Jericho 2x7: Patriots and Tyrants (Final Ep!) Rating/Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rygel XIX, Mar 25, 2008.

?

Grade Jericho 2x7: Patriots and Tyrants

1. A

78.6%
  2. B

16.1%
  3. C

3.6%
  4. D

1.8%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well they didn't actually get officially married. They just happened to exchange some words in the scene immediately following Beck's departure from the farm.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They didn't actually get married. They just sort of exchanged vows over Bonnie's grave. Given the rush, it was the closest were were gonna get to a wedding.

3. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was worth a solid A. There were some faults of course but that is more due to the constraints everyone was under than anything else. When you have to distill 22+ episodes to 7 and still keep fans happy (a difficult and often thankless task) what do folks expect? I am still hoping that Jericho can continue somehow but I am happy to have gotten these 7 eps.

Mega-Kudos for the bit in the beginning with Gray talking about the 2nd Amendment!

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was more reminscent of the finale for Jeremiah. An end of sorts. A finale that works either way.

I thought that the episode was a fantastic season finale. Not so sure about it being the best series finale. It's understandable that this is how it went down, given the nature of its fragile existence.

If this is it then I'll miss the show. Jericho became good, really, really good at the end of the first season. Season 2, for me, continued that level of quality. It's better than a lot of the stuff that's been renewed through next season IMO, and deserved another year. It's disappointing that the numbers weren't better, if they had have been then it wouldn't have mattered either way, but CBS should really have at least tried to move it to another timeslot. It seems to me like they aired the first few episodes (which had already been leaked), looked at the numbers and pretty much determined its fate at that point, effectively burning off the remaining episodes in a nothing timeslot.

5. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently, the decision was made last Thursday and Barbee requested the announcement be held off for 24 hours. The cast didn't even know until Friday morning.

6. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

7. archeryguy1701

Well, Barbee was on a radio show last night (Shaun O'Mac I think is the host's name). She said thst SciFi initially had no interest in airing new episodes, but they are reciecing tons of pressure and are seriously in talks for it now. She also stated that SciFi's budget requirements are close to what Jericho did this season, so it's very doable for them to get the price down to the required range. The cast is still entirely with the program if it gets moved. There was also a comment about Paramount being 100% behind the series and getting it sold since it is still a very obvious asset to them. So, it would appear that we have a season finale on our hands right here! :D

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A, of course.

Now we know for sure this show is written by bitter right-wingers. J&R is threatening the Second Amendment! That proves they're fascists!

Nice way to handle the Stanley-Mimi nuptuals without wasting a lot of time! :D "Let's get marrried! Yeah okay!"

I halfway thought my prediction about Hawkin's Big Death was going to come true! :eek: I guess the producers had more faith that the show might be picked up somewhere...if there's an inkling of hope, they aren't going to off the best-liked character.

A civil war scenario would be fun, tho there's still the logic issue. If Hawkins' PowerPoint presentation is enough to change the minds of Beck and all his guys, why not just share it with the world? Who exactly is going to back J&R? (Which just highlights the unlikeliness of any PowerPoint presentation changing everyone's minds - too easily faked.)

They've been waiting 150 years for that chance. Those bastards shot down planes when they were still clearly in Oklahoma airspace! :mad: The game of What Would Happen if All The States Fought is irresistable. :rommie: Cmon Skiffy! This is much better than any of the crap you have planned.

We'd be on whatever side Texas isn't on. :p

PS you forgot Oregon.

But that does raise an interesting irony. The patchwork of red and blue states west of the Mississippi have really just one thing in common: they are more libertarian than the East. More pro-Second-Amendment but also more pro-gay rights, legalizing pot, etc. Lefties or Righties, they're more of your get-the-gubmint-out-of-my-life crowd. It's the pioneer/frontier thing.
    They should have had that written on the sides of the planes. :rommie: But it's probably coprighted or something and Texas would get mad and sue them. :rolleyes:

I was laughing my ass off! They really put them on with velcro? That's loyalty for ya!
    I will take back every bad thing I ever said about Skiffy* if they will only GIVE US BACK JERICHO! I will even watch your Boa vs. Python crapfests!

*Except for Farscape. Not letting them off the hook for that! :mad:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  9. MIB

MIB Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Whatever it is, it better be good. Because I think I just declared war on Cheyenne...."

The blase delivery of that line from the Texas ANG pilot made me laugh. (In a good way.) Clearly the Texans were itching for an excuse to open a can of whoop ass on their bretheren.

I must say I'm impressed. I recall when the majority opinion was that Jericho was a crap series only for the majority opinion to do a complete one-eighty by the end of Season 1. Jericho is certianly worth of the chang of heart, imo. It's a shame that the fools on CBS canceled it yet again, but I'm happy with what I got. It would be nice if another channel picked it up, but honestly I'm leary on the possibility of Skiffy being the channel to do so. They promptly run adopted shows straight into the ground and even their own original shows generally turn out to be shit.

10. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to watch the snow in season one, I think I stopped watching after the episode where Jake and Eric go to some hospital and lose their ID or something. I enjoyed the show but life just got in the way and other shows, things were more important. So watching the 'finale' episode brought some closure; however, it felt more like an epsiode within a season then a series finale. I suppose cliff hangar would be apprioriate but there really wasnt anything left in the air at the end. So a civil war was going to start and texas aligned with the blue states.

I'd give the episode a B, but given my lack of history with the snow any grade is highly missleading.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Coming to the party a bit late...

What on Earth makes you think that the hippies and liberals were the ones who were holding power in the California and Washington Statehouses? To say nothing of the possibility that the Allied States was using force to get them to join. After all, it's not like the citizens of Jericho, Kansas, ever agreed to become citizens of the Allied States; it just happened. Who knows what kinds of tricks the Allied States used to seize power in the western states?

You would think so, wouldn't you? Yet even in real life, conservatives continue to support a US President who thinks that he ought to have the right to detain without trial or jury anyone he declares to be an enemy combatant without any judicial oversight. Hardly the stance of someone who genuinely supports limited government.

Well, the thing to remember about the Allied States is that it's not even a truly Conservative government; rather, it's a Corporatocracy. It's a Fascist state in the original sense of the term: The merging of the state and the corporation. So the Allied States government represents an extreme vision of what might happen if, in essence, Wall Street became the capital of the United States. The Big Business branch of the Republican Party, so to speak, as opposed to its Libertarian or Conservative or Neo-Conservative or Fundamentalist Christian branches.

Certainly true. Then there's the fact that with an entire country full of people without power, without food, folks are more likely to follow a government that promises to put food back on the table and the hot water running again. Like FDR said, a hungry people is a receipe for dictatorship.

Another interesting thing to consider....

What if Tomarchino is the legitimate Constitutional successor to the US President, and that's how he initially got his support? After the bombings, most of the government would have been gone, and most Member of Congress dead. Now, in real life, there's always a designated survivor, a member of the Cabinet who's taken away -- but what if he died, too?

Let's say that there were 35 members of the House of Representatives outside of D.C. when the bombings went off who survived, and maybe 7 Senators. With the Speaker and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate dead, and with the entire Cabinet and VP gone, then who would become the next President would be dependent upon which chamber's surviving members elect their presiding officer first. If the surviving House members elected a new Speaker first, then that new Speaker would automatically then be elevated to the presidency; if the surviving Senators elected their new Senate President Pro Tempore first, he would automatically be elevated to the presidency. It would, quite simply, be a race.

What if Tomarchino was elected to the position of Senate President Pro Tempore first, and thus legally became the US President? He could then have moved his administration to Cheyenne, won over the loyalty of most of the US Armed Forces in the West, but, then, in the course of events, let's say that the newly-elected Speaker argued that because the Speaker comes first in the line of succession, he should be president and not Tomarchino, and he wins over a sizeable percentage of the armed forces in the East. You could have a situation where two people could both have claims to the presidency that would seem very strong to most people.

Anyway, that's my pet theory: That Tomarchino was the legitimate US President after the bombings -- or at least a legitimate US president -- and used that to consolidate his power. Then, after he'd built up a strong enough power base, he decided to play the idea of a "reborn" America by changing the name and the flag.

There could be any number of possible reasons. For one, I imagine that maintaining security in New York City would be a nightmare; 12 million people and you're wanting to relocate a national government that was just brought down, or damn near so, by what amounts to a backseat nuke into a population center that large? Further, the other states in the Union might object to New York holding such a position of dominance over national politics (which, indeed, is part of the original reason New York wasn't made our permanent capital). Another thing to consider is that with most of the major population centers gone, the survivors would mostly be rural. Rural folk may object to such a decidedly urban center holding power; Columbus is a decent compromise. It's a city, but it's not incredibly huge or all that disconnected from rural areas, either. Drive a bit in any direction from Columbus and you're in farmland. Columbus is more geographically centralized than New York, too, and the surviving US government may have wanted to appear somewhat geographically central.

Further, Columbus is actually fairly well-equiped for that kind of thing. The Ohio Statehouse is almost as large as the United States Capitol, for instance, and it's surrounded by state-owned skyscrapers that house most of the remainder of the state government that are all connected underground via tunnels. I don't know if any other state capitals have a setup like that. Columbus would also be more militarily defensible than the whole of New York because it's smaller (though it wouldn't be more defensible than Manhattan, what with that being an island and all, to be fair). Ohio may have also just demanded that it be located in Columbus as a condition of not joining the Allied States. Another possibility is that the Governor of Ohio may have an illegitimate claim to the US Presidency but that the remaining Eastern states have just decided he's a better option than Tomarchio.

Nor a state's. That's why the capital city of the State of New York is the City of Albany, not the City of New York, and the capital of the State of California is the City of Sacramento, not the City of Los Angeles. To say nothing of the fact that Washington, D.C., is our federal capital rather than New York or Los Angeles or Chicago.

I found it inspiring, not chilling. American soldiers rejecting the badge of fascism.

I liked that Mayor Grey, a major asshole last season, has had such a nice character arc. I liked seeing him fly Johnston's Gadsden Flag -- though, I have to say, I really wanted to see them pull down the Allied States Flag, burn it, and fly up the Flag of the United States again. Oh well. ;)

Anyone else find it interesting that the new Allied States Capitol that J&R were building in Cheyenne looked like it was basically a copy of the US Capitol?

12. archeryguy1701

Actually, our state capitol doesn't look all that dissimilar from the capitol in the finale. In fact, looking at the pics, it looks like they are just doing work on what was the Wyoming captiol.
    White House:
    [​IMG]
    Current state capitol:
    [​IMG]
    Jericho's ASA Cheyenne, WY capitol:
    [​IMG]

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

This isn't totally true you'd have to drive several miles to the south of the city to find any real farmland and I270 pretty much covers the entire city limits and the city is expanding all the time and there's alot of developing areas around the city and the suburban towns.

But it is pretty cool that the new capital is located here in Colmbus. :techman:

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I find it interesting, though, that Tomarchio himself refers to the US Government seated in Columbus as "the old federal government." However unintentional on his part, that would seem to imply somewhat that that government has a more legitimate claim to being the country's leadership than his Allied States government has.

15. archeryguy1701

What really fascinates me about Tomarchio's behavior is that if he truely is corrupted and out to take over the nation, why is he telling the ASA townfolks that the other government is actually made up of old cabinent members who were in line for the presidency. There's just something about that that makes me question what his motives are exactly.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Maybe he was trying to prevent an Alien Invasion...

Sorry that was Star Wars in the Expanded Universe's explanation for Palpatine.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, the dome of the building under construction there is far too fat and short to be the Wyoming State Capitol. The architecture is different throughout the entire building, in point of fact -- the color is different, the facade is different, it's more Greek Revivalish-looking... It's pretty much a copy of the US Capitol. (And I really ought to know, since I spent several months interning in the Russell Senate Office Building and got the same basic view of the East Front of the Capitol as is seen in that screencap.)

Look, see:

[​IMG]

(The White House, which you posted above, is pretty, but irrelevent; we're talking about capitols, the buildings that house legislatures, not the buildings that house executives.)

Pere, you old son of a gun, how ya been?

Yeah, Tomarchio refers to the government in Columbus as the "old federal government." That doesn't mean that he didn't originally hold the US Presidency, though; the President is not the living incarnation of the Federal government, after all. It's entirely possible that Tomarchio, as US President, was pushing for a strike on his chosen fall guys, North Korea and Iran, but that the surviving Members of Congress and highest-surviving-ranking executive branch officials tried to stop him, and that this, combined with the other people laying claim to the presidency, caused a rift in the military's loyalties. Tomarchio and his followers could then have moved to Cheyenne and broken off with the rest of the government and started branding them the "old federal government" that could never make a decision and was too weak to act to protect America -- thus "rebranding" America to his liking by declaring the United States to have become the Allied States and the old federal government as being illegitimate.

But, yeah, it's just one possible scenerio. It's just as possible that he's a purported states rights fanatic, and hence his "Allied States" concept instead of a "United States" concept, implying a great deal more power and sovereignty for the states....

18. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

Awesome finale! Awesome show! Here's hoping it gets picked up by another network.

Question for you guys.. Why was Jake's mother only in 1 ep this season? Was it the decision of the writers to write her out? Was it to cut expenses? (im not sure if she is expensive). Or was the actress not interested/not avail?

19. archeryguy1701

It was a mix of things. Part of it was budget; just cutting out anyone that wasn't needed for the story. Another thing is they basically got rid of everybody who had a few years under their belt, so it was a young cast. She had actually done some interviews and I think posted on the Jericho boards after she found out that she was being cut out, and she was pretty pissed.

20. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

That's too bad. It would have been nice to at least have seen her in the finale. Maybe a scene with Gray in front of town hall helping him raise Johnston's flag or something.

Would love to read her post. I'll have to look for them. Thanks!