Intrepid class has the sexiest Bridge imho

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Trekboy1993, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Trekboy1993

Trekboy1993 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Whats your favorite

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Of the starfleet ships I like Voyager's best too. I never cared for the TOS bridge, it's way too colorful for my taste, TNG's was okay but in retrospect felt too empty, Defiant's felt like the budget version of a bridge.

grimorie likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favourite:
    [​IMG]

Voyager's bridge looked uncomfortable, with Tuvok and Harry forced to stand in little booths like supermarket checkout workers. You also couldn't get many of the characters in the same shot due to how it was arranged.

And that two-chair arrangement for Janeway and Chakotay? Yuk.

Lance and DS9forever like this.
  5. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never particularly liked the design of Voyager, inside or outside. Not that there's anything really wrong with it, but its choice of rounded shapes and contours is just a bit too 'nineties' for my taste-- which of course is personal. Then again, the ent-D -which overall I still like more as far as design goes -not really the bridge though-- is very 'eighties' in many respects. Most starships designs simply reflect the fashion at the time at which they were created, I suppose.

I find it hard to decide which bridge I like most, every one has pro's and cons. Perhaps it would even be the Defiant's, because that one seems to be the most realistic to me, in that it seems all about function in a compact space.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    DS9forever likes this.
  6. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

I’ll take TOS any day of the week. The log scenes from “Court-Martial” suggest how well it would have worked in 16:9.
    BEC713B6-8318-4CEB-B82A-6B42BED73C04.jpeg 724BC354-57B0-438A-B2D4-0FAA9F28A474.jpeg

7. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Intrepid Class but have liked most of the others. Discovery not so much. It's dark and dull and spread out to the point where the Captain has to take a hike to get to the 'view screen'. Awful.

Even like the Prometheus Class.

She was such beautiful vessel (USS Voyager). The way she could land :)

8. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Easily my favorite, but I like all of them(well, mostly all of them. I can think of 2 or 3 that are so overdesigned, they cause your left eye to loosen) runner ups for me are the Defiant and NX.

(BTW, Tuvok and Kim have little stools)

I also love the TOS and TNG bridges. I don't care for the TNG movie bridge

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought it was just a little bit weird that Intrepid-class bridges don't have the captain's chair in the center. Every other bridge in Trek history has done this, so why did they have to go and upset the proverbial apple cart? :lol:

I know this is nitpicking to the Nth degree, but it just looks...WRONG that the captain and first officer's chairs are given equal spacing on the bridge. Besides, why does the first officer even get a chair in the first place? They should be busier than anyone else on the bridge--on the entire ship, really--up to and including the captain. For the XO, there literally shouldn't be any TIME to sit down.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because Mom and Dad are equals. Someone thought it was cool, because they did the same thing on Orville, and I've never heard anyone complain about Captain McFarlane's bridge.

On the other hand, Picard's bridge was designed for the Captain's committee.

grimorie likes this.
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fixed that for ya ;)

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Voyager's is pretty solid, can't complain too much about it. Wide for the camera shots, but as a functional bridge, pretty good. Enough space, everyone's facing the right way, not overblown or too busy. Double turbolifts, easy access to briefing room and ready room. Maybe Tom could have shared that giant console with a second person, though; lots of space there he can't possibly reach. Always thought that functionally, it made sense for weapons to be next to helm, as the two of them need to be most in sync during a battle, but not a biggie.

Looking at pics, the Sovereign bridge isn't too shabby either. Maybe a little dark in color, but layout is good. Enough consoles, facing the right way, Captain raised up a little more so he can see what's going on up front, etc. Probably my backup choice.

Defiant fits the space 'right', and is laid out well for what is it, just not a favorite personally. And really limited with regard to mission profile, which again is correct for what the ship IS, just not the bridge layout I'd want if I had a ship and you were installing my new bridge on Tuesday.

grimorie likes this.
  13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I never particularly cared for the Intrepid-class bridge. It always seemed a bit cumbersome to me.

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah nah, the Intrepid bridge is a weak comnect. Too many weird little alcoves and bannisters, it feels a little... overdesigned. I feel the same way about the TNG movie bridges, they both feel cluttered and closed in (ironic, as the TV version of 1701-D's bridge felt fine, what they did with it in GENS feels messy)

So it's between the original, maybe some of the TOS movie bridges, and the Defiant. I'm leaning towards the Defiant because it feels suitably streamlined and uncluttered while being functional. The tighter space actually works in its favor in feeling more like a submarine/realistic. If there were ever a real life Starfleet, I could believe in the vessels being more like the Defiant than the vast spaces of the various other ships we see. It just feels more real somehow, less like a movie set. VOY's and 1701-E's bridges both feel like movie sets. One problem I feel with VOY is how wide the set is. It looks like it was built to be seen in 16:9 widescreen but everyone back then was still shooting in 4:3 and so you never really get a feel for the set, it just kind of loses perspective. Poor Tuvok and Hapless Harry Kim tucked away in their corners only to be seen when the camera cuts away to them but seldom in a long shot :D ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  15. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS all the way! That bridge seemed just big enough and had a real good view of the voyage ahead when they decided to let us see it with Shatner walking around the place!
    JB

16. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

The bridge of the Enterprise D in "generations".
    An the bridge of the Defiant and Enterprise refit

17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

NX01 Bridge. It has Hoshi in it. Oh and it's a really good bridge.

IMC Headquarters and Levi like this.
  18. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I've always been a fan of the Galaxy Class bridge on the Enterprise-D.
    I would have liked to see an updated version (not a refit). Just with new materials. But keep the wooden panels. :) Maybe some slightly darker walls and different carpet. Newer monitors and such.

Lance likes this.
  19. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

1701-D in "Generations" or the alternative universe version in "Yesterday's Enterprise". GEN gets the nod for shadow detail, which is fantastic.

Then NCC-1701 TMP. Very militaristic and with levers and buttons too
    Then 1701-A (STV:TFF) so gleaming and bleached
    Then 1701-A (STVI: TUC) - much more decorative with the red. I'd otherwise say "replace the red digital clocks with cuckoo clocks" except it wasn't a parody, nor did anybody make a parody at the time as such.

TOS' works, loved the Technicolor red railing, but the aforementioned versions just do more.

1701-E's bridge just didn't do it for me.

Nor the "Apple Store with lens flares" version.

Lance and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  20. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't like how Voyager didn't seem to fit the camera frame, but I still praise that bridge layout the best.