Justin Roiland looking at 7 years in prison for domestic violence.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Rich Watson, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I've also seen recent videos on youtube of AI voiced clips created by fans for Rick and Morty. They are not perfect, but with the right people involved and with money behind that I think they could get very VERY close to what came before.

2. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And? There's another thread for Baldwin, this is about Roiland.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  4. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm still sitting on the skeptical side of his influence on the show, because, as I said before, this is exactly what Adult Swim and those who want to keep their jobs (aka the show continuing) would say whether it's the truth or not, to reassure fans and keep them coming back. They were either lying before about how much input he had in the show before the charges became public or they're lying now that the charges are public that he had no input in the show. Either way, they lied at some point because it was in their best interest and I'm not going to side with the most recent story being true because it's the most recent.

It'll be a long time before the truth finally comes out. Likely well after the show reaches its end. I suspect in the end it will be a mixture.

I'm not saying it's impossible - it seems pretty normal. Seth McFarlane has nothing to do with his cartoons either, beyond providing the voices. And most of the writing staff for them have never met him either. But McFarlane's lack of participation hasn't been a secret. I remember Soren Bowie, a story editor on the show, talking about how he's never seen the man a year or so ago on Twitter.

5. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If someone goes to jail and does their time then what is wrong with hiring them when they get out? I understand the fear because I would have the fear but maybe it's wrong to have the fear. Justice means you pay for the crimes you do by going to jail. But when you get out that debt is suppose to have been paid.

I know that works better as a idea but it is suppose to be what justice is. I also know someone might say they can just go work another job with less glory or fame but it's still the same issue. Why would they want to hire a ex-con either?

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's people not dependant on them that have said the same thing.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But if they didn't that wouldn't they still have to credit and pay him since they'll be using his voice to make it?
    I'm thinking the stuff coming out now is true, it would make perfect sense for them to exaggerate his input since people loved him so much. And the stories coming out now seem awfully complex and detailed to all be lies.
    Honestly, I think Rick & Morty actually got better once Roiland and his guys left. There were a lot of good early episodes, but I think it's really gotten consistently great the last few seasons.

8. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

There are certain jobs that you legally cannot do even after getting out of prison.
    Working in film/TV again I understand but certainly should not be put in a position where he could exert coercive control over someone.

9. Jayson1

I think putting him a leadership role would be crazy as well. But I could see him being hired to do voices or working as a writer. I am sure though people would be expecting a Micheal Vick style of reform of character when being let out of jail before hiring him. Unless someone was desperate to find talent.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are always far fewer jobs in the entertainment industry than there are job-seekers. For every Justin Roiland, there's an equally-talented artist out there who has not committed horrific sex crimes. Why should he get an acting job instead of an equally-talented person who didn't rape, sexually assault, and kidnap someone?

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  11. Jayson1

You can apply that logic to any job he would get when getting out of jail. Why hire him to work at Burger King when that job could go to some lady or guy who was never arrested and needs money for bills. It's pretty much I would imagine the same story for any ex-con who gets out of jail. The only reason I can think is someone simply believes he would be good at the job, he is available and he bothered to apply.

The idea is he is suppose to reform in prison while paying the price for his illegal actions. Once you get out you are suppose to now live a better more ethical life having learned from the experience. Granted that I know is more idealistic than what reality likely is for ex-cons as many go back to crime but we are suppose to judge people as individuals instead of stats.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I guess that would be most likely. But he is probably still getting money now anyway from the past seasons he has done.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure, but immediately going righ back to the position where he did those things probably wouldn't be the best idea. Don't most people who really do reform, tend to avoid the situation where they got in trouble?

14. Jayson1

Well if he goes away for 7 years I am pretty sure Rick and Morty will be off the air by then. I do think him going back to that particular job, should it still exist would be a issue.

If it means a writing room though I am guessing that wouldn't be a issue. He wouldn't be in a position of much power. Not being a showrunner or creator and all. If he ever made another show then maybe that would be risky but by the time you would think he would have had several years of freedom by then to have built up some trust from others he has reformed. Trust being built over time and all.

15. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Based on reports that the staff of R&M is glad he's gone because of how little he actually contributed to the show and how difficult he was to work with I doubt he'll be getting too many job offers when all of this over. He'll probably end up doing some crowdfunded project that fails to deliver what he promised and pisses off the fans he has left at this point. Just like John K, who showed his own fanbase what working with him was like.

Amaris and Sci like this.
  16. Jayson1

I wouldn't trust reports of people trying to dismiss his impact on the show as of right now. People tried doing that when the Joss Whedon story broke awhile back when talking about his legacy. Similar stuff when Kevin Spacey got fired from "House of Cards."

For starters the show is not cancelled. I mean what else are they going to say? "We are so screwed now that he isn't around." You basically got to positive spin the whole thing if you want to keep the show going. Plus the guy seems like he is a asshole at the very least so I am guessing not to many sad eyes over him going on those grounds.

17. Sci

I think there's a very big difference between a job that will allow him to support himself and a job that would confer upon him enormous levels of privilege, fame, and money.

Yes. Doesn't mean you're entitled to become rich and famous again.

Really? Because I saw the opposite. For years, people claimed that Whedon wasn't the showrunner on seasons six and seven of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and wasn't running Angel, but then when the Charisma Carpenter thing broke, Marti Noxon started claiming that Whedon was really still making the major creative decisions on season six, and Carpenter was saying he was intimately involved in running Angel and personally made the decision to fire Carpenter. People literally started saying he had had more involvement with his shows than they had previously claimed.

Amaris likes this.
  18. Jayson1

Nobody is entitled to be rich but if someone pays for their crimes and faces Justice and reforms why does it matter if they have success afterwards. If he gets a job and does it well and becomes a good citizen why should he not benefit from his work? Revenge is not the same as justice.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And you have to keep in mind that after they make these products, they have to sell them. If your sponsors flee because of your involvement with questionable people, then you're shooting yourself in the foot by maintaining the association.

20. Sci

... Is there a particular reason you're more concerned with letting rich white male rapists maintain their positions of extreme privilege in spite of their crimes than anything else?

Turtletrekker likes this.