Major League Baseball 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Today is the official start of the MLB Season. Spring Training is upon us and that means we're almost a month away from the start of the regular season. I'm looking forward to good things on the field this year. Lincecum going for a repeat Cy Young performence, Manny still not signed, A-Rod dealing with the media all season, as well as the hecklers, and just the thrill of Baseball being back. For all the bad pub baseball has been getting lately, I'm still excited about Baseball being back. Not sure if I'll watch the World Baseball Classic though, but might catch a game or two.

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Braves pitching is a little rusty... Jurjjens has an ERA of 9.00 after two innings, and Reyes has a 4.50 after two innings as well. :lol:

I wanna see Lowe & Kawakami!

3. tomalak301

Well, it is the first day of spring training but that is awful. I thought that's what training camp was for. ;)

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Two months from today I'll see my first game at the new Citi Field!

I'm not sure what to expect from my Metropolitans. They definitely addressed their bullpen need and didn't blow the budget to do so.

The rotation to me is the biggest question. Santana will do his thing at the top, and with all the guys in camp they'll get a serviceable #5 guy, but the other 3 spots could win 16 or lose 13. Perez is so inconsistent, and Maine and Pelfrey are talented but not proven yet.

I think they'll score their runs, but I'll be interested to see how Murphy is as a starter and if Castillo has anything left in the tank.

5. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the Jays have managed to lose to the Yankees for the first time so far this year. Hopefully they get that all out of the way during spring training, though. ;)

6. SmoothieX

Apparently A-Rod left the stadium with his supplier cousin yesterday. I don't care if the two of them just went out for a bite to eat, the less he's seen with the guy the better.

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Ya, that seems like kind of a stupid move on his part.

8. tomalak301

When I heard the story I was scratching my head too. I wonder what he was thinking, and if he's still on it if he's still seeing his cousin.

9. SmoothieX

I don't even think he needs to distance himself from the guy completely. I don't care if they spend Thanksgiving together or whatever.

But hanging out with the guy outside a baseball stadium or at the gym just looks suspicious.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Day 2 of Spring Training was better than Day 1! :D

11. tomalak301

It was opposite for me. What the heck happened in the Giants Bullpen. Of course with the ridiculous length of Spring Training this year, it doesn't really matter at this point.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sore elbow for Santana. Not a good start (and potentially pretty expensive news for the Mets)...

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like Manny rejected the latest Dodgers offer AGAIN. What the fuck is his problem, anyway? :wtf:

14. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. Two scoreless innings for Scott Richmond, and Travis Snider's first HR in MLB(ish) play. :D

15. tomalak301

I think this is a very idiot move. :wtf: is right.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

just retarded. Dodgers negotiated against themselves and raised their offer. No one else is swooping in here. If I'm the Dodgers, I offer him LESS next time, and let him stew on that.

17. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Agreed.

I thought it was odd that they bid against themselves as it was. They seem to be the only ones really interested in him at the moment and he's going to need to sign with someone soon.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spring Training has already started. Isn't there gonna be a point, like *soon*, where Manny becomes ineligible to play for any team at all this season?

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Baseball doesn't work that way. Remember the Yankees signing Clemens a couple years ago in June?

20. SmoothieX

Castillo at leadoff and Reyes hitting 3 might just work. It's early, but looks promising so far. I heard Reyes beefed up a little in the offseason, is that true?

They are ultra conservative in spring training so I'm hoping its just a precaution. Though I am somewhat concerned. I can't tell tell you how many times I've heard a pitcher's status go from, "He's going to skip a start to get a couple more days of rest," to, "Tommy John surgery see ya after next year's all star break."

What a dope! No one is going to give him a long term deal because he's getting old and needs the incentive to play hard for his next contract. And you don't need his antics around your team. I say move on at this point. Or stick it to him and give him a lowball offer. Sorry, $25M isn't on the table anymore. Here's $10M.

In Midseason, players are signed out of retirement, players are waived and picked up as free agents, and players are signed from leagues beyond MLB and MiLB (Indie leagues, Mexican league, etc.)

I think the one caveat is you need to be on the roster by 9/1 to be postseason eligible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.