is Stargate dead for good?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Temis the Vorta, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Haven't there already been a couple of SG-1 movies? Or did I get that wrong.

2. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There have been 2 SG-1 movies so far. There's another SG-1 movie written and was pretty much green-lit before MGM went bankrupt, IIRC, plus the SGA movie that was also ready to go.
    I'm guessing that a SGU movie would be cheaper, as the sets are still standing, but my guess is that SG-1 and SGA would both still be more popular than SGU. But I don't see either the SGA or next SG-1 movies going ahead anymore.

3. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

We don't know, but in an earlier blog entry he said that Brad's plan woud involved all three legs of the series. So it could be a slate of movies, or maybe some fort of all-encompassing mini-series. It does seem though that of the three, SGU is the priority.

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

or it could be some form of first run syndication. (I noticed that SGU started weekend syndication in my area recently on a local station.)

It also makes some sense from MGM's standpoint sa - IF the Stargrate franchise was earning them something - they would want to see the money they've spent on the SGU sets, etc. continue to be used as opposed to starting up a differentr SG franchise project.

But like the blog entry said, it's Hollywood, and what looks like a 'done deal' one day, can be dead just as quick; so I honestly wouldn't put too much hope in a eprive as it were.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of getting the "miniseries to wrap things up" vibe, myself.

6. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I just hope they do something, anything, to wrap up SGU's story. I really want a resolution and not just a season finale cliffhanger.

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of the shenanigans after ENT ended. All the fruitless campaigning, shopping around, alternative media, etc. I just don't see anything coming from all of this.

Mr Awe

8. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Neither do I. And I have to say, Joseph Mallozzi is the kind of guy who seems 'cautiously optimistic' about everything. If he doesn't gradually change his tune like always I'll be really surprised. For the longest time he thought for sure the SG-1 and SGA movies were happening and at this point only the most delusional franchise fans insist it will happen. The rest of us range from 'slight chance' (me) to 'no way in hell'.

9. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

To be fair, they did pay to keep the Atlantis sets up throughout SGU's first season, so it does seem like it was a very real possibility. And with MGM out of bankruptcy with $500m to spend, it's still within the realms of possibility, however unlikely.

10. BlobVanDam

I'm in the slight chance group myself. I think the outcome of whatever is currently going on will be a pretty strong indicator of the future of the franchise. The SG-1 and SGA crew drifts further and further apart, so I think unless something happens very soon, it ain't happening at all. Even as it stands, I think the chances are fairly slim. Give it another year, and I think those chances are about nill.

11. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/02/05/february-5-2011-and-back-to-vancouver/

12. BlobVanDam

Oh I want to get excited, but I won't let myself at this stage. I'd like to think that the "few more goodies" might refer to the other SG series movies, because I don't know what else it would be at this stage, but that might be a leap.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's cool of Mallozzi to keep Stargate fans updated, but I hope he's not just giving them false hope.

14. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Originally he did say that Brads plan would involve all three legs of the franchise, so that could be the case.

15. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Brian J Smith tweeted this a couple of days ago.

http://twitter.com/BrianJacobSmith/status/33554206988304384

16. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Then yesterday he said:

http://twitter.com/BrianJacobSmith/status/34345476799070208

But an hour later he said...

http://twitter.com/BrianJacobSmith/status/34364784707112960

Weird. I wonder if he just assumed a movie was in the works, or knows there is and got told off about mentioning it?

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^I think he's just hoping since an SGU movie would mean work and a paycheck for him.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. You were just told you were fired along with hundreds of others and you really just want a job back.

I just can't picture anyone paying to make a SGU movie before a SG1 movie.

An Atlantis movie isn't needed.

19. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I'd say and Atlantis movie is needed a hell of a lot more than an SG-1 movie, which isn't really needed at all given that all the major arcs have been resolved.

I think there are a few reasons why an SGU movie would be a priority, firstly it's what the producers are pushing for, and Brad Wright is very pally with the higher ups at MGM, then there's the fact that there's still fan interest there which means less money needs to be spent promoting, plus all the sets are still up so money is saved there, and finally all of the actors are presumably still under contract and cheaper than their SG-1/Atlantis counterparts. Also if they look at AoT and Continuum sales, it was the movie that resolved the series that generated the most revenue, not the stand alone.

20. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Maybe. But it's weird how he lurched from "I know the guys are working on getting a movie made" to "I've heard nothing at all about an SGU movie".