Is Star Fleet Battles officially dead?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by ChallengerHK, May 6, 2019.

1. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just about everything from Steve Jackson games tended to be fast, furious and fun...

2. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

There's an annual local gaming convention in the small city where I live. Attendance under 1000. Every year, a guy shows up to run wargame-ish games like SFB and MechWarrior. He usually has a tableful most of the weekend, armed with miniature terrain and tape measures. I played an introductory scenario with him one year, single Fed & Klingon light cruisers duking it out. While it was fun, it was a lot to remember just for that short time. I lost, of course.

I'd seen the SFB rulebooks for decades, but never bought any because I had no one to play with, and a reluctance to get sucked into long-form wargames (a bad high school experience with the Avalon Hill Midway game...). I even bought a set of Star Trek ship minis (based on the Technical Manual) from Lou Zocci at a different small local con in about 1980. But nothing has changed about my lacks of opportunity and massive amounts of time to devote. I have lots of other interests that are easier to devote time to... :shrug:

3. StarCruiser

What's sad about that is ABD created a Cadet rules set version specifically for introducing new players to the game. Those cons should be using those specific rules for "newbies".

4. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Lieutenant Red Shirt

I never thought their Cadet rules were well optimized for teaching. I created my own.

5. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Well of course you did. Because that's just the sick sort of thing that someone who really enjoys SFB would get their kicks from doing. ;) ;)

^^(Please read that in the tone that it is intended in. I'm not really calling you a sicko. Well, maybe a little neurotic, but pot, meet kettle. :D I've never, ever, ever created my own complete D&D campaign setting. Or 10.)

ATimson and StarCruiser like this.
  6. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Lieutenant Red Shirt

No offense taken. And you may be right

Seriously, though, I think making my own cadet rules came from having been a teacher and then an instructional designer. Every time I tried to use the cadet rules they made, I'd hit some point where iI would say "This is not really optimized for learning."

StarCruiser and USS Triumphant like this.
  7. StarCruiser

^ And that's probably the saddest truth of all!

I can't remember if I ever actually tried the Cadet rules myself (many moons have past since then).