Kolchak: The Night Stalker (original)...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm jumping the gun here by a few days, but I've placed the order and I'm waiting for the original TV films and the series set of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I'm looking forward to it because I remember quite liking this back in the day and recall being disappointed it when it wasn't renewed.

At the same time I've also ordered The Prisoner series set. This is a series I've heard much about over the years, but I've never seen anything of it other than the opening sequence. Can anyone tell me how this compares with Danger Man, also known as Secret Agent Man in the U.S.?

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Ironically, I've only seen the opening of Danger Man, so all I can really tell you is that The Prisoner is likely a lot less conventional a spy series.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

This is the part where I mention that the original Kolchak tv-movies were written by Richard Matheson.

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

... which likely has a lot to do with why they were awesome.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't really remember any details about the original Kolchak Series, I do remember a scene in the bleachers at night, though. I do remember enjoying it though, and though most hated it, I actually enjoyed the Stuart Townsend reboot.

The Prisoner is great, major mind f'ing. In a few of the UFO episodes, I noticed some rather "Prisoner-like" schemes that Straker pulled, such as the episode where Paul Foster was brought in

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Night Stalker is a favorite of mine and Kolchak is one of my all-time favorite characters, so I'm going to be unapologetically prejudiced in his favor. :D

Aside from fan speculation that Number 6 is Drake from Danger Man, there's not much connection. The Prisoner is all about mind games. My favorite episode is "Many Happy Returns." I can't wait until you see that one. :rommie:

You probably know this, but he actually wrote three of them; in addition to the two that were filmed, he wrote The Night Killers, which was set in Hawaii (I read somewhere that this would have been used as a two-parter if there was a season two). There's a nice, but expensive, hardcover (numbered and signed) of all three scripts; I love Kolchak enough that I actually shelled out for it. I first heard of it when Matheson mentioned it in any interview with Twilight Zone back in the early 80s. I actually wrote to him and asked him if I could buy a copy from him; he very politely replied that if he still had a copy it would be too much trouble to look for it. :rommie:

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting choice, both series feature protagonists who might not fit in today's kind of shows.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, and although very different, I think the recent late 2000s reboot of the prisoner is very good as it's own thing, if you don't get caught up on the liberties taken with rebooting it (definitely appreciate the original first, though)

9. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

The Prisoner is wonderfully warped, like nothing else... never really watched either version of Kolchak.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I rewatched the tv series last year, shame the films weren't included on the boxset as I think they're better, certainly a lot creepier.

I think the show is ok, too formulaic and not nearly scary enough (although it does have its moments).

On the plus side Darren McGavin is always a joy to watch and I was really impressed that they actually managed to come up with some really inventive monsters of the week, they must have trawled the myths of dozens of cutulres (some are really obscure) to get them.

Plus its fun to spot the guest stars (Huggy Bear, Jaws, Ponch from CHiPS etc etc)

The Prisoner is a fantastic show, I'm not sure why I don't own it on DVD!

11. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

The Prisoner is fantastic. One of the oddest shows out there. Mcgoohan's manic performance and the colorful setting make it a treat to watch.

I have always wanted to check out Kolchak, but have not done so yet.

12. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

I too thoroughly enjoyed both the movies AND the series. I used to stay up late at night when they eventually started to play it on the CBS Late-Night show.
    I LOVED Darren McGavin in the role of Karl Kolchak, definitely not one of the atypical heroes you would see for a character in that particular type of show.
    I also loved how he did the "reporteresque" narrative style.
    "Meet Wanda, a wife and mother who was on her way home, wishing she didn't have to cook dinner this late....(****picture a monster coming up behind her and a closeup of her screaming****)....She never made it."

13. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I loved Kolchak when I was little!!! :D

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I loved the original Night stalker, too, and hated what the remake did to it. It started out a unique monster of the week show and the remaker's turned it into an X-Files clone.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Prisoner has been interpreted as a sequel to Danger Man, but it's neither confirmed nor denied in the series if Number Six is John Drake. However you decide to fall on the issue, The Prisoner is such a departure in style and tone from McGoohan's previous series that I would advise against viewing the series as a follow-up in any conventional sense. At times surreal, psychedelic, and totally paranoid, The Prisoner is rather unlike any other television series ever made.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Captain Mike that reportersque was dead on and strangley when I read it, it was in Kolchaks voice. Absolutely loved the show as it was very unique back in its day. I know Moonstone comics put out several series of Kolchak adventures and some were very accurate to the show.

17. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have closed that one with "She got her wish."

18. RJDiogenes

Darren McGavin was fantastic. He's one of my favorites. :bolian:

I was going to say because it's so expensive-- it was $150 the last time I checked. But I just saw it on Amazon for $25, so I think I'll get it. :D

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If you have a Blu-Ray player, the Blu-Ray set is well worth it. Not only does The Prisoner look great in HD, but there are actually some decent special features on the set, too.

20. RJDiogenes

Hmm. I don't have a Blu-Ray yet. But I suppose it's inevitable that I should get one.