Is it time for naked aliens on "Discovery"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jayson1, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Nudity is always the right answer.

Savage Dragon and somebuddyX like this.
  2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

... and to protect them from the exploding consoles. I guess rank insignia could be in the form of tattoos but the purpose of uniform is to have everyone dress uniformly.

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Commander Red Shirt

Consider that nearly every (or at least most humanoid) species ST has introduced us to, wears clothing... not counting Ferengi females... it's already been established; Vulcans wear clothes, Romulans, Klingons, Andorians, Tellerites, crap... even the Gorn wear clothing.

Why would it change now?

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wouldn't.

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure why not, it's not like aliens will have the same "plumbing" as humans so there wouldn't be anything for hormone-high teenaged boys to get over-excited about :rolleyes:

Are we now so desperate for new Trek that we'll discuss anything? :lol:

6. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

What I really want to know is are we going to see more non chocolate flavoured ice cream in trek?

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Exactly, if it's covered in fur, scales, so many limbs you can't tell what's what or simply has no "plumbing" to begin with, you could get away with half a dozen naked species.

Kevin and his race were running around naked in Beyond already.

8. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Less clothes on men. More clothes on women. :techman:

{ Emilia }, φ of π and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  9. KyleRaynous

KyleRaynous Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It worked for HBO so far...

10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The answer to your question is, yes! Next up it's time to discuss are favorite "Discovery" episode so far. It's either going to be

1 The one with Mudd.
    2 The one that might have had Dorn in it, but proably won't have him in it.
    3 The one with the Andorian in it, that is implied in the promo video we got awhile back.
    4 The one were all the klingons are sitting around a table eating lunch, on contempary earth.

These are your options. :)

Jason

Thowra likes this.
  11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'll wait for the inevitable musical episode before picking a favourite.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect that if they did this, the aliens would be like Mystique in the X-Men movies... or something we've already seen in Trek, the butterfly-eating dancers from ENT "Broken Bow."

Someone criticized the decon scenes for being "gratuitous." But the real problem with the decon scenes is that they didn't make sense because the characters were still wearing anything at all!

For true decontamination, all articles of clothing, both outer and inner, should be completely removed and put into an incinerator or some other separate sterilization process. The way the decon process was depicted in ENT, there was a huge risk of missing a spot with that gel, and having residual contamination from the undergarments.

Maybe it could be a display of bravery. The ancient Picts used to charge into battle completely naked. And Trek is big on aliens who have advanced technology and weapons but are socially primitive and backward.

Kor

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

There. Are. Three. Breasts!!

Greg Cox likes this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And also because they depended on decon gel. Surely it would be more efficient to use some kind of automatic system?

I know they didn't have sonic showers in ENT's time frame, but they could have had sonic decon chambers which would be the later inspiration for sonic showers.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The idea I suppose is that the gel is activated by the constant black light/soft UV illumination of the decon chamber itself. Phlox tells the people in there several times during the series if they're still covered in any microbes, so there are sensors all over the place that can scan for singular microbes on the skin.

The modesty slips are likely made of something porous to all of this that the radiation and gel soak/pass through regardless.

16. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

At least there was a "science" explanation for that romantic and sensual moodlighting during sexy, almost-naked rub-down scenes. I'm sure it wasn't reverse engineered as an excuse or anything after the fact...lol

17. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Rather like that video I watched last night which was basically about a plumber come round to fix a ladies taps while her husband was out. Totally an explanation and in no way would what came next have happened if he hadn't dropped his wrench requiring her to bend over and pick it up.

18. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

19. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I assume they changed out of their uniform (which was sterilized in some way) and into the decon underwear, probably in some private chamber before hitting the decon room for full effect.

Maybe the decon underwear was slathered on the inside with the gel.

20. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We saw genitals in Star Trek VI. They were on that guy's knee.