Major League Baseball 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm all for looking at walks and innings pitched and strikeouts and stuff. It's the stat geek fan boy kinda stats that bother me.

Opposing batting average on the first Tuesday after the full moon with a runner on second and one out vs. a batter with an orange undershirt, since 1940.

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Atlanta is looking to trade Derek Lowe. I think we could get a decent reliever or outfield or both for him.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder who will get Roy Halladay. Has he said who he wants to play for? (He is pretty much NOT interested in the Jays anymore, not after his contract runs out.)

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'll be sure to let Denny Mclain know his 31 wins didnt matter. His ERA didnt come anywhere near leading the league.

RAMA

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That was a little while ago. Odds are Denny would have a different performance today when the emphasis is on a greater variety of statistics than just wins.

6. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Wins is by far the least useful stat for determining who the best pitcher was in a given year.

Heck, if wins were REALLY super important, Brandon Webb would have had his 2nd Cy Young in 2008.

EDIT: Kudos to shaggy haired pothead Tim Lincecum for doing what no one else has ever done before. He won back to back Cy Youngs in his first two full seasons in the Majors. That kid is a monster, with sick stuff. The sky is the limit for that guy, if he can avoid getting busted with the mota in the future.

7. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I wish the Mets went after him instead of resigning Ollie "Can't find the strikezone with a map' Perez.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't say that I'm surprised that the person bitching about Greinke's "low" win total hasn't said anything about Lincecum's lower win total.

9. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

No surprise for the MVP in either the NL or the AL. Which is good because both Pujous and Mauer deserve their MVP titles.

10. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

And with the naming of each league's MVPs, we'll close the books on this season and start up the Hot Stove League

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.