Lower Decks Crossover Episode

You see humor and fun, I see a bunch of characters constantly shouting, fast talking, and beating me in the head by making out-of-place refetences.

And part of the reason I'm looking forward to seeing LD in live-action - if that is indeed what is going to happen here - is the opportunity to see if it can take itself seriously for a time.
If you're expecting a serious take on Lower Decks, you're probably going to be disappointed. Pretty certain this episode is going to be a comedic SNW episode.

It's not like Roger Rabbit, mostly live action with some animated elements, and brilliantly done (Mount, EW)

You see humor and fun, I see a bunch of characters constantly shouting, fast talking, and beating me in the head by making out-of-place refetences.

Indeed, it's almost like my opinion and views are just as valid as everyone elses.

I will agree that the LD characters do talk pretty fast and was for me a mark against the show initially, but I think that's part of the nature of animated series in the 21st century tv. It did take a couple episodes for me to get used to it, because the cartoons I grew up on... LOONEY TUNES, TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE, M.A.S.K., etc... were a different style.

Until SNW finished its first season recently, LOWER DECKS was by far my favorite ST series of the current era. SNW now took its place, so having a crossover episode of my two top ST shows is nothing short of awesome news for me.

I'm sorry you aren't seeing the fun possibilities of this, but that's fine, because everyone has different tastes. My post earlier was not intended as an attack on your opinion. Everyone's opinion is valid, and I can agree to disagree with no problem once I state my case.

IDIC, Trekker.

Ugh, this sounds absurdly stupid. Both shows are on different levels of how the approach their tone and kind of story-telling. I don't see how this can possibly work and it'll hurt SNW more than anything else.

I was pleased and hopeful with SNW and then bringing Kirk into S2 on some level is enough to try and hurdle over (but possible) but this.... Can't work without damaging one or both the series.

Do you turn down LD's slapsticky, animated, over-reliance on references and call backs and low-brow stoner version of "humor" to get it to fit in SNW, or do you turn that up for SNW to bring it to LD? This is why LD is such a wreck for me it's too square of a peg in how it behaves to the round hole of everything else in Trek.

JTFC. I knew SNW was too good too last.
It'll be their Spock's Brain, their Shades of Gray, their Move Along Home, their Threshold, their that one where Trip gets pregnant and grows a nipple on this arm.

You're mixing a show with a serious tone with a slapsticky/stoner comedy cartoon. It's oil and water.
I've seen LD and I've seen SNW, they're completely different looks, tones, and approaches to the storytelling and universe. They can't click together without one turning into the other or both having to sacrifice something to find a middle ground.

But, mostly, I just don't like LD, what it calls "humor" and it's need to constantly make call-backs and references to the point the characters talk like Trek Fans more than they do characters in the world (actually referencing episodes by name.) LD should just be on its own plane. But, nope, let's put it in with SNW.

Yikes.
Speaking of call-backs, this seems like a call-back to the hysterical overreactions of Original Series Trekker, who I thought had retired after three consecutive five-year missions here and been replaced by the calmer, more rational Next Generation Trekker in recent years.

We get it, you don't like Lower Decks and it's not your kind of humor, which is fine. You are entitled to your opinion, as you say. But this completely baseless idea that two of the LD characters appearing in live-action on SNW and Pike appearing in animation on Lower Decks will somehow permanently damage Strange New Worlds and cause you to write-off the show like "we had a good run while it lasted" is ridiculous. It's an episodic TV show; if one episode doesn't appeal to you just forget about it and enjoy the rest. How is it going to drag down the rest of the unrelated episodes for the next several seasons of SNW?

And why do you assume everything is going to be in the style of Lower Decks while Mariner and Boimler are interacting with the SNW Enterprise crew or vice versa with Pike interacting with the Cerritos crew? I'm sure the crossover episodes will be played for laughs (the horror!), but there's no reason to assume it will be exactly the same style of whacky, referential humor of Lower Decks, at least not in its entirety. There will probably be some references and hijinks given the fish-out-of-water time travel aspect (unless it's done entirely on the Cerritos holodeck, in which case it won't even be the "real" Pike's crew or any time travel involved), but Lower Decks can also do some pretty good action when the time comes for it.

Anyway, it's way too early in the game with very little facts in evidence to be freaking out and making broad-sweeping declarations about how the show is going to be ruined by this. It's one crossover episode on SNW. It may suck. Than again, it might be loads of fun. But either way, the show will survive and go right back to its usual brand of storytelling afterward. There's no need for Doom(cock)-saying.

Ugh, this sounds absurdly stupid. Both shows are on different levels of how the approach their tone and kind of story-telling. I don't see how this can possibly work and it'll hurt SNW more than anything else.

I was pleased and hopeful with SNW and then bringing Kirk into S2 on some level is enough to try and hurdle over (but possible) but this.... Can't work without damaging one or both the series.

Do you turn down LD's slapsticky, animated, over-reliance on references and call backs and low-brow stoner version of "humor" to get it to fit in SNW, or do you turn that up for SNW to bring it to LD? This is why LD is such a wreck for me it's too square of a peg in how it behaves to the round hole of everything else in Trek.

JTFC. I knew SNW was too good too last.
Man, do I love LDS! I can't wait for this!

Harpsicord's take seems spot on. A bit of time travel, some LDS silliness added to the light but pitch-perfect SNW humor, and being live action it will probably be a tad less frenetic than LDS and should work perfect for SNW. Can't wait to see the live action mix of crews. Should be awesome.

CGKUxvZ.png

wtf??? hopefully the episode itself will be entertaining cause the concept of it all just make me wary since the two shows are quite different tonally

Last edited:
Speaking of call-backs, this seems like a call-back to the hysterical overreactions of Original Series Trekker, who I thought had retired after three consecutive five-year missions here and been replaced by the calmer, more rational Next Generation Trekker in recent years.

We get it, you don't like Lower Decks and it's not your kind of humor, which is fine. You are entitled to your opinion, as you say. But this completely baseless idea that two of the LD characters appearing in live-action on SNW and Pike appearing in animation on Lower Decks will somehow permanently damage Strange New Worlds and cause you to write-off the show like "we had a good run while it lasted" is ridiculous. It's an episodic TV show; if one episode doesn't appeal to you just forget about it and enjoy the rest. How is it going to drag down the rest of the unrelated episodes for the next several seasons of SNW?

And why do you assume everything is going to be in the style of Lower Decks while Mariner and Boimler are interacting with the SNW Enterprise crew or vice versa with Pike interacting with the Cerritos crew? I'm sure the crossover episodes will be played for laughs (the horror!), but there's no reason to assume it will be exactly the same style of whacky, referential humor of Lower Decks, at least not in its entirety. There will probably be some references and hijinks given the fish-out-of-water time travel aspect (unless it's done entirely on the Cerritos holodeck, in which case it won't even be the "real" Pike's crew or any time travel involved), but Lower Decks can also do some pretty good action when the time comes for it.

Anyway, it's way too early in the game with very little facts in evidence to be freaking out and making broad-sweeping declarations about how the show is going to be ruined by this. It's one crossover episode on SNW. It may suck. Than again, it might be loads of fun. But either way, the show will survive and go right back to its usual brand of storytelling afterward. There's no need for Doom(cock)-saying.

I don't know. We'll see. I just got tired of all the... "ness" of LD and stopped watching part-way through S2.

Saying it will ruin SNW was extreme of me as the terrible episodes of the other series don't "ruin" them, so I admit that's far of me. I just really dislike LD and don't think it fits with the rest of the franchise and don't see how something like this can work. It'd be like.... I dunno, taking the characters from the Police Academy TV series and throwing them into an episode of Hill Street Blues or NYPD Blue or something. They're different tones or shows and don't fit together.

But if it's too early for me to dislike this because I dislike LD, I say it us also too early for people to squee over it because they like LD.

I just really enjoyed SNW and it felt like home to me and mixing it in with a series I don't like just feels like looking at a tuna fish sandwich on the sidewalk on a hot day.

Back