Justice League official "Zack Snyder" cut on HBO Max

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ar-Pharazon, May 20, 2020.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I've forgotten the details already, but wasn't there some minor plot point or dialogue in Aquaman that ran counter to the theatrical JL? Something to do with Arthur being at/going to/having been in Atlantis?

I may be recalling incorrectly.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ The place he went to in JL wasn't Atlantis the city, but another part of the Atlantean kingdom.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

DC is not going back to Snyder as their overall film style/tone, period. His DCEU films were financial disappointments (making money but not as much as WB expected) and mostly critically failures, while the non/post Snyder films have all reviewed fairly well and made a lot of money. Snyder couldn't make a film starring the two biggest superheroes on Earth crack a billion, while Aquaman, by a director who likes color, fun and who doesn't worship Ayn Rand, made over 1.1 billion dollars (and with a budget that was potentially 50+ million dollars less then BvS). Wonder Woman made almost as much as BvS, and its budget was smaller so it probably was as profitable if not more so. Even Shazam, while not making even half of BvS, had a budget small enough, and good enough reviews, that it seems to have made potentially over 3 times its budget back.

Snyder and his style was bad for reviews, profits, and his association dragged down DC films in general. DC/WB has been doing better since Snyder left. Even their "serious/dark" film Joker, for as shit as the film turned out to be, was super profitable while being a completely different kind of film then the type Snyder makes. Letting Snyder make a cut of JL is one thing, but it is more profitable, and more popular, to not have him making new movies for them.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  4. DigificWriter

The vast majority of this is your opinion and only your opinion.

The Lensman likes this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not an uncommon opinion.

6. DigificWriter

A common opinion is still just an opinion.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's another trailer doing the rounds, leaked phone footage, which says "May" so it's quite a way away.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Aquaman already reference Snyder's version?

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

HBOgo is a web site that hosts webisodes.

You can argue that webisodes are not canon, unless they are also let loose as a movie or broadcast Terrestrially, and have rubbish thrown at you for being a crazy twit.

10. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

HI
    Here's a link to the panel. He mentions hoping to 'bundle' it as one thing around the 18 minute 40 second mark.

11. EdSanders63

EdSanders63 Ensign Red Shirt

They mentioned yesterday there is no more DC canon...thanks to their embrace of the multiverse every film is its own thing and doesn't have to match up to any other one.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It only seems logical to me that after they release the 4 installments that there would be an option to watch it as one large whole. In fact, I would've thought it to be a no-brainer, I'd be more surprised if they didn't d that.

Jax likes this.
  14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I don't blame you for not watching the Theatrical Justice League.

Personally I love Man of Steel and I like BVS (like the UE more), which would of made more money and received better reviews if they had released the Ultimate Edition in Cinema's because it had that pesky thing called a plot. WB chopped up BVS and JL with the latter getting Whedon to abuse his actors during re-shoots that clearly changed the tone of the movie. I'd also like the point out the fan reviews of Man of Steel and BVS were much higher than Critics.

I do wonder now will be ever get to see the originally intended Suicide Squad? Probably not and to be fair I don't think anything could save Jared Leto's Joker.

15. kirk55555

Having seen both versions of BvS, the theatrical is 1000x better in my opinion, even though it is still one of the worst "superhero" films ever made. Adding an extra half hour did nothing to help the film, it just had more of the same problems as the rest of the movie (terrible script, story, directing, acting, all the standard Snyder bullshit, etc) but now with even worse pacing problems. Nothing could have saved BvS with the script and director it had, but if anything the film needed to be shorter, not longer.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is this supposed to be Justice league or Watchmen from 2009?:angel::lol:

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When fucking Aquaman makes more money than Batman & Superman, there is pretty clearly something wrong with the way you are handling those characters.

18. kirk55555

Yep. I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked the character of Aquaman in the comics long before the film came out, and the film is pretty good, but when Aquaman beats the film that was the first live action crossover of Batman and Superman, the biggest superheroes in the world, at the box office, something really didn't work.

Regardless of whether someone likes Snyder's DC films or not, he obviously doesn't have a philosophy/style that works well with making superhero films for a general audience. Even if he had finished making Justice League for theaters, it almost certainly wouldn't have been any more successful then Whedon's version, and easily could have done worse.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

$1 billion should have been the floor for a Batman/Superman crossover movie. Done right, it could have made Avengers money--which was obviously the goal.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

You are only convincing yourself, since all DCEU films are linked and continue to be. Snyder's JL cut is known to have scenes that were intended to link both major and sub-plots of the films in one way or another, which is just icing on the cake.

The Shazam disaster did not..