Spoilers Killjoys - Final Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Yeah, I was figuring he'd still have his bald top, at least. It's quite amusing how different Thom Allison looks. :D I was also kind of wondering if Seyah had been recast in Dutch's normal role, though that's perhaps not quite accurate. A pretty funny concept, though. ;)

2. Unicron

So the third episode was pretty interesting... wondering where they'll go with that. I admit it would be nice if they can bring back Lucy somehow.

Teelie likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's the last season, so I expect any departures will be permanent.

4. Unicron

It wouldn't surprise me, but it would still be cool if Johnny managed it potentially. :D That being said, in the more likely event it's permanent, I like how they handled it. :)

Teelie likes this.
  5. Unicron

Nice to see Aneela back at the end of last episode, so I'm interested to see where that goes.

6. Unicron

I liked the new episode. Nice to have Aneela back and Johnny and Dutch got some of their issues worked out. :D

7. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A younger, less skilled version of Lucy. A New Lucy ... Newcy... or Nucy.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm an episode behind... I still enjoy the show, but, sometimes things just aren't ever clear... like... Why does the lady want to invade? As long as this story line has been going on, it's never been quite clear... Like why would you invade some place that requires a lot of changing so you can live there? And from where is she invading?

I sorta wish the main story of the series had been between Westerly and Kreshi people, a more battle between haves and have nots...

9. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Just notice my work's clock machine sounds like Lucy.
    Maybe I should make friends with it and see if I can get some over time:rommie:

10. Professor Zoom

So Lucy is back? Meh. It seems surprising they wouldn’t just keep “her” dead. It’s the final season they can have all sorts of consequences now.

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So we now say goodbye to Dutch n the Gang but in a rather underwhelming way.

12. Christopher

Well. As series finales go, that was oddly inconclusive. Well, I guess this was the story of the Quad and the RAC, and the Quad is saved now and the RAC has been reconstituted with a new, more heroic mission, so the story is basically finished. But it's an ending that leaves a lot of room for going forward, not to mention some loose threads, like the throwaway mention of Johnny's long-forgotten search for Clara and the whole Hack-Mod business.

For a show that's gone to some pretty dark places, it's surprising what a happy ending it is for nearly everyone. None of the main characters who made it to this season died at the end, a couple of characters we thought were dead came back to life, and pretty much everyone ended up in a positive place and paired up with their respective true loves, if any. Even the Lady (or what remains of her in her human host) was given a chance at a new lease on life. I'd expected that Khlyen, at least, would sacrifice himself at the end to redeem his many, many mistakes that caused all this, but even he was happy and starting a new mission at the end.

Not that I wanted a tragic ending. I wanted the Killjoys to survive, stay a team, and go back to being Killjoys. That's basically what happened, give or take a year's sabbatical for Johnny and Lucy. But the war against the Lady's critters hasn't ended, so normality hasn't really been restored. I mean, sure, I like the idea that the RAC is now fighting for everyone's safety and truth and justice and all that, rather than being mercenaries taking any job for any paying client irrespective of its morality. I just wish it were more general peacekeeping and lifesaving work rather than specifically the continuation of the war against the critters.

There were some structural problems. We got that big opening scene where all the Big Damn Heroes lined up on the ridge and Dutch rallied them for the final battle... and then Turin, Fancy, Pree, Gared, and the prison-ship contingent completely disappeared until the denouement, not actually contributing anything of note to the resolution. Whaa?

All in all, I don't think the last two seasons lived up to the quality of the first three. They were still fun, but the whole Lady storyline and the war narrative didn't really hold together as well as the earlier seasons, and there was some difficulty balancing the various story and character threads. And the Lady was never a very effective nemesis, just a whiny and petulant brat who wasn't convincing as an all-powerful archfoe. Still, the first three years of Killjoys were excellent, and I'm glad its creators got to see it through to the end, even if it wasn't the best ending it could've had.

13. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

The real Lucy (Tamsin McDonough) is hot, both in voice and in person:
    [​IMG]

14. Professor Zoom

I'm not sure what that has to do with narrative choices, but, ok.

Well, the finale has come and gone. Meh. I stuck with it to the end, and sorta felt nothing.
    Though, I want to see a Pre spin off... I think that character was so interesting.

15. Unicron

Yeah, I generally agree. I don't think it was the worst series finale, but some elements did seem rushed and the Lady didn't seem as threatening this season as she did initially. It seems like a lot of potentially interesting plot threads were left unresolved, perhaps to make it feel like the heroes still had stuff to do and would carry on, but it could have been done better IMO.

16. Christopher

Both the "fake alternate lives in Old Town" arc and the prison ship arc felt like odd swerves away from the way things seemed to be going before, as if they retooled their plans to something that was based more on reusing a limited number of standing sets and therefore less expensive. Although that probably doesn't follow, since I think they shot seasons 4 & 5 back-to-back, so this may have been what they intended all along, for whatever reason. Still, some things did seem to get lost along the way.

17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’m super late on this, but over the last month or so I crushed the entire five seasons of this series, after buying it from Amazon. A few months back I finished Dark Matter, and that helped inspire me to give this series a try.

I liked the characters, production design, and season/series finale for Dark Matter better, however, this series seemingly did stretch its I’m assuming similarly limited budget further. I was also impressed with the cast, particularly the main trio, and the character development for main and supporting characters across the board. Hannah-John Kamen is an arresting beauty and a compelling actress. The worldbuilding was also well done, and felt more expansive than Dark Matter, albeit Dark Matter was cut short just as it was about to really take things up a notch. That said, I was confused by Qreshi politics and wished we had gotten a few more episodes in that world (I really liked Mayko Nguyen and wouldn’t have any issue with seeing more of her on the show), as well as the worlds or systems outside The Quad. I also enjoyed how the show built its mythology, though ultimately, I think that was a bit underwhelming.

The series was more humorous than I was expecting, including even some of the episode titles. I thought Level 6 and the Hullen were quite good for villains, but the series stumbled when it came to Aneela, and also The Lady. I liked the Lady more than Aneela, and I thought they did a good job when we finally got to see The Lady’s insectile form. I also liked the young actress who played the human host for The Lady. I liked how she talked and moved, it felt like an alien stuck inside a human body. And for some reason, she reminded me of DS9’s Female Founder, and I loved Salome Jens in that role.

I thought the first two seasons were the strongest and the series started to stumble once it did go bigger. That said, I liked how it handled many of the character arcs. I’m iffy on the series finale. I thought it was a bit too happy (there needed to be more lasting consequences, more loss for such a major enemy), but I was fine with the lack of finality. Life moves on, and the door is open for a spin off series, or a reunion television movie in the future.

I wonder if there is a cult following for this series that might give it new life sometime down the road.