is Star Trek (1)4 happening?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Danlav05, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Don't they have the 2 leads and Bad Robot optioned? When does that expire?

2. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

they definitely have pine and quinto signed for another. that probably won't expire for a few years. not sure what the status is with bad robot.

3. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

C’mom Paramount!

Make

It

So!!!!!!!

pst likes this.
  4. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

Paramount has filled out it's 2019 summer schedule and Star Trek is not on it. Star Trek 4 is likely not happening.

5. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is a shame but I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of Discovery.

6. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

My rather forlorn hope is that they are holding out for Abrams to be available again. Some reports have indicated that they are likely to renegotiate his deal in 2018, so perhaps they'll get underway once he's on board. I'm increasingly pessimistic though

I love the Kelvin films, but I can certainly understand why they'd not make another one. They've had decreasing returns on high budgets, and the cost of the cast will only get higher - especially if Hemsworth (one of the highest-paid actors currently) is added.

As for a non-Kelvin film, I'm not sure that would be particularly feasible either. If the most popular modern show couldn't make much of a fist of it, and a fresh take with a star director/cast and rave reviews falls well short of other genre films, what will work?

Much as I love the thrill of a new Trek film, I think it's financially more sensible to stick to TV.

Markonian likes this.
  7. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well maybe, just maybe, they shelve JJTrek for now and after a few years come out with a 25th century Trek on the big screen?

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Again, Terminator Genisys was a flop, making less than $90m domestic. Now Paramount are making another one, again starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Star Trek Beyond made $158m domestic. There's no way they're not going to make more Star Trek, whether it's with this cast or not.

They're likely not going to talk about it right now not to steal the limelight from DSC. Maybe they'll sync up to release between seasons, or something. Maybe it'll be 2020.

9. donners22

It also made $100 million more than Beyond worldwide, on a lower budget. I realise domestic income is more valuable to the company than non-domestic, but that's a big gap.

Incidentally, Beyond has earned less from DVD & Blu-ray sales in 17 weeks than Into Darkness did in its first week. That's staggering.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But how much did it make from digital downloads and the like? Physical media has fallen quite a way from 2013 to 2016. I know Into Darkness was the #3 digital download of 2013 and it was released in November.

But still, you're right that interest has fallen. The worldwide gross spells that out in mile high letters, even though Beyond was still Paramount's biggest money movie of 2016. I still can't imagine them not making something Star Trek in the next few years.

Markonian likes this.
  11. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like the Warcraft movie, the domestic gross was nonexistent but the money made in China was insane.

12. USS_Serenity

USS_Serenity Ensign Newbie

Though with Star Trek Discovery being on air now, I have no doubt the franchise will generate new fans and revenue... Plus sequels are always guaranteed money due to people wanting to know what happens next or people who just want to hate watch

13. donners22

That seems to be a fair chunk of the Trek audience.

They should make something which just pushes every button for people like that and see what happens.

14. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

They made that in 2013.

15. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

And people decided to to go see beyond because of it. Beyond gets blamed for darkness' failings :(

16. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As much as I’m enjoying Discovery on TV, I’m more excited about seeing a Kelvinverse Trek movie no. 4 (if another were to happen) - not that either Trek is competing against the other mind you.

Basically I just really want Trek 4 to happen - and I spend a lot more time than I should, wondering, and excited about, what that movie would entail...

:)

MFB likes this.
  17. USS_Serenity

USS_Serenity Ensign Newbie

Chris Hemsworth has been talking to JJ Abrams about a sequel as he wants to reprise his role as Kirk Sr. So it shouldn't be too far off, and Beyond was actually great.

Yea... I suppose they are bound to do that with any new interpretation, but so long as Star Trek is in the title, Trekkies everywhere will at least give it a shot.

18. donners22

Well, they announced his involvement before Beyond's release.

Unfortunately, great though Beyond was, it didn't do well.

That makes another Kelvin film unlikely, let alone one with Hemsworth, who's one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood.

Markonian likes this.
  19. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

Please, no more.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This.

'09 was O.K., STID less so and Beyond worse and even more disappointing as Pegg writing it gave me hope.

Please stop.