Luke Skywalker's Character Problem in Star Wars The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Sci-fi fan, Jul 30, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't care if it is positive or not. I'll watch what they are doing and see.

As I said, it's a long term game Disney is playing so to declare a failure within a year is odd, to say the least.

Regardless, do we have a personal investment in watching it fail? :shrug:

Crewman6 likes this.
  2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, that's a fair distinction, but you're ignoring my request. Please provide a link to the trade article(s) you are citing that suggest that Disney will rebrand Galaxy's Edge into Aladdin in February if the numbers don't come up.

3. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be very surprising if Disney reacted in the sort term to the seemingly low attendance numbers. Especially when there is a logical explanation. Most park goers plan their trip in advance. A great many of them wanted to avoid the expected crowds so they delayed their plans. Others may have delayed their plans until Rise of the Resistance opens. I fully expect to see the attendance numbers after the land is fully operational and after about a year for the expected crowds to die down (there haven't been any, but the buzz was that there would be and that buzz is what has impacted attendance. And given how much work went into the rides and other locations, Disney is not about to just give up. An Aladdin land won't draw nearly as many people and it would take years to create new rides and a lot of money to rework them. So whoever is saying it will get rebranded is not a reliable source. The reliable sources are all happy with Galaxy's Edge and expect to see attendance increase.

Oh, and Disney stock has been going up. So I don't they are particularly worried on that point.

4. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a bullshit unfounded rumor that morons (predictably) have run away with. No one would use the first six months of a $1B investment as proof of success or failure. They're playing a long game and the land will be plenty successful once everything balances out.

And when was the last time Disney Parks completely killed an entire land and started over? Oh, that's right, never.

Gimme a break with this....

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. Crewman6

It would be a great running joke if all of the great Jedi masters, Luke, then Rey, possessed the books but never bothered reading them.

"Well, they're just so long....I finished almost half a chapter."

Kor likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When it comes to Galaxy's Edge, it's should be a surprise that they tied it into the current movies, as a general rule when they put out stuff like this they will almost always tie it into whatever the newest stuff.

Campe and Crewman6 like this.
  7. Crewman6

Of all the criticisms of GE I've seen, this (oft-repeated one) is the one I find to be the most utterly stupid and flat-out wrong.

Whatever your opinions on the ST are, I think we can all agree that the ST leans heavily on the images and iconography of the OT, and often downright lifts massive chunks of its narrative. The "world" of the ST was contorted to resemble the OT, whether or not it made any logical sense.

So the ST is obviously massively indebted to the OT. And, since GE is "set" in the ST, it similar owes the same massive debt to the OT.

When people say there's nothing from the OT in Galaxy's Edge, it's laughable.

Perhaps you missed the centerpiece of the entire park, a massive full-scale Millennium Falcon? Or the ride that lets you hang out in the Falcon and actually fly in it?

Perhaps you missed the massive, full-scale X-Wing and A-Wings that are in the park? Yes, while all these were used in the ST, they were born in the OT and owe their existence to those films and are still associated with those films first and foremost.

The droid and lightsaber builds also harken back to the OT (and, in the case of lightsabers, actually feel more PT than anything else.) The land is full of droids and vehicles and trophies and countless bits of ephemera, scenery and props that all have an OT aesthetic.

The land features Chewbacca and R2 (although the latter is currently limited to the droid shop.) The land features stormtroopers. The ST stormies were designed to be as similar to the original stormtroopers as possible while also suggesting the passage of time and the refinement of the technology. Dok Ondar is an Ithorian - no Ithorians in the ST! Hondo ain't from the ST, either.

If you had never seen the ST at all, the only thing in Galaxy's Edge that would be slightly confusing would be the new nomenclature for the "Rebels" and "Empire" and the presence of Kylo Ren and Rey. That's it!

The entire park evokes the spirit, images and aesthetic of Star Wars going back to the original films.

Sure, I get that some people would have wanted to see Darth Vader.

But those who complain that it's not "Star Wars" are being willfully disingenuous and/or stupid.

Qonundrum and fireproof78 like this.
  8. Campe

I have to be in L.A. in early December. Im trying to convince my wife to come out with me so we can take a day and go to Galaxy’s Edge. Part of that reason is because it’s my 40th birthday. Another reason is because I’m hoping for a little bit of a tie-in to the release of The Rise of Skywalker. Maybe a hint or two of what’s happening from the actors there. That’d be a pretty cool experience if they could work it in!

Crewman6 and fireproof78 like this.
  9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

pls don't kid yourself. No one cares about REy. Batuu is not Mos Eisley. There is no Vader. it's generic SW to be sure, the Dollar general version of it. Oh I'm sure you can find toys based on some of the new stupid creatures on it. Only Disney would be so stupid to make a park of an IP without including the best icons form the IP

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

[Luke] I care. [/Luke]

Don't mistake your opinions for fact.

11. Campe

YOU don’t care about Rey.

And I’m still waiting on that trade link. But I’m guessing since you’ve ignored it twice, you can’t provide it.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or, maybe, just maybe, they realize that in order to grow the brand you have to be willing to move past just the icons. Otherwise it will just be Vader and Solo and the like for the rest of Star Wars. And, I'm sorry, I want more from my Star Wars. I'm sick of Vader.

Regardless, this is personal opinion masquerading as stated fact. As I have stated previously I have seen personal friends liking Rey, my daughters like Rey, and I see plenty of costuming and the like around Rey. Yes, people care about Rey.

Star Wars needs to stop being a nostalgia generator and get over itself.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

THIS.

14. Crewman6

The ST's biggest problem is how MUCH it tries to cash in on nostalgia for the OT. It would have been far better if it took bolder choices (which TLJ did.) But TFA was basically fan fic and the entire sequel trilogy is built on a foundation of shameless nostalgia and just copying what came before, to its detriment.

15. Crewman6

So you didn't actually...read my post? Where I pointed out the countless things in GE which are specifically from the OT and which pay homage to it?

So, Mos Eisley. Place has exactly 15 minutes of screentime out of ten movies and counting. It's not the equivalent of Hogwarts, where EVERY MOVIE in that franchise takes place.

And what did we actually SEE in Mos Eisley? A falcon and a cantina. Which, hmmm, curiously are BOTH in Galaxy's Edge. It's almost as if Galaxy's Edge is deliberately trying to evoke classic moments from the OT! Who knew? I didn't see Rey and Finn at any cantina in the sequel trilogy, did you? It's not like Oga's Cantina is designed to basically be a carbon copy of the original Mos Eisley cantina. Oh, wait. Of course it is. If you were blindfolded and led through Batuu to the cantina, you'd have no clue you weren't supposed to be in the Mos Eisley version.

Batuu is a place that is absolutely meant to evoke the kind of place Mos Eisley is, while also having the freedom to do its own thing.

Star Wars in film currently has over 20 planets depicted. The whole point of Star Wars is not to linger in one place, but to go on a journey and see and discover new places in each film (and within each film.) On that level, Batuu perfectly mirrors the Star Wars experience.

burningoil, fireproof78 and David cgc like this.
  16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I read an interesting Twitter thread a while ago praising that very decision to create a new Star Wars-esque location that would by design have all the necessary theme-park features rather than try to ape something scene in the movies and make some shrunken-down miniature version of Tattooine or something, the way Wizarding World did (hey, isn't it weird how the back half of Hogwarts is a giant square warehouse that's in plain view from Hogsmeade?).

Let me see if I can track it down...

Ah, here it is. From graphic designer and Disney park enthusiast Louie Mantia:

fireproof78 likes this.
  17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

So instead of actually re-creating Diagin Ally and Hogwarts, Universal would have gotten a bigger response creating something LIKE Hogwarts called Lampgreen? Come on! Also, 15 minutes of screentime for Mos Eisley, over endless replays of VHS, DVD and Blue Rays for 40 years.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

That's going real well for Dinsey. Especially since it fits into the ewn films which no one cares about

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Believe me .. at bottom I understand why they did it this way. I don't need it explained. But having it work of a sketchilly drawn universe that has split the fandom is not going to bode well in the long term.

20. Campe

Yes, Universal took one path. Disney took another. I think it’s cool that Galaxy’s Edge is taking a new spin on Star Wars. You don’t. That’s okay.

Enough. Your insistence that YOUR opinion is shared by everyone else is just annoying.