Live Action Marvel - Which Comic Characters Have Died ?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Relayer1, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

SPOILERS !

I've been surprised at the death of long standing comic characters such as Victoria Hand and Ben Urich.

Not just MCU, current films and TV - who else has died ?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Villains, mainly. John Garrett*. Stane, Vanko, Killian and Maya Hansen* in the Iron Man movies. Red Skull. Alexander Pierce*. Jasper Sitwell*. Malekith and Kurse. Ronan. Darren Cross.

*Not villains in the comics.

Heroes, there's Quicksilver and Jan VanDyne. Lucy Lawless' character Isabelle Hartley was from the comics. Not from the comics, but Antoine Triplett.

Peggy Carter will have passed away by the time Civil War comes out.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe a spoiler warning in the thread title, just in case?

Outside the MCU, in the Webb Spider-Man films, there's Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy, of course, along with George Stacy, Curt Connors, Norman Osborn, and Max Dillon. In the Raimi Spidey films, there's Uncle Ben and Norman Osborn, Otto Octavius, Eddie Brock, and Harry Osborn, IIRC. Mostly villains, as with the MCU, because movies are obsessed with killing villains.

Hard to say who's still dead in the X-Men films, given the timeline change. Well, Darwin and Sebastian Shaw, certainly. In the original timeline, Senator Kelly, probably Toad, William Stryker, Lady Deathstrike, Jean Grey (twice), Cyclops, Xavier, various others. We know Jean, Cyke, and Xavier are alive again in the revised present timeline, though.

4. Turtletrekker

Junior Juniper.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Doesn't matter. The thread asked which characters have died, not which ones are still dead. So your list is correct. :) (Plus Banshee, Angel, Emma, and Azazel.)

And I can technically also count Iceman, Blink, Colossus, Storm, Beast, Bishop, Sunspot, Warpath, Nate Grey...heck, I can count Trask too if I'm gonna go this crazy. ;)

Elektra and Sue Storm both died too.

And some more "legit" dead, not brought back: Jack Murdock, The entire Castle family, Barton Blaze, Howard Stark, Richard and Mary Parker, Whistler, Deacon Frost, Nomak, Nyssa, Scud, Reinhardt, Chupa, Damaskinos, (I'll stop listing dead Blade characters, there's too many) David Banner, Friga, Meredith Quill, Brandt, Savin...that's all I can think of, but I bet there's still more.

6. Turtletrekker

Glenn Talbot was killed off in the Ang Lee Hulk movie.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's been a while, but didn't the Blade movies kill off Whistler at least twice?

And does Mystique count? She was "cured" in X3, making her effectively dead to Eric and older her never showed up in the future scenes, so even if the cure didn't take as with Magneto, then it's implicit she was killed off-screen at some point.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I don't think the Redd Skull s actaully dead but Henry PEter Gyrch was killed off screen in the first X-Men movie.

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Abraham Erskine

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think I should have thought this through - lets say dead in the currently active continuities - X-Men pre and post DOFP, MCU / TV, FF (at least for the moment)...

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'll also add Victoria Hand who is a comicbook character, now dead. Also, Daniel Whitehall (Kraken in the comics) is likely very much dead, but it's possible (although I'd argue unlikely) he has healing powers capable of bringing him back to life).

Listing this out of an abundance of caution. It's possible Donnie Gill (Blizzard) is dead, but I think it's extremely unlikely.

Side note, but one of John Garrett's appearances (and I think he only had two or three), he was more or less possessed by the Hand, so there is precedent for him being a villain, just not a full-fledged one.

ETA: Didn't realize the very first post mentioned Victoria Hand.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Can you add 'spoilers' to the thread heading please ?

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

You'd think the thread heading was self-explanatory. If you don't want to be spoiled on past movies and TV shows, maybe you shouldn't look into a thread titled "Which Comic Characters Have Died?".

Just sayin'. Obviously, it wouldn't hurt to put a Spoiler Warning into the title.

14. Alidar Jarok

I'll point out the tool tip will show Victoria Hand and Ben Urich so those who don't want to be spoiled will see that anyway. Maybe have the first post have SPOILER and a couple return lines to push that out of the way.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Done !

Belt and braces can't hurt any...

16. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's Marvel...
    Being dead and staying dead are 2 different things:rolleyes:

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait when did Connors die?

18. Alidar Jarok

There's only one actually dead character who was brought to life. There were several presumed dead characters who weren't actually dead. Most presumed dead characters were revealed not to be dead in the very same movie and one was clearly not going to be dead just because of the source material. That leaves you with Agent Coulson.

That argument is really overblown, particularly when it comes to the characters named in this list.

19. Turtletrekker

On that same note, there is also Franklin Hall (Graviton), unseen since AoS 1.03.

Blackout got blown up real good.

20. Turtletrekker

And there are a lot of characters that are essentially just names from the comics (Eric Koenig)

OK, here is the list so far, at as far as the MCU is concerned.

By sub-franchise...
    Characters marked with an "*" have wiggle room to return.

Iron Man movies

Obidiah Stane
    Anton Vanko
    Aldritch Killian
    Maya Hanson
    Ellen Brandt
    Eric Savin
    Jack Taggert

Thor movies
    Laufey
    Kurse
    Malekith
    Frigga

Captain America Movies

Abraham Erskine
    Red Skull*
    Jasper Sitwell
    Alexander Pierce
    Arguably Howard Stark, as it was here that we learn he was assassinated. Also, he is more of an actual character in the CA movies, as opposed to the more background role he played as Tony's already long dead father.

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Ronan
    Merdith Quill

Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Quicksilver

Ant-Man
    Jan van Dyne*
    Darren Cross

Agents of SHIELD

Franklin Hall/Graviton*
    Victoria Hand
    Mark Daniels/Blackout
    Eric Koenig
    John Garrett
    Donnie Gill/Blizzard*
    Isabelle Hartley
    Daniel Whitehall

Agent Carter
    Junior Juniper
    Zandow the Strongman (Yes, really!)

Daredevil
    Ben Urich
    Jack Murdock

Did I miss any? No comics deaths that I can remember from Incredible Hulk or Avengers.