Luke Skywalker's Character Problem in Star Wars The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Sci-fi fan, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually saw TFA twice, fist on opening night and then again the next afternoon. I regret giving them my $40.

The first time I walked out not sure what I'd just seen, as it was 3am and i was semi asleep. The second time I was convinced I'd seen a pretty bad movie.

Now I'm not going to say it killed star wars or it was the worst film ever made. But it was a stinker tbh.

They made Han a deadbeat in TFA and same With Luke in TLJ, Just a miserable old man who didn't really have anything to teach Rey. Great to see you again Luke, I won't be visiting again as you've become unpleasant.

I just found the movie boring, Rose got lumbered with awful lines, which was a shame as her and John Boyega brought the most energy to the movie.

the kid posing at the end was cringe. I don't really care about Holdo/that guy and their beef... Meh toxic masculinity vs feminist smugness? Whoever wins we all lose.

This film tried to do Empire but it ended up just being depressing. And people say "dark middle acts are always controversial" lol, The Dark Knight disagrees.

Didn't like it and like it even less as tgst opinion apparently makes me a trump worshipping Incel

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    jaime likes this.
  2. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I've seen TFA probably 8 times now, and I definitely think it's the better movie of the two, it's just tighter and better paced than the sequel. I've really come to appreciate the escape in the falcon - which I think is the best scene in the film, and some of the cinematography in the early parts of on jakku are gorgeous and really evoke that feeling I got from ANH, which is ironically the films biggest flaw ultimately. I've got no problem with the characters and their stories, I think the concept of Finn is a good idea (that's been wasted) and I found the other main players to be pretty engaging in the main also. Every time I watch it it frustrates me though - why another desert planet, another trench run, another death star. If they'd have been a little more creative I'd rank this film so much higher.

The last jedi had a few good scenes in it but was a badly paced, bloated mess in my view.

jaime likes this.
  3. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

100% I rather enjoyed TFA and was excited to go and see TLJ.

As I say coming out of that movie I just didn't like it and the name calling, accusations and everything else that got fired at those who didn't like it really turned me away from star wars.

I haven't even seen solo yet, though I'll watch it at some point, and episode 9 it's unlikely I'll go to see unless it gets really good word of mouth.

4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed solo more than either of the sequel trilogy films, it's a fun, if slightly lightweight movie with some great action scenes - which is what I want from a SW film.

I'll still be there on opening night for TROS though.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

TFA had some good moments.. JJ is able to actually direct Daisy and bring out whatever talents she does have.

But the script for TFA was shit. It features worldbuilding via "we don't care about laying track for future stories we want to tell, but we do want to show you TIES as soon as possible" . We have no context for the nuverse in its current state... the legacy characters are given the worst possible destinies, and there just isn't anything compelling going on. The new republic didn't fight to keep anything they earned over 30 years? Then why do I care about them at all?

Crewman6 likes this.
  6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Merchandising has always been important for Star Wars. Another detail that a lot of folks seem to miss.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

well, sure, but their ability to build out the world is now coming back to haunt them. The theme park is dependant on the fact that it is a PART of the new stories, but if fans are not invested in them, that is a huge problem for the theme park. I guarantee you that if they had a Marvel-land and the objective was to collect infinity stones, fans would flock to that park, you would not hear any stories about it having low attendance

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Given that the parks are for mostly intended for children and families, it made sense for them to use the newer characters since they’re the ones who kids are more familiar with. Kids tend to recognize BB-8 before R2.

Crewman6 likes this.
  9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

except the original films are timeless and the adults are the ones shelling out the cash

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Adults spend lots of money on things for their kids that they themselves don't utilize.

And nothing Disney does will change the timeless nature of the OT. And if low attendance happens that's Disney's problem not mine.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

yeah but they might not be compelled to TREK to a theme park based on the new films, when its also just a shopping mall anyway
    Buying toys is much different than going all in for a vacation

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You don't have kids, do you?

My kid doesn't really care about what I like, he's interested in what he likes. I wouldn't by Paw Patrol stuff if it weren't for his interest.

Campe likes this.
  13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Luke is a hero character.. almost an archetype. Like every other character that actually was simple, but good because of it (including Rocky) I don't see the need that seems to exist today to deconstruct such characters.. often it's not entertaining and only diminishes the same figures people look to for hope

As for kids.. The original film is timeless and universal, with themes that will affect new kids as well those who were kids when they came out ..and if I had a kid I would want to show them what a hero is

14. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

And some kids will not watch it because "Its old".

Campe likes this.
  15. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

#notmyyoungling

My little one and nephews and nieces actually tend towards the OT.
    There’s also a tendency to eighties and nineties retro gaming for some reason.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. I came across a comment in another forum a few days ago from some who I think his early 20s saying they haven't seen the original Star Wars movies because they don't see old movies.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The gap between the original coming out and now is the same as asking a kid in 1977 if they are into The Lives of a Bengal Lancer.

Two generations down the road, it's unsurprising that kids and young people have their own interests - my nephews could talk all day about fortnite but Star Wars - sure they will watch the new ones if you take them but it's not central to them...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    BillJ likes this.
  18. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully a lot of teenagers, let alone people in their early 20s, in 1977 wouldn't have dismissed Gone with the Wind or Casablanca, and kids dismissed The Wizard of Oz or Pinocchio just because they weren't new, if they did that's a shame and they were missing out.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

My point isn't about them dismissing them, it's about them building a fandom - I'm sure plenty of kids watched Gone with the Wind but I doubt it was central to them in the same way as the pop culture designed for them...

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Different strokes for different folks. Luke isn't just a hero-he is also an everyman archetype for the audience to identify with. So, in his youth and triumphs I can identify with that success. And, as I get older, and struggle with different aspects of life, depression, and failure, I can identify with Luke in the ST.

I don't see it as a deconstruction as others do. It is very much archetypal in mythology as heroes get older to struggle. But, more than that, Luke is still a character I can connect with.
    And no one is stopping people from showing off the OT. Or just showing kids the OT. That's perfectly fine.

But, heroes are not static concepts. Heroes are people who face struggles and adversity, some times successfully and some times less successfully. For me, and my kids, I work with them to identify what are traits they want to demonstrate, not just who they want to emulate. And handling anxiety, failure, depression and defeat are just as important as success.

This seems to proceed from the false premise that Disney Theme Park is only trekked to for one attraction.

My friend and I have kids at different ages and we were discussing how much it would cost to go down and what attractions each kid might enjoy. Guess what? There was something for everyone.

Campe likes this.