Looking for Avatar Help? Check here!

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Guest, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Lupine

Lupine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm trying to heed the advice. I'm tinkering with the image but so far without luck. When I try sharpening it it ends up looking kind of jagged. It loses the smoothness. I'll keep working on it.

2. kozara

kozara Commodore Commodore

If you want any of these, please host them yourself.
    www.imageshack.us is free and unlimited, but my album is big and unorganized. :D
    If you have a request, let me know. I can do some stuff.

I used Photoshop's Replace color to darken the being and his ball.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also played with invert and selective color to make him glow. :)
    [​IMG]

And rendered a lens flare.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Lupine

^^ :)Those are awesome! :)
    I've been hacking at the image using the program that came with my HP scanner. I particularly like the top one. The second one looks a bit like what I was able to get, but I thought it lacked suficient color. The inverted ones are also kind of wild. I like how his Thought Sphere (that's what it is btw) was made to glow. You are good at this.
    Lets see if I can get one of them up.

EDIT: There! I copied the three I really liked onto my hard drive then hosted them on Image Shack. Hope I did everything right. Thank you 10 X 100. :)

4. kozara

You're welcome, Lupine. :) And your Thearax is in a different folder than the one I uploaded, so you uploaded it just fine. I'll delete my versions on the next pass through my imageshack collection.

What's the story behind the Arax? A story character, or just a quick sketch?

Btw, in answer to Garak above (plain, simple Garak, not Elim Garak ;)), IE saves as BMP if the JPG/GIF is no longer in cache. The BMP is a big screenshot of the file, rather than the original file itself.

If the pic's a link, right-click the link, Save Target As. That'll work every time.

If it's on the page, shift+reload helps. That's force refresh.
    If it's really stubborn, I go to another page, clear cache and then force refresh: Go to another page. Tools -> Internet Options, Delete [Temporary Internet] Files. Click Back, then shift+reload.

5. Lupine

The Thearax were a species in a story I started in high school, all those eons ago. It was completely amaturistic and I gringe while reading it, but there were several elements I'd like to re-use. The Thearax have a hive-like society (the one pictured is a sterile intellectual drone)and up until a social revolution were known to make slaves of other species including humans (who would later become known as Thearuman). The sketch I'm using was one I drew I think it was about ten years ago now. There are other sketches of other species from my books and stories I'm tempted to use as well.

6. kozara

7. krillmeed

krillmeed Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have quite a few startrek avatars on my website, nearly every startrek character you can think of. Anyone can download them, but please do not link to them, i do not have much bandwidth. If you cannot find a character there, then contact me, i do have more, but it takes enough time to load the page as it is, they are all 80 x 80 so no editing is needed. :angel:

8. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

wwhheewww. just went through all ten pages of this forum. You guys(& gals) are great. thanks for all the info!! ;)

9. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

well here goes for a first timer rookie!... :lol:

10. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Would some kind soul take pity on a graphic moron? :)

I have 6 .png avatars that are over the 20kb limit for .pngs. I don't have a program that will save them down without making the quality stink. Could anyone just crank out smaller but still pretty versions that I could save for future use? I'd be terribly grateful. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All of these were made by quem98 at Live Journal. Any assistance in making them usable here would be met with ecstatic joy from this quarter. :cool:

11. Nibbles

Nibbles Rear Admiral In Memoriam

Here you go-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

THANK YOU! :D

13. Nibbles

Nibbles Rear Admiral In Memoriam

Your welcome ;)

14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I´d like to record a short sequence from a computer game to make an animated avatar of that. Does anyone know of an easy-to-use program to do that?

15. digifan

digifan Commodore Commodore

One of the best and easiest to use is Animation Pro Shop from Jasc Software. I used it to animate my Nekko. This software package is available as part of Paint Shop Pro or seperately. Check this web site link for product details, purchase and demo download.

16. Larkin

Larkin Commander Red Shirt

Ok, I've got an avatar that I've been using literally for years at various other bbs's ont the web. I set it in my profile and it was there and still is there. I just hit over 100 posts and it's not showing up. I've read the FAQ's and ended up here to see what the deal is. I know it's the proper size, because it's the same requirements pretty much on all bbs's regarding size. I have my own webspace where I have the pictures linked to, so I can't figure out why it's not showing up. Any help?

Damn, now look at that. It took until 104 actually. :o

17. Kraorh

Kraorh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dumb question, perhaps - how do we know how many posts we've made? That is, how do we know we're getting close to that magic 100 number?

18. Technomage

Technomage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Click on your username, and it will take you to your profile.

You have 61 posts at present. :cool:

19. Kraorh

Kraorh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome. Man, that's still a lot of posting I'd have to do... Do you know why they have the 100+ rule? Is it as a reward toward more consistent posters or something?

20. Partsking

Partsking Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sort of. It's two fold. The rule is also a deterent for people registering with the intent of displaying improper images in the avatar space. That's happened before. ;)