: Part 2. Batman v Superman r Us was Man of Steel: Part 2 in a number of ways.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  19. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure we know that, but we belong to the class of folks who will be in the opening weekend audience of MCU movie 22 no matter what it was called just as once upon a time I saw every Trek show from The Animated Series forward as close to opening day as possible. It is the more casual audience seat fillers who they don't want to advertise that you can't just watch this one, you have another coming later finishing the story, that has them thinking of different episode titles

20. HarryCanyon1982

HarryCanyon1982 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nothing complex about Wolverine in the X-Men movies which those movies are ashamed of their source material and go for realism/holocaust exploitation, Deadpool was the Fox Marvel film unashamed of it's source material.