Kirk's child

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You meant Doug Jung, not Justin Lin.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, right. Going to edit RIGHT now. :)

3. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

on a different note, I'd really love to hear any of them speak vulcan and other alien languages.
    Uhura speaking klingon in stid was so cool.

^ the reactions I see some fans having (such as those who claim that Uhura basically raped Spock in the turbolift) seem to reveal some fake (I hope) naiveness over the fact that if two fictional characters are being portrayed as a couple, them sharing scenes considered the easiest way the narrative can hint a non-platonic dynamic shouldn't be a surprise, or something worth any 'outrage'.
    Some people act as if they are 'told' about this detail, them being a couple, for the first time only when they see them kissing, as if they didn't know that already, and/or persuaded themselves into thinking they are just friends in spite of previous scenes already hinting something different, so everytime they are 'reminded' of that they project their exagerate reaction on the actual canon by painting things in a manner that is almost childish (e.g., 1 chaste kiss= EVERYTHING they do is making out! 2 minutes about the romance= OMG the whole movie is about romance cut their screentime down!)

I think regardless the fact that the audience should be able to 'imagine' what isn't showed, and thus we don't need the subtitles and commentary to understand everything, I still find it true that when it comes to a fictional world, the only way writers can make something 'real' in their story is by showing it, or at least imply its existence. Even what happens 'offscreen'.
    This doesn't apply to romance only, but any kind of relationship because, I suppose, if someone finds the dudebros 'boring' too, and isn't thus interested about that kind of interpersonal relationship either, they will say that it needs to 'happen' only offscreen too. If eveything happens offscreen we basically have no story and is more like a videogame than a movie (and even videogames have a story told in between the action)

4. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you suggesting that Carol was having an affair with McCoy this whole time? That she named her newborn child (supposedly with Kirk) after McCoy's father, David (that name, revealed btw, not long after David Marcus' death in STIII)?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, just that they had more obvious onscreen chemistry together. Carol and Kirk had none.

6. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Spock was the one who wound up having a kid, it'd balance out. This universe, Kirk dies to save the crew from Khan's machinations, while Spock has a child. (Though hopefully, he has more of a relationship with the child that Kirk did with David)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017