Last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueStuff, Oct 8, 2017.

1. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Went to a matinee showing of Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins IMAX yesterday, had the whole theater to myself.

2. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Just watched "Mortal Engines". Interesting world concept, but the concept didn't hold up to scrutiny.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it. It's the kind of thing that nobody would blink twice at if it was anime. But I could see how it would seem too far-fetched as live action.

Kor

4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Two things could have made it make a bit more sense...
    1. Cities that have been "swallowed" by London have their citizens off-loaded. Because otherwise, anything gained from ingesting a city is lost on having more people to provide for.
    2. There's a little more preamble to the Londoners and anti-tractionists coming together at the end. It's not just "hi, we tried to kill you an hour ago, can we come in?"

5. douwed

douwed Lieutenant Red Shirt

Mortal engines was quite a bit more enjoyable than I expected after reading some reviews.

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Smokey and the Bandit, was on the tele last night.

7. douwed

I recently watched the assassination classroom live action films, granted I haven't read the manga or watched the anime, but I really enjoyed those two movies.

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I went out to AMC Lufkin last night to watch The Green Knight. That was pretty bizarre.

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Watched some westerns the last couple of days. All of European production, mostly Italian:

A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe
    A mid-70s western comedy starring the great Terence Hill doing his high energy antics, with a great supporting cast including Patrick McGoohan as the villain. It is also the last western film Sergio Leone worked on, working on the story, producing and even directing the opening scene. Not to mention the music by Ennio Morricone, fantastic as usual.

God Forgives, I Don't
    This was Terence Hill's first leading role in a western, and also his first film with co-star Bud Spencer. This was not a comedy, though, but a serious action western with quite the body count, although the movie was later re-edited and re-dubbed in Germany to turn it into a similar comedy that made Hill & Spencer so popular in the 70s and 80s. The villain was played by Frank Wolff, who went on to appear in two more high-profile Italian westerns, in The Great Silence as the by-the-book Sheriff Burnett, and in Once Upon A Time... In The West as the doomed Farmer McBain.

A Fistful of Dollars
    Don't think I need to say much about this one. It's on German Netflix, so might as well watch it again.

The Dark Valley
    This one is a bit of the odd one out, as it is not only the most recent film on the list (from 2014), but it's also the only non-Italian film. And not only is this film from Austria, it actually is set in the Austrian Alps, yet from all aspects, plot, characters, and look, it is undeniably a western. It's been described as an Alpine Western, and yeah, that fits. Great movie, too, with British actor Sam Riley (who speaks very good German) as a greatly conflicted anti hero, and a fantastic Tobias Moretti doing a lot of the heavy lifting on the part of the villains.

10. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tusk. I didn't like it. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

11. nedski

nedski Commander Red Shirt

The Truth (2019) . French, with Catherine Deneuve, Juliette Binoche and Ethan Hawke.
    A bit dull and its action focuses on the relationship between Binoche and Deneuve (her mother in the movie) during a movie shot.
    Hawke (a great actor in my opinion), plays the role of Binoche's husband - a low rated actor (in the movie) - a bit soft and immune in this role....
    6/10.

12. douwed

I watched the great war of Archimedes last night, the ending was a bit disappointing, but overall a fun movie.

13. Malicia

Malicia Fleet Captain Premium Member

Castaway. Gripping but I was a tad disappointed at how quickly everything is wrapped up at the end. It had another 10 minutes in the tank to make it a more fulfilling conclusion.

14. douwed

Castaway is a very fun movie, TommHanks is brilliant in it!

15. nedski

nedski Commander Red Shirt

16. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

The Suicide Squad (2021)--Thanks HBO Max! I didn't realize it was going to stream. Was a great 2 hours of fun with Gunn!

17. douwed

Gameboys the movie, streamed it, best eight bucks I spent in weeks.

18. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

19. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Suicide Squad. Enjoyed it:)

nedski and KennyB like this.
  20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Suicide Squad. It's the kind of movie that knows what it is and just goes for it. Really enjoyed it, but not as much as the rest of the world seems to.

Velocity likes this.