Justice League official "Zack Snyder" cut on HBO Max

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ar-Pharazon, May 20, 2020.

1. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commander Red Shirt

Is there an actual definitive list of all the changes that Whedon made to the movie?

I'm reading articles online now where Snyder is saying that only 1/4 of what he filmed ended up being used.

If I'm reading things correctly, Justice League was initially planned as two movies, with Steppenwolf as the bad guy for the first film, leading into Darseid for the second.

Then the film was reworked into a stand alone film with a post credits scene that would set up a second film.

So, Snyder goes ahead and films Justice League and turns in a supposedly three hour rough cut of the movie at which point the studio mandated a movie time of about two hours and a lighter tone.

Snyder goes to work on editing and during the editing process has to leave for personal reasons at which point Joss Whedon is brought on board to radically reshape and restructure the movie.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm finding it somewhat hard to believe that there's enough extant footage lying around to make this a four hour movie, let alone a six part miniseries.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's officially known as the "Peter Jackson Effect".

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Insane American Premium Member

This.

Sadly, it's too late.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Meh. I'd watch it, but I certainly wouldn't be excited about it beforehand (besides--I've already seen a full Whedon version--it's called The Avengers). However, fair's fair (if it were possible).

TREK_GOD_1 and Gaith like this.
  5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn it, ninja'd. :p

6. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds a LOT like Richard Donner starting to make Superman: The Movie and Superman II simultaneously, getting to about the halfway point on the latter only to have WB/Salkinds step in and say "Stop work on II, focus on finishing I, we'll come back and finish II after its release." Of course, we all know what happened after that. Except in this case, it would be more like WB throwing out the half-shot Superman II altogether and having Richard Lester rewrite/reshoot the majority of Superman: The Movie.

And I've actually heard it's more like only a fifth of Snyder's footage made it into the final cut.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Like, a reliable source?

8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eh, I think it was either Bleeding Cool or io9. But if Snyder's saying a fourth, then a fourth it is.

EDIT: Not sure how reputable snydercut.com is, but here's what it's claiming:

- The Snyder Cut is 3 hours 34 minutes long. All principal photography was finished and most post-production done before Whedon was brought in. (That syncs with only $30 million more needed to finish, assuming it's CGI/ADR/scoring work.)
    - Confirming Snyder's claim, 3/4th of the two-hour theatrical cut is Whedon. (Maybe that's where I was getting confused.) Only 10% of the original cinematographer's shots is in there.
    - Multiple characters thrown out - Darkseid, Ares, Iris West among others.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 8:58 PM
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't have minded seeing a Whedon movie vs injustice league, but I was more interested in Snyder's movie vs Darkseid.

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

In case you missed it:

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  11. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Vice Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, they've already talked about this on Screen Junkies Universe, their (currently semi-)daily panel talk show how they jumped the gun with that one. Still funny.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless Zack is bosom buddies with Gal, Ben, Hank or Jason, they are going to want many millions to suit up for reshoots, becuase I doubt that they are contractually obligated to assume that any future work is still associated to a cheque they cashed 4 or 5 years ago.

Ray, Ciaran and Fisher are TV affordable.

13. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Take it sleazy Moderator

It wasn’t a memorable movie for me and I have no desire to ever watch it again. But something about it made me uncomfortable. I think it was mostly the scene of her in the tub and him silently walking in.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Tomorrow Never Knows Premium Member

#releasetherealsnydercut

Ovation likes this.
  15. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, wow, really? See, to me, that scene does a great job of showing their connection and intimacy. (And in the extended cut of the scene, Cavill's body is on display much more than Adams's, if that's an issue.)

Thestral and Ovation like this.
  16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

What happens when everyone watches it and realizes its even more crap than the salvaged version?

*fan wears tinfoil hat*

"He must keep the TRUE version locked away in a safe somewhere! Yeah........Yeah........."

kirk55555 likes this.
  17. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I thought that was a great scene, and Clark and Lois were a couple and they had great chemistry together.

Thestral, Ovation and The Realist like this.
  18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Admiral

My take on it too.. if i'm in a committed relationship and my SO is taking a bath i wouldn't think twice about going into the bathroom and vice versa. It's a different animal if the partner is in the bathroom for #1 or #2 - that is a process i don't want to see and everything can wait until she is done and out of the bathroom ;)

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Super strength and random flares of heat vision and superbreath mid coitus.

Its possible that they can only have sex in a bath tub.

theenglish and N-121973 like this.
  20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Haha especially now that we have kids, we never lock the toilet of bathroom.
    I don't care if my wife does a #1 or 2, if I have to do something in the bathroom I do it. :)