Spoilers Is Jet Reno related to McCoy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Unimatrix Q, Feb 11, 2019.

?

Is she related to Dr McCoy?

1. Absolutely

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. That's a strong possibility

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Maybe

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Unlikely

39 vote(s)
    48.1%
  5. No way in hell

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  2. Succubint

Succubint Captain Captain

I don't think the writers would go there. Enough connections already with Burnham and Spock's family. I do agree she's sort of a spiritual pre-cursor.

While it may not seem that explicit in the dialogue, I did get a sense of compassion and charm from her. Definitely rougher, though, than McCoy's more Southern gentility.

To me, she really did seem to care about those injured on the Hiawatha. There's a sad affection in her tone while talking about the Tellarite's wound constantly reopening. "Poor guy" Then when she's told the war is over, her first thought is again for one of the patients. "You hear that Valentine, we're going home."

She went out of her way to keep those officers alive. For over 10 months, with vastly depleted resources and no support. She cannibalized tech and created "the kids" to help her. That's some dogged duty. No one would have blamed her for cutting her losses and trying to focus on her own survival. But she jury rigged a bunch of stuff to keep alive the hope that some day she'd get her fellow crew members home. Her expression when they're finally beamed to safety is joyful.

Yes, she and Stamets got into a snark fest, but that seemed pretty specifically a beef between the two of them because of their fields of expertise. She still was pretty funny in how she quipped back. I also dug the fact that the gum she requested was to fix the coupling.

Also, and this is just my own take on things, when she said , "Wrong!" to Parasite May and kicked in the blow torch, I got a brief flash of Ripley from the Alien series being strongly protective. I wouldn't have minded at all if at that moment she'd said, "Get away from her, you b***ch".

YMMV, however, and I can see how some ppl might interpret her manner as just cold and detached compared to other warmer characters. Then again, I also related to Stamets from the very beginning, even though people were complaining he was too bitter and combative in those first few eps.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IMHO, Stamets is way more "cold" than Reno. He's a jerk in a way that she isn't.

4. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Kind of like comparing Picard and Jellico. We have watched one and gotten to like them, and then another comes that is pretty similar in demeanor that people hate.

5. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think they should be, it makes the whole Trek setting feel much smaller.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Most of them go into the Diplomatic Corps.

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Or get a fast track promotion to Admiral.

Kemaiku likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Or admirals.
    Edit: Ninja'd.

Kemaiku likes this.
  9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Reno uses the snark to cope with situations she knows aren't the best.
    She's been through the ringer and come out the other side pretty much with flying colors.
    But she's a fighter and that means never admitting that there's something she can't fix or beat...
    Even her own emotions.
    She's lost her own ship and is kind of a second fiddle on the Discovery, so she's making the best of the situation.
    I'd be kinda snarky most of the time also, I think.
    :shrug:

10. Nerys Myk

She has a different flavor of snark than McCoy.

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

What happened to that guy? I liked reading his ENT reviews. And speaking of that where is Sam Cogley?

12. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Commodore

She’s his ex wife’s sister. :)

13. Nerys Myk

She's McCoy's sister. (Because everyone loves character's sisters)

BillJ likes this.
  14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dark Helmet: "I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate."
    Lone Star: "So what does that make us?"
    Dark Helmet: "Absolutely nothing."

15. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, it's an interesting question. I feel it deserves some research and reflection. I've watched the two episodes Reno appears in in slow-motion 18 times each. I also went back and re-watched all of the McCoy scenes in TOS and the TOS movies. Additionally, I've spent considerable time reading interviews, production notes, etc. to make sure I've gained some perspective.

I've also taken into consideration the likely backstories of the characters, what their relationship could possibly be, and how that might work. I wrote some fanfic this morning kind of teasing the whole thing out, and I think it is great, and also very plausible. Maybe it's something a future Short Trek could explore, although I doubt something of this magnitude could be dealt with in 15 minutes.

Ultimately, if you look at the subtle hints and nuisances in the performances, I'd say there's probably kind of definitely a chance that they might be related.

I'm just fuckin' with you, BTW. I voted "no way in hell". I don't see it at all. They're nothing alike.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No idea what he's up to now, but he moved on from here a long time ago. Cogley still turns up once in a while, though.

Cyrus and Turtletrekker like this.
  17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most Women do.
    :ouch:

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

All cranky people in Star Trek must be related.

:rolleyes:

Nyotarules and BillJ like this.
  19. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Premium Member

McCoy and Reno are the parents of Joanna McCoy, who is the grandmother of Katherine Pulaski.

I'm sure we can work V'ger and the Borg into the family tree if we try. :rofl:

20. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And Lewis Zimmerman...