Jennifer Lien in trouble again?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by oskarr, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

When googling Jen's name in search of a more hopeful update, I came across one of those websites that pretends to know what someone makes.

The website was aware of all of Jen's recent legal problems then it admitted while IT didn't know how much she was worth at present, "Authoritative websites" as recently as 2017 pegged her at 5 million dollars.

I bet Jen would love to know where they came up with that number.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

I don't know how true that is, or isn't. I've heard that the stars of TNG are 'set for life' (a subjective term for sure) based on their work on the tv series. I'd be willing to bet that the actors continue to receive money based on home video and rebroadcast/streaming revenue.

RedAlert likes this.
  4. Guy Gardener

She couldn't pay a 5 thousand dollar bail back in 2017, but she was able to pay restitution for exposing herself to those kids, so that's all dropped, which is the onus of this thread.

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

They all did seven seasons, four movies and didn't get repeatedly arrested. And they all still work. I'd say Lien can't really be compared to the TNG gang.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  6. Kira OneThree

Kira OneThree Cadidiot Red Shirt

This is really unfortunate. Honestly can't say I Kes was my favorite on the show, but it's sad to see the actress has gotten herself into trouble repeatedly.

7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would think all Trek actors would be set for life. If one needs money you always have Trek conventions to go pick up some money. Jason

RedAlert likes this.
  8. damfino

damfino Ensign Red Shirt

I don't think actors make alot of money in the first few seasons. Especially supporting actors. Pay goes up after contract renewal, and Lien's contract wasn't renewed.

9. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The convention circuit alone is a decent living for someone who was on Star Trek.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    unimatrix7 and RedAlert like this.
  10. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

I've heard of certain actors turning down roles in favour of working the convention circuit, as it means they can make just as much money from two day's signing autographs and posing for pictures as they would for doing an episode of something.

11. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The convention circuit for her would very easily be well into the 6 figures with just a little effort. So work weekends for about a half a year and make about a half million; seems like a pretty good deal.

12. catshadowsi8

catshadowsi8 Captain Captain

Me too! Makes me cringe.

Lynx likes this.
  13. jmidnight_99

jmidnight_99 Captain Captain

Kes was a pretty limp character. They had a hard time writing for her, the actress did not do well when they tried to stretch the part. I wish they hadn't dismissed her entirely, and hated the way they brought her back, but she was never going to be the standout character they were looking for. They should have offered her a smaller part, and kept her on to help the doctor.

RedAlert likes this.
  14. jmidnight_99

In some countries, charges were sealed, and they did not even have to tell the accused the nature of the charges brought against them. Here, such things are public record. I think this is a lot better than having your friend taken away, jailed or executed, and no one ever knows why. Who would benefit from hiding the charges or the circumstances? The government that's who.

15. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the actors, they get there yearly paycheck from the repeats.. the show still makes money because stations/streamers still have to pay for the show.. and as per contract, the actors get x amount per episode sold or so..
    Its not a full time acting paycheck, but it helps pay the bills.. and considering lets say the cast of Tng, they have 7 years of tv ( more for Woof) and 4 movies.. thats a nice paycheck.

I used to work at a law firm, and they had the ocasional "Guest Speaker" come in and talk to the troops, one time I saw what the guest got paid... it was $7500 for a 4 hour speaking! So technically, you could do 1 speaking a week and do quite well! ( Not an Obama or Bush $100,000 + speaker good)
    Now Ms Lien still does get a check because she was a "Main character" but depends on her contract. and since Voyager is on HuHu and Spamazon, and the Flix.. plus the odd station, she probably gets a decent check, is it 6 figures? probably not.. but if she had her check, and went to some conventions, opened a website selling some stuff, she could get by decently well.. but for her, I guess not, Wish her luck.

16. Guy Gardener

The people fronting the convention have to take out insurance, and Jennifer might now be too much of a liability, if they have to pay 5 times as much insurance to guarantee her stay as say Robert Picardo.

I doubt it's an uncomfortable amount of money, but it's about the bottom line.

Has Nicholas Brendon been banned from the convention circuit yet?

17. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Extrapolating to an extreme doesn't make for a very convincing argument in my eyes. To give a counterexample: I'm against the death penalty in any and all circumstances. Suppose now I were to say: " well, it's a lot better than having death sentences handed out like candy. " Is it true? Of course, but it doesn't say much, since it simply doesn't describe the situation in most "civilized" countries that have the death penalty - it's not handed out that lightly, and I would not be taking the justice system of countries that do have it seriously.

In this particular case, I believe the reasoning behind not making such records public is that the sentence handed out is, (for example) 6 months in prison, and not 6 months in prison and a lifetime of marginalisation and heavily reduced or even no chances on the job market for the rest of his or her life (which in itself could stimulate recidivism). Which would be likelier to happen if such records were public.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. jmidnight_99

The first paragraph of your response makes absolutely no sense to me. First of all, I couldn't care less how my argument appears in your eyes. I talk to single-minded people all day who can't put their thought into the context of a bigger picture.

We are talking about court records being made public as a matter of government transparency. Whatever analogy you're trying to make about the death penalty doesn't work.

Your second paragraph makes more sense to me, but I (and thankfully our lawmakers) disagree. The cost of the government being allowed to seal official records like this is astronomically higher than the inconvenience to a perpetrator. If the government was allowed to keep things like charges and court cases from the public, do you know how quickly huge abuses would occur that no one would ever know about?

Besides that, if you killed someone in a fit of rage, did your 8 years for manslaughter and got out, I think the public would have the right to know this before hiring you. You may have erased your debt to society, but you can never erase the fact that you DID it from history.

feek61 likes this.
  19. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I strongly disagree here.

Kes is far from a "limp" character. She is a very complex and interesting character.

She is nice and beautiful, yes. But also brave, determined, strong-willed and curious. In a way she personifies the spirit of Star Trek, a spirit which was lost when she was kicked out.

She had certain ways to get her will by sometimes moving around the problem and attacking it from another angle. As a character, she's actually both a contrast and a complement to more standard Starfleet female characters like Janeway and Torres.

Jennifer Lien did an excellent job in portraying Kes and I think she was brilliant in the episodes where Kes was the main character or one of the main characters.

I agree with you about what you wrote about the disgusting way she was dumped and the even more disgusting way they tried to ruin the character in the most insulting s**t episode ever made for TV.

Kes should have renained in the show even if they had to bring in Seven. DS9 had a lot of great "co-starring" characters like Garak, Nog, Rom, Martok, Winn and many other who were showing up in episode after episode. Even Voyager had its share of recurring characters like Naomi Wildman, Vorik and Icheb. And if they could add Worf to the cast of DS9 without kicking out any of the others, they could have kept Kes while adding Seven.

Shaka Zulu, Jayson1 and publiusr like this.
  20. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with everything you said except the part of them trying to ruin the character with her return. I think they just thought it would be cool to be all badass and then return to season 1. It was just badly written and thus it couldn't substain the gimmick. A problem the show often had. Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.