JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is the record for longest run by a single writer on a comic book series?
    Erik Larson is up to 200+ now on Savage Dragon isn't he? Or have other people written issues of that one?

2. Unaired Kai "the spy" TV Pilot

Unaired Kai "the spy" TV Pilot Vice Admiral Admiral

Dave Sim has done 300 issues of Cerebus.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

if I recall correctly, Brian Michael Bendis wrote over 200 issues of the Avengers, but that was split between multiple titles such as Avengers, Mighty Avengers, New Avengers, Dark Avengers and Avengers Prime.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I didn't realize that many writers had stuck with series that long. It seems like most of the time these days they only go a year or two before someone else takes over or the series ends.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I decided to take advantage of the big Spider-Man sale at Comixology and picked up my next three collections, American Son, Died in Your Arms Tonight, and New Ways to Live, and some gap filling uncollected standalones, ASM Extra 1-3, and Annual #35. Are there any other standalones or miniseries that are connected to the Brand New Day through American Son stories?

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Your Savage Overlord Moderator

Larsen has written and drawn all 247 issues of Savage Dragon. This includes the 3-issue mini-series and the ongoing series. There is the odd thing with issue 13 when all the Image creators swapped books for Image X-Month, but Erik eventually did his own version of 13 to keep his run intact.

7. YLu

YLu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's interesting. Does the new #13 overwrite the original, or is it a completely separate story? If the latter, is there anything special about the story that makes it a fitting #13 (like maybe being set in the past) or is the number ultimately meaningless and irrelevant?

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Your Savage Overlord Moderator

In Larsen's mind it's the only book that matters, especially since Jim Lee owned all the rights to the issue 13 he did, which means DC now owns the rights to it.

It's been a while since I read it, but I believe the 13th issue Larsen produced addressed some of the discrepancies introduced by Lee's 13, and he also worked in some of the WildC.A.T.s story he did when he took over that book for X-Month.

I haven't read the full article, but I believe Pipeline Comics did a pretty good job explaining it. https://www.pipelinecomics.com/image-25-image-x-month/

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found a little while ago that I missed some pretty big Amazing Spider-Man plot points when I didn't know about the ASM Extra comics, so I'm working my way through them right now. I'm about half way through #2.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Commodore Commodore

I wonder how this works? Does DC have to approve Image reprinting old books that might have guest starring appearances from Wildstorm characters?