is Stargate dead for good?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Temis the Vorta, Dec 18, 2010.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what people said about Star Trek when Enterprise ended. Four years later, XI. Does four years count as "a generation or so?"

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If you leave something alone "a generation or so", you end up with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Blues Brothers 2000.

3. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

I think it is pretty much dead.. it might get a movie of something (SG1), but I doubt there will be much more. I think since the humans have gotten the Asgard database I kinda think the premise for Stargate has been somewhat shattered.

The humans where the low-tech race that would fight against the more advanced aliens, well, now humans have asgard tech so have pretty much the highest tech level, except for some ancient stuff, which they have too.

Bu I think it has changed it too much.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No reason why not. None at all.

5. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

While I'm confident that JJ could deliver a quality product, I'd really hate a reboot. It's lazy in my view, big name writers can't be bothered with the tedium of gettiing up to date with a shows lore and then creating something original, so they just modernise a tried and testing existing formula. If he willing to build a new story upon existing mythology though, I'd be all for it.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Generally it makes sense to ignore existing mythology when the existing mythology has reached a point of total ridiculousness, as Stargate's has.

7. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

How so?

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. Throwing this stuff away isn't lazy, it's very sharp.

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Stargate mythology has gotten ridiculous? It was ridiculous from the movie on. They did a fantastic job trying to throw us a bone of rationalization here and there, and some relatively logical development of consequences and such, but the whole idea is nuts. SG-1 fortunately didn't try to mesh idiocy and emo-fest "drama" and got away with it.

The more "serious" they want to go whenever "they" want to revive Stargate, the more desperately they need to reboot the mythology. Which, like it or not, includes the tech. Nice as the Big Ring of Water has been, it's time is over.

10. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

Actually, I think once they got away from using the big ring of water to travel to other worlds, they lost there uniqueness and there wasn't really any compelling point to it.

I didn't wan't to see the humans flying around in space ships in stargate, i wanted them using the stargates and not know what was always on the otherside.

11. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All their spaceships were indeed more boring than the gate.
    However, I was being very literal here, and meant merely, the Stargate shouldn't still be a Big Ring of Water. Gate, yes. Pool without a lifeguard, no.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Once they started going into Star Trek territory with hyperdrives and beaming technology, I started to lose interest. They should have stuck with the stargate being the setting's only method interstellar travel. Maybe use gates of different sizes for spaceships to travel through.

13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Do you not think that the franchise just ran its course? Everything has to end some time.

14. The Wormhole

This post got me thinking: just how many times has the Stargate even been seen in season 2? By my count 4. The premiere, Aftermath where they dug the gate out on the planet the shuttle crashed, Awakening where we saw all those half-constructed gates in storage aboard the seeder ship, and that one where Robert Knepper went all badass.

I don't think it's a good thing that something that is part of the shows title is only in four out of ten episodes that have aired in the season.

15. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since they are stranded on a ship traveling between galaxies, and a gate network with only a very limited range, it's understandable that the gate is featured less.

That said, I can safely say that if I made a list of my top 5 favourite SGU episodes so far, they would all feature the Stargate prominently. The early episodes with minimal gate travel were the most boring episodes, and Time was the first episode to get me interested because it featured the Stargate. And the couple of episodes where everyone is going back and forth through the gates to get back to Destiny before it leaves the galaxy were also among the better ones, as was Justice where they dumped Rush offworld, and the episodes where the Lucian Alliance are trying to gate in. All gate episodes. The show is definitely at its best when they're off world instead of being stuck in a bland rusty corridor.

16. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

^^ I'm not a great fan of Time. It just seemed to me like a tired sci-fi trope updated with SGU level production qualities, although I suppose the way the gate and kino's were used was clever. Other than that though it seemed a bit pointless, we get some character exposition (not even development as it's all AU) and the alien venom, and that's about it. In terms of my favourite episodes though, the use of the gate isn't that important, some it's used, some it isn't. Cloverdale and Human it's used for example, not not so in Darkness and The Greater Good.

Why not? You realise that it's not actually meant to be water, right?

17. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Time would still be my favourite episode. Sure, they've done time travel with the gate plenty of times, but I felt that they took a classic SG element (as well as classic scifi staple) and put a different spin on it to what SG-1 and SGA ever did. It was the first time I really felt like the new style of SGU was able to mesh well with some of the elements of SG-1 that I loved (what can I say, I'm a sucker for time travel).
    And it was also a good episode for character back story, especially Eli, who had been mostly comic relief up until that point. I think this was the first episode where he showed a bit more variety.

18. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I used to really dislike Eli's character to be honest, mainly because of David Blue's performance I think. Not because it was necessarily bad, but the socially ineptness and thye cringe-worthy jokes were hard to watch. He's been a lot better this season I think, gradually going darker, and according to David Blue by the end of season 2 he's barely recognisable as the same character from Air.

19. The Wormhole

Actually, it's pretty much by the numbers and exactly the same as any and every other time travel episode done previously in Stargate and even Star Trek. The only thing that makes it different is that they didn't actually show everything reset. It just ends with everyone dead or nearly dead, and then in the next episode there all alive. Which I find annoying. That sort of thing might work for a cartoon comedy like South Park, but this is live action "gritty harsh reality." Or rather, it's pretending to be.

20. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

They assumed a degree of intelligence in the audience. What they did next was obvious, it didn't need showing.