I'm building the entire Starship Enterprise interior at 1:25 scale

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mike Nevitt, Mar 5, 2023.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Maybe keep the shops on the outer rim…where the corridor curve is less severe. Maybe wider corridors as you go rimward..it also lightens it a bit.

The working areas are coreward.

This is your ship of course.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I love that he’s even modeling the GNDN works, but egad he has laid out a task for himself. This is one fraction of a wedge of a saucer-shaped structure thats as tall as a 10-story building with — just for the two biggest decks — more square footage than a city block in New York City. If he’s going to continue with this level of detail, I’ll be retired long before he’s finished just the saucer section!

3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, it's not that big a deal. You just build one section and then you duplicate it where it repeats, maybe as some kind of... array...

Ohhhhh, I see it now. ;)

Richard S. Ta and blssdwlf like this.
  4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

This looks like an interesting project but I'm a bit confused how this is going to work, once the ship is finished, how do you get to see the interiors?

5. Tallguy

Ever seen Fantastic Voyage?

6. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Warped9 saw one of the videos where he (the OP) said he was going to build it so sections could slide out.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I’ve seen all his videos so far. He says he will build it so sections can slide out so you can see inside.

In one video he said he looked forward to being able to look down a turbolift shaft from top to bottom. That I gotta see.

8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The size of the workload is manageable because he enjoys the hobby, and intends to plug away at it for years. Even so, he'll need a way to make the repetitive parts efficiently. Staterooms alone number in the hundreds.

My biggest concern is how he can devote so much floor space to the finished model, and for how long in the years after it is finished. At scale, the saucer will be 17 feet wide. From bow to hangar doors, the overall model (with no warp engines) will be 28 feet long. That's 476 square feet of indoor space, not counting the needed margins for a person to be in the room with it.

The length reminds me of another large model, the 28-foot Titanic miniature built by 20th Century Fox for its 1953 film of the same name. You hate to throw it away after the movie is made, but finding a place to put it is an issue. From 1972 to 1985, it was displayed at Northtown Mall in Blaine, Minnesota. Now it's at a museum in Fall River, Massachusetts. It was lucky to find a home— and its width is substantially less than the Enterprise model we're discussing.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

He said his model, with warp engines, will be about 40ft. long. He must have a long term plan where he’ll put it.

Ronald Held and Richard S. Ta like this.
  10. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's going to need space for a 38' long x17' wide x 9'2" tall model. Probably a little taller for a base and framework.

11. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*Indiana Jones voice*

It belongs in a museum!

publiusr and Phaser Two like this.
  12. ZapBrannigan

Another thing: I don't know if Mike Nevitt has mentioned this in his videos, but if he's smart, he will affix a hidden part number to each piece of the model, and maintain a written key that maps out just where each piece goes.

A model of this size, if it survives for any length of time, will inevitably need to be disassembled, packed up, and moved to a new location at some point. Worse: it might even have to be reassembled by someone other than Mike, say a museum worker. Numbered parts and an instruction sheet will be a lifesaver.

"Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency." :)

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well he is likely perusing this thread so he'll read these suggestions. Or you can leave a comment on his videos on Youtube.

14. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pan-dimensional engineering would be THE way to build models like this! Any Timelords on the forum?

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  15. Tallguy

No...

Metryq likes this.
  16. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yes. Given his level of planning and attention to detail, I can't believe he didn't anticipate the issue of where to keep it once assembled *before* beginning his exhaustive work.

17. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

His latest video says he plans to raffle/give/sell? off sections of the model in the future, I assume, after he finishes the completed model. He also said he plans to have one or more workers helping to build the model in a studio space.

18. ZapBrannigan

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This project is crazy awesome!

20. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Hmm, you’re right… he says he’s using the Franz Joseph blueprints, which indicate the Enterprise is 127.102 m in width (i.e., the diameter of the saucer section), which is indeed 417 feet.