JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Totally not SF/F at all, but I stumbled onto the series Sunstone a few weeks ago. It's written & drawn by Stjepan Šejić, who has also had some mainstream runs as the artist on Aquaman and stuff like that. It's a lesbian romantic comedy about bondage. The characters are really fun, with tons of relatable insecurities. And the bedroom scenes, while not hardcore, are some of the steamiest stuff I've ever seen.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was inspired by the new trailer for Captain Marvel to start the digital version of the first volume of Kelly Sue DeConnick's first Captain Marvel series. I'm part way through issue 2 and it's really good so far. It took me a little while to get used to Dexter Soy's artwork, but once I did I started to really like it.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

What year did that series come out? I read some a bit of Captain Marvel a few years ago and enjoyed it, but I haven't read the DeConnick run.

I picked up a couple of new Image titles this week. Self/Made and The Freeze. Both were solid starts to a new series. I've added both to my pull list.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's DeConnick's first run from 2012-2014, she also had a second one from 2014-2015.
    I noticed something kind of cool in this that I've seen in a few other digitial comics, a crazy kind of 3D effect, where certain elements seem to actually be in front of other ones. In this case some of the descriptive text seemed to actually be hovering over the rest of the panel.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  5. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Didn't know where else to put this, and it didn't seem worthy of its own thread.

I'm looking for DC runs that ignore the New 52/DC YOU/DC Rebirth reboot and continue with the Post-Crisis continuity as though nothing happened. I'm pretty sure the following are in-continuity with Jenette Kahn, Karen Berger, Dick Giordano & Paul Levitz's 1986-2011 Post-Crisis era. Am I missing any?

The Shade (2011-2012)
    James Robinson
    Green Lantern (2011-2013) Geoff Johns
    Batman Incorporated (2011-2013) Grant Morrison
    Batwoman (2011-2013) J.H. Williams III & W. Haden Blackman
    Animal Man (2011-2014) Jeff Lemire
    Swamp Thing (2011-2015) Scott Snyder/Charles Soule
    The Sandman: Overture (2013-2015) Neil Gaiman
    Convergence: The Question (2015) Greg Rucka
    The Omega Men (2015-2016) Tom King
    Shade, the Changing Girl/Woman (2016-2018) Cecil Castellucci
    Doom Patrol (2016-present) Gerard Way
    Eternity Girl (2018) Magdalene Visaggio
    Swamp Thing Winter Special (2018) Tom King
    The Dreaming (2018-present) Simon Spurrier

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the first New 52 Legion of Superheroes title continued the continuity of the Legion that came back after Final crisis, and that legion is the original Legion (minus the 5- years later run from the late 80s) brought back in a JSA/JLA team up and superman story arc before the New 52.

Legion Lost is technically in continuity with that, but more directly connects to the New 52, while the Legion of Superheroes book basically ignores the New 52 except for a slight implication in the last issue that it now takes place in the New 52 version of Earth 2 (but thats never directly said, so it still works with the pre-New 52 run).

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished reading it on Monday and I really enjoyed it. There was a lot of really nice character work, and the time travel story was pretty fun. It was a really nice introduction to the character, I especially liked that they actually went back to show how Carol got her powers. Dexter Soy's artwork in most of the first four issues took a bit of getting used to, but once I did I started to like it. I definitely like Emma Rios art a lot better in issue 5 & 6.

8. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

George Perez announced his retirement.

I had heard about his health issues in the last few years, including his waning eyesight (which delayed the completion of his great original series "Sirens" for over a year), so I'm not really surprised. But it is still sad that we won't see any new work by one of the greatest living comics artists. He defined the big event comics of both DC and Marvel with his work on "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and "Infinity Gauntlet", and his run on "Wonder Woman" is still my favorite to this day.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished up Rogues Revolution, the second volume of the New 52 Flash series last night. I really enjoyed it, The Rogues were pretty cool bad guys, and this makes me wish the show had focused more on them as a group.
    The stuff with Elias had some pretty nice twists.
    That was a hell of cliffhanger at the end of the last issue in the collection.

10. Savage Dragon

Erik Larsen just posted the cover to Savage Dragon 247. I thought it was kinda funny.

[​IMG]

KimMH likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a little sad how believable that is.

Savage Dragon and KimMH like this.
  12. Savage Dragon

For those of you who have read the "Resident Alien" series from Dark Horse, SyFy has ordered it to series and Alan Tudyk will be starring in it. I hope they can do it justice because it is a lot of fun.

KimMH likes this.
  13. Kai "the spy"

CBR| Berserker Unbound

"After announcing he was departing Marvel Comics earlier this week, artist Mike Deodato, Jr. has found a new project in the upcoming Dark Horse Comics series Berserker Unbound with writer Jeff Lemire.
    After previously collaborating on an acclaimed Thanos series for Marvel in 2016, the creative team is launching their sword-and-sorcery creator-owned series this August. The four-issue miniseries follows a warrior transported to a modern-day city while seeking to stop an evil wizard from conquering all of reality.
    "I really wanted to draw a barbarian story and Jeff turned this dream of mine into a reality with this deeply emotional story of friendship seen through multiple dimensions,” explained Deodato, Jr. in an interview with Paste magazine. "I am not exaggerating when I say this book has the most epic battles I’ve ever drawn! Berserker Unbound is a turning point in my career.”

[​IMG]

:lol: I fucking love this.

For context, Deodato's last Marvel work will be the first arc of the new "Savage Avengers" title, which sees Conan the Barbarian taken from the Hyborean Age and put into present day. And his first work after leaving Marvel is about a Conan-like Barbarian taken from his Sword-and-Sorcery world and put into present day.

KimMH likes this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always get a kick out of those kind of SFF character trapped in the modern day stories, so I might have to check that one out.

15. Kai "the spy"

Well, I'll say this, I'd actually be cool with a Conan-pastiche like this put in modern day than actual Conan, as in the Marvel series. It's the same as with Mark Waid's "Irredeemable" vs. DC's "Injustice". You can do stuff with a pastiche character that would feel wrong when done with the original character.

So, yeah, while I'll do my best to ignore the "Savage Avengers" series, I'm actually quite interested in this creator-owned book.

16. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

NCBD is coming; what are you looking forward to getting?

I like the Age of X-Man mini series- I was initially irritated that they had to do 5 minis and said I'd wait for the trades but of course I caved and they're not bad.

I gave up on Avengers because the prehistoric Avengers didn't hold my interest and I had to thin the herd.

Also looking forward to Deadman Logan- I like the old guy.

Runaways #19 and Magnificent Ms Marvel are both out too and Squirrel Girl and X-23 and X-Force- this is going to be a great weekend.

Heroes in Crisis came out last week (or prior?) but I'm behind my reading so may just double up when #6 comes out - my only DC book right now.

Blackbird is the only Indie I'm pulling- can't wait until Farmhand comes back though and am on the list for Ascender when it returns in April.

Free Comic Book Day is coming too- on May the 4th no less so am looking forward to that too.

17. Kai "the spy"

So, another new publisher is trying to get their own shared universe going. It is called Artists, Writers & Artisans, or AWA for short. What makes this one special are the people involved.

The two people at the head of it are former Marvel publisher Bill Jemas, as well as Axel Alonso, who until a year and a half ago was Editor-in-Chief of Marvel. IMO, Jemas especially makes this new publisher something to keep an eye on, as, even though he is known for micro-managing, it was during his time at Marvel in the early 00s that the company turned around from the brink of bancruptcy, as well as creatively with the launch of Ultimate Comics, Marvel Max, and others. It apparently was Jemas who raised the $ 5 million funding for AWA.

Also, chairman is set to be Jonathan Miller, who brokered the deal between Mark Millar and Netflix. This is obviously important, as comics in themselves are barely profitable these days. AWA is supposed to be publishing completely creator-owned comics (inside a shared universe, this has not been attempted since the early Image days, as far as I know), so my guess is creators might be willing to work with lower pay, if there's a prospect of their creations being licenced for TV or movies.

As for the creative people involved, there will be a "creative council" with big names like Reginald Hudlin, Garth Ennis, and J. Michael Straczynski.

The first batch of titles set for the launch of AWA this fall is announced as:

[​IMG]
    by writer Peter Milligan and artist ACO

[​IMG]
    by Christa Faust

[​IMG]
    by Frank Cho, and ...

[​IMG]
    by Michael Moreci.

Savage Dragon and KimMH like this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, those are some pretty impressive names.

So has anyone read any of IDW's Godzilla, GI Joe or Transformer comics?
    Of the three I've read one collected miniseries, Godzilla: The Half Century War, which was great, and I've been curious to try more Big G comics, and try out the other two franchises for the first time. My only experience with GI Joe is the two live action movie, and for Tranformers it was just the first live action movie.
    For any Godzilla fans, I'd highly recommend The Half Century War, it follows two soldiers' dealings with Godzilla and other Kaiju starting from 1954 to 2002.

KimMH likes this.
  19. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

ncbd 3.6.2019.jpg ncbd 3.13.2019.jpg ncbd 3.13.2019 a.jpg ncbd 3.20.2019.JPG

new comic book day pulls - the first is March 6th, the middle 2 are March 13 and the bottom is March 20th. Have been really pleased with Matt Rosenbergs UnCanny X-Men run- he's great.

Attached Files:

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read Batman (New 52 series) Vol. 2: City of Owls this week, and it was really good. The big battle between Batman and the Talons in the Batcave was really cool, and the stuff with Lincoln March was unexpected. The whole Court of Owls storyline was really good, and this was a nice, possibly temporary, end to that whole arc. Do we see them or March again after this? Don't tell me when please, just a yes or no. I was surprised by the stuff with Alfred's father, I had always assumed Alfred had already been with the family long before Bruce was born. The Harper Row story in the last issue was really good, and I really look forward to seeing her again.

KimMH and Greg Cox like this.