Karl Urban -- blond or brunet?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jeri, May 26, 2009.

1. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I have Out of the Blue but haven't watched it yet. I have the house to myself this evening though - so that's my evening planned! I'll let you know :)

2. Doggeh

Doggeh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh God. I'm so glad I'm home alone right now. I just let out a pretty loud half giggle-half squee. I've always wondered what a young Karl looked like -- and he just adorable!

Watching Ghost Ship right now. I'm actually kind of enjoying the movie itself, which I wasn't expecting. I thought I'd be fast forwarding to all the Karl parts!

3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Watched Out of the Blue last night. I do recommend it as a movie - it's very good, but not if you're watching for Karl-pretty because there isn't any (other than what you get by just seeing his face, even if he is wearing a moustache). He's not in it that much, no-one is other than Matthew Sutherland who plays the killer David Grey.

I had thought when I read about the movie, that Grey was more of your shooter in a clock-tower type of spree-killer but he was actually prowling round all the houses in the village trying to break in while people were hiding inside, it must have been absolutely terrifying to live through (the movie's based on a true story).

Karl plays one of the policemen trying to stop Grey and he's very good. There's no fancy heroics, but that makes the movie more powerful - it's all so ordinary, just quiet life in a village except for the man with a rifle.

4. herdrakness

herdrakness Cadet Newbie

Thanks for the rundown on Out of the Blue. I just may have to get my hands on it... why isn't it pay day already?!

Be gald you were at home - I was at work when my boss gave it to me and my glee was far too obvious! I just started started pointing crazily to the 'man wall' behind me (where Karl has a starring roll :drool:) 'it's him! it's him!' . So groan-worthy!

but it was worth being such a dork to see a young Karl! Too cute!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  5. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished watching Ghost Ship....i thought it was good, not great, but so interesting to see Karl in it! I definitely like him better in his Dr Scruffy appearance.
    Caught a little bit of his accent here and there in this movie too.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    GHOST SHIP was only marginally better than DOOM. Karl has had his share of bad movies to have to co-star in, but thankfully he shines in them all.

7. Yeoman Randi

Really? You thought Ghost Ship was better? i didnt see all of Doom but what i saw i liked...mostly because it gave me the feeling of playing a video game, which i never do in real life. So i found that aspect cool. Still have to rent it and watch the entire thing though.

8. cooleddie74

I didn't like either. I just thought GHOST SHIP...as hackneyed and lame as the plot was...offered a few more actual thrills than DOOM's subpar and failed attempt to recreate the feel of the video game franchise. Both movies were D or F flops though and I wouldn't recommend either to anyone but hardcore Karl fans.

9. Yeoman Randi

I guess its that i just got a cheap thrill of feeling like i was playing a video game, you know?

10. cooleddie74

I just hope whenever the live-action HALO movie is finally made and comes out it'll be infinitely better than DOOM was. HALO is a superior storyline with much better characters and deserves far better screen treatment that replicates or at the very least pays decent homage to the HALO franchise.

Maybe Karl could play Master Chief? :lol:

11. Mrs_Whatsit

Mrs_Whatsit Commander Red Shirt

I have to agree with eddie. My original intention was to sit in front of the TV working on my laptop and only look up when I heard Karl's voice, but I actually got sucked into the story. I'm glad I didn't see the uncut version, though--I'm sure there's lots of goriness I thankfully missed.

Karl did a great job of making his character interesting (not that he had much to work with in the script). But all I could think of every time I saw him onscreen was that Munder badly needed to wash his hair. :eek:

12. Yeoman Randi

^ OMG yes! What was up with that greasy hair? Such a lovely looking man..he should have insisted they allow his hair to be clean! The gorriest part was within the first 5 minutes....after that it wasn't too bad.

13. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Someone posted in misc, that they are actually Karl Urban. So who is gonna be flying to New Zealand soon???

14. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Shut up! No way! (I am buying my plane ticket right now.)

And I posted this in MISC yesterday but I think I will post this here since it is technically Karl related.

For Halloween I went as Dr. McCoy's nurse, Nurse Greene.

[​IMG]

I am always willing and able to help the good doctor... in any way I can. :devil:

15. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Nice costume. I think Crusher is the one who will be surprised more than you, as she knows him on facebook also.

16. Yeoman Randi

FRANKENSMURF! You look awesome! Great costume! And, you are utterly adorable, i might add!

17. AstroSmurf

^ Why thank you! :alienblush: I love my boots.

18. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Adorable, indeed; how'd you get interested in TOS at your age?

19. Yeoman Randi

I can't see them that well...was it you who found "water" type boots? (i say 'water' because brain death occured at 6 am this morning and the right word isn't coming to me right now)

20. AstroSmurf

^ Actually the ones I found are motorcycle boots. I think you are thinking of galoshes.

And don't let the face fool you folks. I am 35. (And for the record, I started watching TOS reruns back in 1980. My brother and I would watch MASH, TOS and Tom Baker Doctor Who every Saturday night starting at 6. From TWOK on I have seen every Trek movie in the theater. :bolian: I am getting old!)