Spoilers Lower Decks General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by mdtauk, Oct 25, 2018.

1. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The good thing about an animated series (among other things) is that cameos from Trek veterans would be super easy.

2. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice catch. Completely possible. :)

mos6507 likes this.
  3. Attentiveluke

Attentiveluke Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I have no interest in this because I’m an adult and don’t watch children’s cartoons. More dross from Kurtzman that will further denigrate Star Trek.

Serveaux likes this.
  4. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorry, but this sounds fucking stupid. An animated comedy series? Ehhh... From the head writer of Rick and Morty? Helllllll no.

" will follow the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least-important ships."

My, doesn't that sound like a thrilling adventure?

Serveaux, Admiral2 and Attentiveluke like this.
  5. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The other thing about an animated series if you can more easily having real alien aliens since you don't have to deal with makeup/cgi and having a human actor underneath.

Greg Cox and EyalM like this.
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well, the premise for Red Dwarf sounds stupid too, and that show is awesome.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That's nice. No one will force you to sully yourself, I'm sure. I guess we can all look forward to a complete lack of further commentary on this matter, given the "no interest" expressed here?

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you have to tell everyone every day that you hate something?

Oz Trekkie and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like cartoons. I like many comedies. I like Star Trek and chocolate in my peanut butter.

I would like to know more.

Greg Cox, DrCorby, guyute03 and 5 others like this.
  10. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

I was hoping for an epic, animated version of Star Trek like what Clone Wars did for Star Wars canon, but this is totally okay by me because I also like adult animated sitcoms. While I love Rick and Morty, having one of its writers on board got a double-take from me (not because I think its a fundamentally bad idea, it was just a surprise), but there's a lot of great high sci-fi concepts on that show. I'm definitely more excited for this because he is behind @TNG_S8!

I also happy that I was surprised by this announcement because finding out Star Trek is going some place I wasn't expecting, but am okay with, is exciting!

11. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Oh, it was confirmed as a children's cartoon? This is why I like to go blind into things I want to watch, I never manage to stay up to date anyway :D

12. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

This, so far, sounds like something I was hoping Paramount would have done when they alone had Star Trek. Disney beat them to it with Galaxy Quest and the movie Free Enterprise was also something I thought should have been done by Paramount: something that has fun with the universe, shows a respect for the various Trek series and movies, but has fun with it.

Instead, Paramount put their money behind the Trekkies movies, which I think did more harm than good.

13. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

They lost me at comedy

Serveaux likes this.
  14. Tuskin38

It says "As we broaden the world of Trek to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice.”

I don't think they're aiming for an adult only audience here.

Jinn likes this.
  15. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's going to be a stupid, slapstick comedy. It's probably going to be a lighter take on the part of Starfleet we never see. Not everyone in Starfleet is the best of the best, serving on the Flagship on the front lines.

16. Tuskin38

Hm, the deadline.com article says it is an adult animated series, but the startrek.com article doesn't say that at all.

17. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

They might be assuming adult oriented given Rick and Morty on the resume, but writers can write more than one type of show so there's that. I wonder what type of animation it will be.

saddestmoon, Jinn and Tuskin38 like this.
  18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really, they need one aimed at kids to get them watching the movies... but CBS aren't exactly going to promote Paramount's movies.

19. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

And after Calypso promo, this was actually the second time I was reminded of Red Dwarf today. Is this conspiracy or something?

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I want to know at the moment is which era, which timeline?