Looking for Opera equivalent for Firefox's Tab Mix Plus extension

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by The Nth Doctor, Sep 9, 2017.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

After years of using Firefox, I'm finally tired of how slow and bloated the browser has become. I've used Opera (and Chrome) on and off again over the years, but now I've decided to use Opera full time. The biggest reason why I held off from leaving Firefox for so long is because of how much I rely on Tab Mix Plus. I don't know Opera's extensions all that well, so I'm looking for recommendations for a good tab management extension. Opera's in-house settings aren't cutting it.

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

3. The Nth Doctor

I've never heard of Waterfox before, so I definitely check that out. Thanks.

I'll also check out Easy Tab Manager as a sidebar in case I don't like Waterfox (and I use Opera as a backup anyways).

Amaris likes this.
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I've been using Pale Moon for a while. It's an updated version of older Firefox releases.

It's funny, I started using Firefox since it came out because Netscape had become a bloated pile of shit. Now with the quick release numbering a seeming mandate to make changes for the sake of change, Firefox has gone the same way.

Tab behavior is a big thing for me, and I like the Firefox (and subsequently Pale Moon) way of handling tabs. I know there's an add-on for Chrome to make it handle tabbed browsing the same way. I have it on my work computer and can't remember which one it is right now.

I always found Opera to be a slightly more annoying version of Firefox and could never stick with it.

5. The Nth Doctor

Well, I tired Waterfox and overall it looked great, but it kept freezing every time I opened the Add-Ons page and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program a couple of times.

Easy Tab Manager is a super lightweight in comparison to Tab Mix Plus, so I guess I'll have to keep looking on that front.

I'll try Pale Moon next.

Yup, same here. I've been using Firefox for almost its entire existence and here I am ready to dump it for all of the reasons I jumped away from Explorer and Netscape.

Let me know what it is when you have a chance. I tried to switch to Chrome a few years back as my primary but I eventually went back to Firefox because I had issues with Chrome including the lack of Tab Mix Plus.

I find Opera to be a nice light, streamlined version of Firefox...with the exception of tab behavior.

Amaris likes this.
  6. Ar-Pharazon

^ That's the funny thing. Initially, I wasn't a tab user, I preferred new windows. But now with IE & Chrome at work and Pale Moon at home, I use tabs exclusively.

There are some even newer browsers that claim to be tab based, but don't have the behavior I like (open links in new tab, switch to new tab immediately). You'd think they would have all the possible options.

As far as the Chrome add-on(s) I use at work, 95% sure I have Tab Activate and Tabs To Front, the latter being the important one. I use an app called WebTMA, which I mostly use in IE, but as an admin, when I log in as one of the users, I do so in Chrome.

7. The Nth Doctor

I tried Pale Moon but I didn't stick with it long because I have the same issue with it as I do with Winamp and VLC on my 4K screen: It appears way too small on the screen. The buttons are so tiny that it's hard to hit anything and when the text is zoomed in, it looks pixelated. It seems the developers haven't updated the program to resize itself for 4K screens yet. I also didn't stick with it long because I immediately got a notice saying that some extensions may not work because it works off an older version of Firefox.

I was like that, too...although it was more than 10 years ago. :lol:

Yeah, not being able to control the behavior of how Ctrl + Tab operates through tabs is probably my biggest irk against Opera. That and not being able to make tabs load at the end of the tabs, instead of immediately next to the one you're on.

Thanks. I'll take a look at them for Chrome. Still hunting for Opera...

8. The Nth Doctor

So I continued using Waterfox despite the Add-Ons manager glitch (one that will be fixed in the next version, I've learned from their subreddit), but after a few days of use, it's become just as bloated as Firefox. I really had hoped it would fix the problems I had with Firefox but alas there doesn't seem to be any difference.

I looked at the Chrome suggestions, but they're pretty basic and don't really cover the needs that I've become accustomed to with Tab Mix Plus.

I've returned to Opera and my original concern: A proper tab management extension. How is it that Opera has existed for more than two decades (and longer than Firefox itself) and yet doesn't have a good to excellent tab management extension? That kind of blows my mind.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It took them forever to have a decent bookmarks option. Even up to a few years ago, using bookmarks in Opera were far more difficult than any other browser.

10. The Nth Doctor

True, but I rarely use bookmarks anyways and I lost all of the important ones I had collected over the years when my last laptop died a month ago, so that's not much of an issue for me.

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Ah. I have 50 bajillion bookmarks, and only Firefox and Waterfox managed them well enough for how I use them (I link jump a lot).

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Taken out of context, that is a remarkably disturbing sentence. :eek: :lol:

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I don't get this one.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I just had this vision of you jumping up and down for no readily apparent reason....no offense meant...

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

None taken, I just had no idea what it meant. :P

16. The Nth Doctor

I do a lot of link jumping, too, but I do that more with excessive tabs, which is why I'm so desperate to have a Tab Mix Plus equivalent.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I've been digging around so far today, and haven't found any alternatives for you. I saw a post from several years ago where people were complaining about having limited tabs options, and Opera talked about addressing those. 3 years later, still nothing it seems.

18. The Nth Doctor

Google searches haven't come up with much because most of the links I get are to Firefox and Chrome links (gee, thanks :rolleyes:) and going through the Opera's extension search isn't very fruitful either.

19. Ar-Pharazon

From the Opera "Get Extensions" option, 280 tab related add-ons come up. None of those do what you need?

20. The Nth Doctor

I've looked at some of them, focusing on those that are rated the most (not easy considering the page doesn't allow for sorting results) and those that I tried, haven't fit my needs because most of them are very basic. I haven't gone through all of them yet, but that 280 number is a bit misleading because after a certain point (I forget when), the results veer sharply from "tab management" to any extension that contains the word "tab" in their description.

Amaris likes this.