is Stargate dead for good?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Temis the Vorta, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, the last season or so of SG-1 had at least the virtue of featuring Claudia Black. She makes anything better. ;)

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm one of the rare ones that enojyed the last two seasons. Ben Browder's Cameron, IMHO was funnier than Jack O'Neill (RDA) - Though I enjoyed alot of O'Neill's lines, he did grate on me on occasion.

I never thought SG1 was a top 5 Series of all time, but, it was always worth the entertainment for the time you took watching it (Some great episodes, others formulaic, but always done well). It's a series I'm happy I've seen, and hapy to own, so don't take my remarks as overly critical.

Goa'uld/Jaffa were Egyptian, Asgard were Norse, why not an (the) Ancient(s) represent the Arthurian, and the Orii a race of Magical Priests?

Claudia, Ben, Morena, Samantha (Amanda Tapping), Daniel (Michael Shanks), Teal'c (Christopher Judge), Lexa Doig (Dr. Lam), the Jaffa Civil War, Master Bra'tac (Tony Amendola), the Arthurian Quest...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  3. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first time I saw season 9 I was pretty meh on it, second time I thought it was ok, and third time I thought it was great. It did lack something from the absence of RDA, and Cam was at best a substitute, but after a dreadful 8th season, seasons 9 and 10 felt like they had new life, and it seemed like they were all having fun again. Not sure how I'd stack them up against the older ones, but they definitely ended strongly enough, and redeemed themselves after season 8.

4. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

They certainly had more of a concrete arc to them than previous seasons I thought, which was a nice change.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I thought seasons 9 and 10 were decent, but they were really a different show.

6. BlobVanDam

I consider them a different show. It's the same facility, and 3 out of 4 of the same team, but you had a new team leader, a new boss, a new doctor, a new enemy, and a new basis for the myths of the aliens.
    I see them as a different entity to SG-1, but not any worse. I think they really needed a fresh start after season 8, and I think they did a fairly good job of it.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That's why I kind of wish they'd gone ahead with their plans to officially end SG-1 after Season 8 and turn what became Season 9 into Stargate Command (I think that's what the title was going to be).

I really enjoyed both seasons 9 and 10, for what it's worth.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found that as the episodes went by Mitchell was becoming a more serious character. Yeah, he still had his sarcastic one-liners, but he didn't seem to be as much a comedic character as O'Neill.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

A good probability that, that is why Jack grated on me, on occasion, he was always a smart alec, and at times, it didn't fit the mood, it was wedged in.

10. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

It was, but Syfy wanted to break the X-Files record.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That's a dumb reason to continue a show. :p More people might have been inclined to check out a series premiere of a brand new show than the ninth season of one that was getting a bit long in the tooth.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It just felt a little odd to have Teal'c, Daniel Jackson, and Sam Carter back together on SG-1. The writers had to go through a lot of hoops to get the gang back together, all of which had places to be after the end of season eight.

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

SG1's season eight ratings were the highest the show had on Sci-Fi which is why it was renewed.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Season 9 started stong but dropped in the final few and season 10 remained low but higher than SG-A and SGU ratings when they were cancelled.

15. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Indeed. Though I expect that was largely down to the quality of season 7, and the fact that season 8 was airing alongside two new shows in SGA and BSG.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And by the end of this season, that record will again be broken, this time by Smallville.

17. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

More from Mallozzi:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...mistic-things-i-made-recommend-me-a-bat-book/

18. BlobVanDam

Looking more promising, but I still have no expectations right now. I don't want to get my hopes up after I've already accepted that SGU is done. But I can't wait to see what's been happening.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What the hell is he talking about? Getting SGU back, but not on SyFy? Doing yet another show? DVD films? What?

20. BlobVanDam

Pretty sure it won't be another show. They've stated that they're still dedicated to SGU. I'm not sure if a station other than SyFy will take a failing scifi show.

My guess would be a telemovie to wrap it up on SyFy. A direct to DVD film funded by MGM of SGU seems unlikely, as I'd expect SG-1 to still be the more popular choice there.