Spoilers Lucifer - Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 3, 2017.

1. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amenadiel isn't exactly helping Lucifer's self-centered belief that it's all about him.

Superman is going to be some serious competition for Lucifer on the Chloe romantic front. It shouldn't be hard to come across as more caring and interested than Lucifer.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ick. Welling's somehow become an even more wooden actor than he was on Smallville. I don't think his facial expression has changed once in this entire season so far. I don't care what Ella says, there isn't a trace of chemistry there.

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yep. I can almost buy him being an angel or some other supernatural creature, though. His lack of expression makes me think he hasn't interacted with regular humans for thousands of years.

4. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Maybe that's why the writers had Ella point it out, just so the audience knew what was suppose to be happening.

5. Christopher

This is only the third episode produced for this season (last week's was a holdover from season 2), so it may well have been in the script stage, or at least the outline stage, before the role of the captain was cast.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious if there's a specific reason why he seems to like Lucifer so much, and keeps going with his ideas. It seems most of the cops he meets can't stand him, so I'm thinking there's got to be something going on there.
    I loved the whole bit with the union rep position.

7. Christopher

Didn't we see that at the end of the episode two weeks ago? He knows the Sinnerman is real, and he's encouraging Lucifer to investigate him clandestinely. So they're surreptitiously working together on that case. He's made a deal with the Devil, so to speak.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I forgot about that.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So the voices in Ella's head... figure of speech... she's crazy... or she's a prophet?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Ella and the voices, a prophet or somehow touched by the divine isn't impossible in this show. A mental condition is possible, too, but the show hasn't really delved into folks with psychological problems among the cast like Elementary for instance. In spite of having a psychologist as a secondary character I'm less inclined to that possibility. Another possibility, I suppose Ella could have come in contact with something divine like God Johnson did and be living with the aftereffects?

11. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

She sounds like Joan of Arc, hearing voices, except that Ella is refusing to act on what she hears. For now anyway....

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I assumed her talk of "voices" was just about guilt from past actions. This show's version of hell seems to center a lot around guilt.

13. Christopher

I didn't realize until the end that this must've been another of the holdover standalone episodes from season 2. It didn't feel like a standalone because it was a sequel, but it didn't have any connection to the current season arc. Plus the comic creators' credit was in the end titles instead of the opening, and I saw a credit about Vancouver casting, whereas I understand the show is now shot in LA.

Anyway, I'd been hoping they'd bring Candy back, and it was nice to get followup on that lingering thread. Also to find out what Ella's deal with Vegas was. Although now we have a new mystery with the thing about the voices.

Speaking of Ella and mysteries... Why doesn't Lucifer seem to be sexually interested in Ella? I mean, she's gorgeous -- and there were moments here when I thought that maybe she wanted him to be interested in her. But he doesn't seem to have anything more than a platonic interest. Is it maybe because she's religious? Maybe the fact that she's so fond of "Dad" is a turn-off for him?

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

One site said this was one of the four holdover episodes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  15. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

That last episode was very strange and interesting.

16. Christopher

Yup, quite obviously -- the whole episode is a flashback to the first and early second seasons, a story retconned into prior continuity. Although, in a sense, it turned out to be happening in the here and now as well.

I'm not sure the insertion of a new story into the first season entirely worked; not only do I think they had a different police precinct set that season, but as I recall, the narrative was fairly continuous, so I'm not sure there would've been room for an additional case in the gaps. But it was an interesting idea. Pure standalones are kind of a lost art these days. It's nice to see a show trying them again, exploring the possibilities of stories that offer something different and complete in themselves rather than just being a chapter in a never-ending serial. It's too bad there's only one left after this one. Hopefully they'll be well enough received that the producers will consider doing more.

17. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I'm still a little perturbed by the idea of Hell being a result of guilt, but I'm trying to just go with it. It's still a great show.

18. Christopher

I've seen a similar idea in other fantasy fiction -- that the truest judge of anyone's guilt or innocence is their own conscience, because nobody else knows so well what their exact sins are. Although I don't buy it -- what about sociopaths and narcissists who don't believe anything they do is wrong? Or neurotic or depressed people who punish themselves for things they haven't done?

I thought the bit where Lucifer said anyone could walk out of Hell at will would have a payoff -- that the guy would go to Hell, remember that revelation, and use it to come back to life. Although now that I think about it, I guess it would just have put him in Purgatory or something rather than resurrecting him.

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's a little unclear what happens if you just walk out of your personal hell prison (without some other help). Do you just wander around looking at other personal hells? Purgatory? A free pass to heaven?

20. Christopher

When Lucifer said "The door is unlocked," or whatever his exact words were, his phrasing implied that he was speaking of the "door" to Hell as a whole, not just a single personal punishment.

I still feel this show has missed an opportunity to explore the consequences of Hell being left unguarded. Early on, I was expecting that this would become a show about Lucifer and Chloe hunting down evil souls that escaped to Earth, although that's been done in a couple of earlier shows (Reaper and something else, I forget the title). But so far, I think the only escapees have been Malcolm in season 1 and Lucifer's mother in season 2.