Joker Origin Story Announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Exactly. Plus this:
    It's established that his 'dating' the lady in the apartment building earlier in the movie was all a scenario in his mind.

KennyB likes this.
  2. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

What they are, first and foremost, is human beings who are in a lot of pain. Why should it be so controversial for a film to recognize that?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  3. Jason Voorhees

Jason Voorhees Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with that. I actually heard people talking about mental health in a real way since the movie came. The isolation that comes with mental health and people not having a good support system when dealing with it. Jason

Shaka Zulu and F. King Daniel like this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie was amazing. It touched all the wrong buttons in the right way. I wasn't expecting it to actually tie into the Batman mythos the way it did, but that's distant secondary to Athur's story.

People are going to be talking about this one for a very long time. 10/10.

Shaka Zulu and Starkers like this.
  5. F. King Daniel

Also, it's been 90 minutes since I saw it and I feel no compulsion whatsoever to commit violent crimes.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    Well, the thing's made over a quarter of a billion dollars worldwide in four days.

Who knew that as a demographic incels had such box office clout?*

*Okay, probably Michael Bay.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  8. plynch

plynch Commodore Commodore

I'll bet there were others who did in addition to the one we know of.

9. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    Michael Moore's review.

I take this dude more seriously since he accurately predicted exactly how Trump would win the Presidency, and did it in mid-summer of 2016.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love if they leaned into that though. A guy going around dressed as a Bat beating up criminals, have it be more than just a passing insult. Have him as a man whose body won't hold out for years with the strain he puts it through, a man who has his teeth knocked out but is unphased because he's on a mission to clean up Gotham.

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, we have the ever-so-honest mainstream news media (and their hive-minded surrogates) to thank for pretty much rubbing their crystals / reading Ouija boards, hoping some white male would scream something, the open fire in a theatre, or claim in Flip Wilson-esque fashion, "The Joker Made Me Do It!" during the film's opening. They are noticeably silent after their sickening wish did not come true. Another in the "L" column for the propagandists.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Commodore Commodore

I think they should make a Batman movie in this universe, but as the antagonist. The protagonist is still Joker, just trying to get by, and that idiot rich kid Batman always meddling in his affairs, ignorantly protecting the true evil doers, while oppressing the lower class. Sounds like the movie Snyder always dreamed of making, so that would be the movie to bring him back for.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

That was pretty good, if not quite as good as initial reviews suggested, IMHO. Phoenix was astounding though; a whole new take on it. While Ledger had his hair flicking, grimacing and lip-licking, he has this hunched pain, the agonised involuntary laugh and flamboyant twirls and pirouettes. Plus with his skeletal frame, he looks more like the comic Joker than any other actor has.
    Is anyone going to open a spoiler-filled review thread?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  14. crookeddy

We're going to have to use this thread for it I think.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. KennyB

KennyB Rear Admiral Premium Member

This was my take away as well. I was actually a tad disappointed in the film as a whole..........but Phoenix was amazing on so many levels.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a phenomenal piece of film making to be honest, I mean a lot of that is down to Phoenix obviously, I just couldn't take my eyes off the screen, but the way the film's structured...I mean the way that huge set of stairs factors into the storyline alone was fantastic IMO.

Don't get the incel controversy, to be honest of the films I've seen this year I find Rambo and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood more problematic. The kind of person who'd go nuts in real life might be more like Arthur Fleck in reality, but they won't see themselves as Arthur Fleck, they'll see themselves more as John Rambo or Cliff Booth. Imo obviously :shrug:

Captaindemotion likes this.
  17. F. King Daniel

Athur had many problems, and although he fantasized about his neighbour (and may well have done something horrible to her at the end, the movie cuts from her begging him to leave to him outside), sexual frustration didn't seem to be near the top of his list or an instigating factor in his eventual actions.

Therefore, not incel. Their whole pathetic lives revolve around not getting laid.

Starkers likes this.
  18. Dry Bones 37

Dry Bones 37 Admiral Admiral

Yup. What bothers me more is that they seemed to be wishing for it to happen.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  19. crookeddy

This discussion is so weird... The media only picked up on this when theater chains were warned by the military of increased chatter on the incel boards. There was deemed to be a high probability of attack - the media didn't make that up...

20. F. King Daniel

This is the perfect movie for World Mental Health day. Arthur wanted help and tried to get it but was badly let down by a broken system. That's what makes it so sad. He'd never have been "happy", but I think he could have been much closer to "content" if the system were as willing or capable as he.

Turtletrekker and Professor Zoom like this.